1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Year's Eve Traditions

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shralp, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

What do people do at the stroke of midnight in your country?

In the U.S., we throw our arms around each other and sing an old Gaelic/English song called "Auld Lang Syne." Most don't know the words.

In Vienna I saw everyone pair off up and down the streets and start to waltz as Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz blared down the street. Beautiful.

2. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In Sweden we watch TV... Really, we do.

We watch someone read a poem (yes, that's probably the best term) that I don't know the English name for, but translated directly it would be 'Chime, Bell, Chime'. And then the bells chime.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We open a bottle of champagne and make a toast to the new year... And watch the fireworks.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 28, 2001).]

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    At the stroke of the new year everybody is mostly completely drunk. That in combination with lots of fireworks make it the most dangerous time in the entire year.

Im from Sweden and I have heard about the poem but I dont think I have heard it since I was old enough to go out without my parents. And Namuras the poem is in english in its original form off that I am quite positive.
    Ring klocka ring, ring det nya året in!

Oh and BTW New years eve is for the most time a let down it is never as fun as it is supposed to be.

5. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Oh yes, the champagne... We also watch TV, if we aren't too drunk :), and listen our nation's Hymn.

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well being as we are the almost the last to celebrate in the world, we all party and watch the rest of you countdown :) When it finally becomes our turn, the champagne is uncorked and we all blow noise makers and kiss our loved ones :)

7. Silverblade Guest

Well, in Holland we also drink champagne at exactly 12 o'clock, we say "happy new year" to each other and toast. After the champagne it is time for fireworks (That is the only time in Holland, you may set off fireworks. During the rest of the year is is illegal)

We also have oliebollen in Holland. It is hard to explain what that is and I don't know a translation for it either. It is food we eat at on the last day of the year.

8. jesper898 Guest

i think champagne, tv, fireworks and fun says it all:)

9. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I will be at Max Creek at the Webster theatre in Hartford Conneticut, USA. I sugest that anyone that can, should be there.

www.maxcreek.com

[This message has been edited by mark, the beneficial shah (edited December 29, 2001).]

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

First we have family dinner, then we go out among friends and get drunk. We make a lot of toasts too, of course.

11. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

First of all I sleep 'til the dinner is served, then I get up and eat til I'm about to explode. Then I go out and start drowning my self in my bottle of 12 year old Scotch. When Im done with that bottle I start on the Vodka. And hopefully it would be time to go home soon. Sometime between those two bottles I've set fire on 4 pounds of explosives trying to hit every guy I don't like very much.
    *Sleep x hours*
    *wake up*
    *WANT TO DIE*
    *go back to sleep*
    *wake up*
    *Really want to DIE*
    *Try to remember what I did last night*

12. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I visited a part of my country this year where they participate in what they call Carbid-Shooting.
    Take a large Milk-Can (cylindrical, around 60 liters) put in a little carbid and add a little water. (This reacts into a very flammable and explosive gas). Then they close the can with the lid. The can is laid down and trhough a tiny hole along the side or on the bottom, the explosive gas is lit, resulting in a very loud and deep BOOOOOOOOOOOOM and hurling the lid several dozen meters away. This goes on, the whole day and is accompanied by the drinking of several liters of beer.....

13. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

me and my freinds have a tradition we take anything that burns put it in a pile put some fireworks or anything we can find that explodes and lit it and see what happens

usually it burns for a few minutes but then KABOOOM 6 fireworks go off a few assault choppers explode and we have ourselfs a good ol time

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In Norway when I spend New Year there it usually involves some sort of dinner pary with friends, vast quantities of alcohol and approximately half a months salary going up in smoke at midnight.

In the UK, it seems to invoilve going out to a Pub or Club, getting wasted, singing Aule Langsyne at midnight, but no fireworks.

Shame really, I like the fireworks. :)

Still, same tradition on New Years day. Feel sorry for myself, nursing hangover. Gently.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.