1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UFO-fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, May 5, 2001.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Some of my thoughts of above posts.

To Fenix:
    Yes there are so much possibilities out there that Earthlike planet must be somewhere. But I don't think that's only planet type where a life can be.

To Avooch:
    Why wouldn't they come to us? Lack of interest?
    They will come to us, but will they contact us is the question.

To BGP:
    Consider yourself lucky. Ain't life more interesting with mysteries?
    Anyway, in these cases different stories are common. It's result of an old one:
    Three sides to every story: your version, their version and true version that is never discovered.
    Human memory is not perfect and depends on emotions.

To Sap:
    Yes, there's a detailed description of UFO in Bible in book of prophet Ezekiel. But there are more ancient books with UFOs like Epic of Gilgamesh. Are we alone? No, we're not.

To all:
    Would you contact intelligent life forms on a planet where you would suffer madman's tests and then autopsy? Would you come to a planet with wars, xenophobia, racism, child abuse, selfdestruct technology, inquisition,... I wouldn't!

Live long and prosper.

2. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, that's rather negative. We also have art, various political/economic systems, math/science, philosophy, religion and music. I think that's interesting. We also have an interesting psychology that makes the above, along with child abuse, drug addiction, war and strife possible. Pretty fascinating stuff IMO.

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think we have yet understood the "laws" of the universe fully at this point. Much like in music and philosophy, it seems with science that ocassionally there is a major change in the "canon" so to speak and we have new elements or new syntheses of elements already known resulting in a new interpretation of our reality. Maybe one such reinterpretation is what is required to see diffeent possibilities for travel, space and time and so on. Who knows? Not me. I'm kind of surprised at the dogmatic and authoritative responses to a pretty benign question.

3. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Humanity has always been behaving in a self- destructive manner. Besides, our culture may seem primitive to some more advanced alien race. I don't know, but I'd have to agree with Extremist's point on this one.
    They may consider us prehistoric maniacs that would try to abuse and destroy their civilization instead to learn from it. Or maybe we don't fit their schemes in another way or...You know, I have had this debate with many people in the past few days and am utterly sick of it. Your choices are:
    a) We are all alone in the whole universe.
    b) We are an uninteresting race and nobody likes us :( *Sniff...*
    c) They haven't found us yet. Or they want us to believe they haven't...

4. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I am sorry i did not mean to offend anybody in my reply :(
    I am sorry if any harm was done

5. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You did not offend anybody poor gibberling. There, there, hush... Don't cry. Damn, now I feel guilty :(. Where did you get the idea you offended someone from? If it is any of my posts I assure you sometimes I tend to be a bit abrupt without it meaning anything. Sorry. Sorry to all of you out there too.

6. Avooch Dar Guest

do you not understand the power of the universe.......there could be races out there that we might not want to meet..........what if they were babaric and decided to destroy our planet and all the people on it? what do you say to that.

7. It is so human nature to be this arrogant, to think that we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe which we don't even know the end to. With all those stars up there being another solar system I'd say there are someone out there, but we have to redefine what we think of as life....

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Avooch Dar,

Come to destroy us eh, well probably to make way for an intergalactic by-pass or something equally usefull.

You know what they say: "By-passes must be".

Lets be honest though, if they are anything like us then you are probably right. It's what we would do....

9. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think Jack Handy said it best:

"Whether we find life there or not, I think Jupiter should be considered an enemy planet."

Yep, human nature, gotta love it baby. It's sad. If there is any intelligent life out there (there's gotta be, the Universe is HUGE) they'll probably catch one evening of CNN and say, "Look at those poor slobs. They're like rabid animals, and thus, let us put them down."

10. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Jack Handy is too funny:

"He heard the crow call his name thought Caw"

I'm not sure whether it would be arrogant to assume that we are the only inhabited planet in the universe. Arrogance would apply if we actually had some say in being here in the first place so that we could brag about our existence. Are we the only planet with intelligent life, or life at all? It seems that some microbes found on Mars seem to prove otherwise. If evidence of life can be found on two planets within a system then perhaps there is a good chance that there is life elsewhere circling the countless stars out there. Of course the microbes probably originated from some NASA guy coughing on the landing vehicle ;)

As I stated earlier - space travel on a grand scale (like Warp Factor 7 :)) is just not within our grasp anytime soon. In the mean time we just have to wait for something to contact us and hope that they are peaceful. IMHO there are so many undiscovered things on this planet that I won't be too dissapointed if we aren't discovered in my life time.

