1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of the LOTR movie?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kemanmaldea, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My big fear with the movie is the Marketing Hype that will accompany it.

Burger King has coined the phrase, "One Burger Shall Rule Them".

And, if this is a success, can't you see them making a "Hobbiton Christmas Starring Bilbo, Brittney Spears & NSYNC!" ?!? (Remember the Star Wars Christmas Special with the Wookies????)

I had a nightmare last night with a Dark Rider riding up to the boarder of the Shire and declaring, "All your base belong to us." :D :rolleyes:

2. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It seems to be right on so far!!! but yes it is a movie(only 2 hours long). Look out Episode II...no kiddie stuff in LOTR

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I understand your fear about the marketing. I mean "One Burger to rule them all" is just the start. Mark my words, you know they are going to have a meal deal with onion rings. And just wait until the 3rd movie comes out. It will be "Return of the Burger King". But then their is the fast food hype theory that movies hyped at Burger King do well and one's at McDonald's flop.

All this aside I just wnat to see a good movie, and all signs are this one will be. No Lucas blue screen crap, real actors, real sets, and they even tell the public what is going on - unlike the E2. The actors are into the movie and a lot of movie and time as been spent. The trailer looks great and beside from a few issue with the romanance thing I haven't heard one things bad.

Four months to go and I'm excited. I'll be there opening night! Hope you will to.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I will see it opening day, and I've been talking my friend's ears off about it.

Maybe I'm just looking at the negative side so that I won't be disappointed.

My little heart can't take another disappointment :( ;) :p

5. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Anybody remember the first movie they made it was really film footage then cartooned over made in the 70's i think it was in 2 parts but 2nd part didn’t come out. :(

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] KD, talking about the Cartoon version of The Fellowship is just depressing. The new movie should not be spoken of in the presence of that reality/cartoon travisty. Trust it is not in the same league.

The image that keeping coming to mind when I think of the cartoon is all the character waving their fists in the air while talking, like they were milking the proverbial big cow in the sky. Need I go on...

7. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I try not to think about the marketing stuff that goes on with major movies, mostly because i really don't care. I will admit that some are cute the first time you see them. But by the 12th time I am ready to haul off and distroy any advertising I see.

Anyone else feel this way?

8. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

U no the films, graphics look good, and all, but there r some points, that worry me, Gandalf, or Ian MacKellan, is a bit old for the part, also they do play the romance up too much, Tolkein, got the balance right and they shouldnt interfere in such a major way. Also, i Hope to the many Gods out there that they dont portray Arwen as a warrior Princess, that would ruin it, and there are plenty of sites out there and the trailers hint at it, that they have. Eowyn i could understand, she almost is, but not arwen, who does not fight. I pray. And this film will be the best and most popular film this year, and the next.

The (official) web site has had more hits than neother film website in the history of film websites.

9. Avooch Dar Guest

One or two little niggles.
    Firstly how will they end the first film. Tolkein probably was not expecting to make it into a film so the end of fellowship of the ring is a bit of an anticlimax for the end of the first movie.

And when looking through the website i was pleased to see that nearly all of the characters looked very true to their discriptions. i say nearly all because i was dissapointed with Sam. He looks a bit too old and jowly for the young valient Sam.
    Does anyone else think that?
    And just for you English people, is it just me or does that picture of sam look strangly similar to Amon Holmes from the lottery program?????!

10. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31

As much as I'd love to think the movies will be perfect, precedent says otherwise. How much talk was there (at least on fan sites) about how great D&D would be? TONS! And yet, the only adjective worthy of the movie would be pathetic. If the same happens for LotR, I won't be suprised. :( Especially with those pathetic animated attempts from the 70's *shudders despite himself* Still, one can hope.

Now Star Wars: Ep.2 on the other hand, is GUARANTEED to suck...

11. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

When does the film come out in America? Its not out until December here. Also, having read the books (I assume you mean Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers and Return Of The King; sorry, its just that I think of them as one book as I have them all in one weighty tome), I was a bit perplexed at the aapparent lack of imposing characteristics in the actor playing Aragorn. Still, maybe the film itself will quosh my fears :)

12. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I doubt it though, i think aragorn wont be bad, hes quite quiet and contemplative, which is rite. the hobbits worry me though, and the cartoon was russian, and insulting, and will be nothing like these films, just thank god that JRR Tolkien put the clause into his will that his works could never be used by Walt disney, or think wot would of hapened, happy little dwarfs hopping along.... shudder!

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] One thing that I'm very excited about is the use of 'real' props in LotR. Maybe this is only proof that I'm old but I always liked the models from SW4 more than the CGI from PM. What did one of the actors say "all we do is stnad around in front of blue screens." I'm glad this is not the case in LotR. Go check out the chips they have on hobbitain. They build the whole set. Shotting on scene and using models, if done right, looks great. I think CGI has it's place but don't over use it.

Maybe this could be a new topic in itself. do you like modeling or CGI better?

Well I like modeling and planting gardens and hedges, builting roads and mills is just to cool. Everything I see about this movie just makes my more and more excited about it. I'm so glad they are doing it right!

14. Silverblade Guest

I had seen some pictures of the movie already, and there was a picture of Galadriel. In the book she was described as one of the most beautiful women on the earth, but the Galadriel in the movie is ugly. So, the casting could have been better.

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I agree with that, Silverblade! They should've cast Anna Kournikova in that role!!! ;)

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sorry to resurrect an older topic, but since I haven't seen LOTR yet, this is still "news".

I found a great review of the movie on one of my favorite websites.
    http://www.alliancenet.org/pub/articles/duncanlotr.html

This is great, especially if you're curious about Tolkien's christian under-pinnings.

17. Kahliib Gems: 3/31

Lord of The Rings is awesome. I have watched it numerous times and it just gets better every time. This movie is a must see.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.