1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

healing fire - some tests and a question

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Doomlord, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm playing tcp/ip nowadays and the last time I imported one of my paladins whom I had used in BG1.I made Lord Lothar a cavalier and joined the game.To my surprise he had Cloak Of Balduran -a really nice cloak- and a ring of fire res..When I gave him some stuff I saw he had %127 fire res.( max attainable amount of res.) and %75 mag. res.(carsomyr+cloak of balduran). I made some tests and saw that fire hadn't hurt; actually it healed him.Now, is this a bug or does res. works in this way in AD&D? (I never had enough fire res. in any of my paper D&D games to even care about it :).
    *How can I gain that extra mag. res. to reach to immunity?I gave him Ring Of Gaxx and reached 85%.I remember an amulet giving 5 but don't remember anything more.Thanks for replies...

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Have never heard about "resistances actually healing" a character. But, there are ALOT of things in the BG series that don't conform 100% with the AD&D rules. However there is another amulet purchasable in the Underdark that gives +10% magic resistance. Also the Red Dragon Scale (after killing Firkraag) gives additional fire resistance.

Also the Inertial Belt purchased in Trademeet gives some mgaic resistances as well. Let us all know if you figure out some 'inside' trick or if it is... just a bug.

3. Doomlord Gems: 4/31

Yes,fire now heals Lord Lothar but he only has %127 fire res.(he should have 160 -50 from red dragon scale,50 from one ring,40 from another,20 from helmet).So %127 res. is resistance cap.
    My sorceress' fireballs healed him 2-5 points and Firkraag wasn't so happy when it saw his breath healed him too -though it lowered his fire res. and then kicked the lonely paladin hard :)-...
    There must be a way of calculating damage when there is a resistance.I think it was something like this:
    damage taken= (original dam.) x ((100- res)/100)
    So a resistance of 120 must actually heal the target for 1/5 of original spell damage(ex: heal 10 points if the spells original -no res.- damage was 50 points)
    I cannot confirm it yet(I am searching it in my D&D books).But one thing I know is if any char type is able to reach magic immunity by normal means then we have one major design flaw here..With cloak of mirroring you can even solo a paladin or monk(which should be pretty boring though-just standing next to a dragon or mage and have them kill themselves).
    I will post my results when I find the amulet and test no sav. throw allowing spells on my paladin like imprisonment.

4. Doomlord Gems: 4/31

Oh, BTW Inertial Belt gives you res. to missile weapons, breath saves and mag. damage but not to magic itself.Anybody knows where can I find mag. res. giving items?Lord Lothar has the Cloak Of Balduran which normally isn't in the game.But there must be items to compensate it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.