1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Assassin/Thief Skill Help

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by LordNocturne, Aug 15, 2001.

1. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm planning a solo Assassin/Thief, but i'm unsure how to set up my skills. A halfling gets the best MS/HIS so i plan for it to be Halfling, plus they get 19 Dex. I know i need a high MS/HIS but everyone says i need Set Traps, and i need FT to survive. How am i supposed to get all of this?

2. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hmm, if you want to play solo, I suggest a human, to be able to dual latter to a fighter, so you'll need DEX 18 and STR 17. Put 100 in FT, Set snares, hide in shadow, move silently and pickpocket and after that you could dual. Solo pure thief will be very hard. You could also dual to a mage, if you wish, so you'll need 17 INT.

If you realy want to solo with a pure assasin, you'll get quickly enough points for every skill available.
    P.S.: detect illusion is very usefull. Some nasty spells like Mirror Image or Shadow door become useless against you.

3. Zaragoth Guest

First of all, Isay that you should pick a race that seems more fun. Not the one that´s best. I´m playing a non dualclassing human and he´s doing great! And I picked him cuz I like playing as humans.
    Then to the skills:
    Put about 70 in find traps in the beginning. That´s because you´ll need to find traps when soloing. :)
    And don´t put anything on set traps. If you play an assassin that is. Instead, put yer points in hide in shadows and move silently.
    Skip pick pocketing and detect illusions too.
    What´s left?? I don´t remember. Remind me if I´ve missed something.
    ------------------
    I don´t mean that the rest of the skills are useless, but these are the ones you should start out with. DI can be really useful too, and set traps is something that you can out points in later.

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited August 15, 2001).]

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You could also get the ring of invisibility and load up on invisibility potions at the beginning...that way you could hold off on HIS/MS. And there are plenty of gadgets (armor, boots, etc.) that'll up your HIS/MS stats.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

What alignment do you wanna play? WHen you play good or neutral, just put no skills in Pickpocketing. Detect Illusions is also not very usefull indeed. Just use Hide in Shadow and move silently. Set snares, well I don't use it often...... you can live without it.

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Depends on your playing style, but Find Traps is definitely something you need. Move silently and hide in shadows need to be the assassin's areas of expertise, but you get some decent goodies to help you out with that very early in the game. With the way I play, setting traps is also invaluable but more so against the tougher baddies you will encounter later on. Plenty of time to up that skill through level progression.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Detect Illusion
    This requires that you see the target and you do nothing else. IMO not very useful for soloing. You can usually run away and wait for the illusion spell to end instead.

Pick Pockets
    There are so few good items that can be picked that on the rare occasion you want to PP you are better off gulping down a pack of potions of Master Thievery instead.

Set Traps
    This is a great way to handle some of the really tough opponents like dragons. You don't need this skill early on so I recommend that you do not put skill points into Set Traps until around level 17.

Move Silently
    Not as important as Hide in Shadows. You could probably keep this at 50% (maybe lower) and do fine.

Hide in Shadows
    This you really need, but not immediately. Rings of Invisibility is not a perfect solution since often you will want to strike, fade into the shadows and strike again. Not a good thing to depend on charges for that.

Find Traps
    Essential for any thief. You "must" put skill points here at start.

Open Locks
    Another skill you "must have" at start.

My recommendation then is to improve in this order:
    1. Open Locks & Find Traps
    2. Hide in Shadows
    3. Move Silently
    4. Set Traps
    5. Further improve Hide in Shadows and possible Move Silently.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited August 16, 2001).]

8. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I decided to make him a Solo Halfling Bounty Hunter. I got through Irenicus' dungeon last night (didn't play long) after about a week in game time. I concentrated on traps, and a leveled quickly while Solo. My favorite thing was to 'throw' a special snare and have it go off, then hearing 6 goblins die at once. It works well in this way, and if you know what will happen you can set a gauntlet of traps for someone to try and run through. I did this for the Lesser Clay Golems as a few hits would kill me. Set Special Snare is much better than Set Snare because you can actually throw it across a room or something like that, so you can throw it near enemies without being seen. I got the quest experience from Irenicus for getting out, and hit level 11. Currently i have 3 SSS and 3 SS per day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.