I always wanted to visit Costa Rica or Italy. :D

11. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Well, I've been watching this thread and haven't really responded to it in full since I started it, but its late where I'm at and I'm happy and a little buzzed so what the hell.

I don't think it comes down to arrogance or not, or statistical probabilities either. I don't think its about a "grand design" of the universe either, some kind of planned or chaotic happening or whatever. I found it interesting how some of the responses here seem to indicate a low opinion of the human race and life on Earth, though.

Whether UFOs are snooping aliens or unknown, natural and totally explainable phenoenon, the other question as to whether we are alone in the universe or not is interesting. I think the "arrogance" bit is a pre-enlightenment era backlash. Anyway, space is strange. There are two satellites sent from Earth now well beyond the solar system still transmitting and recieving information, but relative to the entirety of space, they aren't very far off. The strange thing is, we really don't know the nature of extraplanetary space. Does it fold in on itself? Is it infinite? If all known matter is in motion away from a central point or region, as per the "big bang theory", what's outside the boundary of the expanding 'stuff'? I think we have to claim ignorance on the part of certain kowledge about the probabilities for "life" to exist outside of our planet. I'm not sure if some other civilization has an interest in ours or not, or what exactly would attract or repel them in the first place to look at another planet. Maybe they're short on limestone, who knows.
    I do think at some point humanity will be faced with something radically other than itself. This is a totally unfounded opinion, just a thought...

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm with Lord Moeken on this one. It would not surprise me in the least to find that in the four-dimensional universe that Einstein introduced us to, the curvature of spacetime does in fact form a sphere. Or something similar anyway. Unfortunately it's been years since I studied cosmology, so I don't remember much. On a side note (since I don't have the numbers right now) I'd like to point out that statistically it is rather striking that there is life in the universe even on our planet, much less two separate civilizations. But we know so little about the universe as a whole, so who can say?

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't know...When I think of the myriad forms of life on this one planet, in a sea of stars...How can you not think there is other life out there? When you think that intelligent life exists on one planet in ten in our solar system, there must be MILLIONS of planets with life of some kind on it.

After that, it's not much of a jump to imagine other beings visiting Earth...I personally think we've been visited.

Now for my little conspiracy rant: I always think about the incredible leap in technology over the past 60 years...And the coincidence of the "weather balloon" crash at Roswell. Personally, I think that when we harnessed the power of the atom and exploded the first bomb...someone or something took notice. They crashed, and we've been reverse engineering the technology ever since.

Well...There's my two cents. But I've always been prone to the fantastic rather than the mundane.

14. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have heard a person swear on his life and his mother's (or something like that. He took an oath) that he saw a supernatural creature with red eyes and hairy arms sneak out of his village. It turns out the spate of child killings in the area was caused by wolves. Yet mass hysteria and superstition seem to have gotten the better of their senses.

Today, look at the Monkey Man case in India. There are so many reasons for a person to lie. They may want to believe it is true. They may just want the attention and will lie and swear falsely (like in professional wrestling). They may be getting something out of it.

Ditto with UFO reports. I will not believe tales of UFOs or the supernatural until I hear it from a real lawful good Paladin who never lied or spread amiguity once in his life.

15. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

Rakanishu are Paladins immune to errors or deceptions?

16. Avooch Dar Guest

where in the universe do paladins come from......................

17. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

UFO - Unidentified Flying Object

of course they exist, unidentified flying objects have to exist, there must me hundreds or more undiscovered flying insects.

18. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

UFP = Unidentified Flying Paladin

That's what happens when you pick fights with giants.... :D :D :D

So Extremist, you spam to let others know that someone else is spamming. Hmmmmm....

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited May 17, 2001).]

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

IBS - Identified Bloody Spammers :mad: :mad:

20. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Yes, Paladins. Some would say they are the pinnacle of human goodness. They never lie, they never cheat. They are humble and not prideful. Always ready to lend a helping hand. Always willing to put their life on the line to right wrongs and fight evil. They have self control and enlightened discipline.

Unfortunately, they do not exist, not even in make believe RPG games. This is why I will never believe people who spout mystical mumbo-jumbo, even if they swear on what they hold dear.

DOGS, believing things just because you want to, not because it is true! What kind of pathetic SH*T is that??? GTH!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.