1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Television Coverage of the War

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elios, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I found some of these things quite amusing with the television coverage of the war.

CBS appeared to be the first to break away from coverage of the war and return to normal programing. What did they return to? Survivor

On a local news coverage here, they were showing different sporting events and how the games were stopped to listen to Bush's speech. At one game, the focused on a guy cupping his hands over his ears, it was an older gentleman. The news caster's comments? In all seriousness, "Some people couldn't bear to listen to the speech and had to cover their ears."
    Are these people that stupid? If anyone has ever been to a sports arena, you know how bad the acoustics are. Major echoing. If you cover your ears, or cup your hands over them, you eliminate some of the echoing (you just can't hear it) and you can make out what is being said over the PA.

Brian Williams reporting for NBC, had a really bad case of the hiccups.

Was it just me, or did Saddam resemble former announcer for the Chicago Cubs Harry Carry when he spoke to the Iraqi people? (It was the glasses)

Tonight's episode of "The Simpsons" on Fox was when Bart "went to war" against Nelson. It was one of the early episodes. He got all the neighborhood kids to band together, and the pelted Nelson and his gang with water balloons in a final battle. Then Bart and Nelson signed a peace traty. The episode ended with Bart talking how war wasn't really all that great. Wonder if this was a coincidence or not?

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Did you also notice that there will be no "red carpet" arrivals at the Oscars this weekend, and that televised coverage of the NCAA basketball tourney games is likely to be bumped from CBS to ESPN, so war coverage won't be interrupted?

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Here they were screaming that Kuwait was being attacked with SCUD missiles and that a few airplanes have been shot down :rolleyes:

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I trust I'm not the only one who finds the idea of making war "prime time" viewing for the entertainment of the masses, rather distasteful?

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

There is a song from Accept, a german heavy metal band of '80s, which applies to this situation.

T.V. war is a part of life
    Entertaining and far, far away
    What a story and how they fight
    Let's gamble and guess who will win

Danger is nowhere
    We still got the chance to switch off
    Remote control and the guarantee
    It's somewhere else

T.V. war, T.V. war
    Bloodless but deadly and cruel

We are eating, while we're watching
    People die on the screen
    Toasted and roasted and scrambled and fried
    We are greedy and pay

Information-in between
    Missiles are in the air
    You can hear them and see
    They're already here

According to informed sources
    of the defense ministery
    There is now confirmation
    That enemy missiles have penetrated our airspace
    Impact is estimated in a matter of minutes
    Good evening

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm with you, Viking -- I wish they'd just give occasional updates when something happens, instead of droning on and on and on and on . . .

I mean "Bush will address the nation tonight at such and such a time." Ok, anything else? Good, lets move on. But NOOO, they talk about what color his tie will be, where he'll do the address, who he'll talk with before the address, what he'll eat for dinner (Freedom Fries!). AARRRGGGHH!

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I bet he wouldn't have choked on those pretzels if they'd been Freedom Pretzels back then. :shake:

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

9. Ralgnar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is just another example of the absurdity of modern media. Any event is blown out of proportion. Granted this is a major event, but honestly. I say they should set up a war news channel that shows all the details as they happen, and then all the other channels just talk about it during the news. Even the hourly "Iraq War Updates" are fairly absurd. But I guess it makes for good ratings.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Its like the Olympics almost. And now we have the longest ranged missile firing event! Whoever can fire a missile from the longest distance and hit something that resembles the target wins! :rolleyes:

11. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This broadcast of the war on TV is a bit surreal.It is the ultimate reality TV show if you will.
    I cant help be think it cheapens the plight of the Iraqi people somehow to have the invasion of their country on TV for all the world to see.Strange times we live in for sure...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.