1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are there any nerds here?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by mark the beneficial shah, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

stop trying to define yourselves!

everyone is an individual in their own right. everyone is different, has their own quirks and ways of doing things.

the only way you can be a "nerd" is if you believe yourself to be one!

i dislike the way everyone stereotypes each other, but everyone does it at some point. *i* have done it, and wished that i hadn't. But i think it's crazy to try and do this.

so stop this stupid topic already as it makes no sense to try and define yourselves in this way.

you are you!

and that's the end of it...

2. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Can a history geek be a nerd? Or is nerdhood a math thing? I envy the math nerds.

I guess I'm the "invisible nerd" my friends (who are all musicians and construction workers and that sort) think I'm the biggest nerd alive, because I dig obscure humor, take weird courses in college, play D&D, read a whole lot, watch geeky TV shows, listen to "uncool" music, hang out with nerds, and yet I'm not accepted into nerdish circles. There's a few nerd-types who I game with, and they whisper intellectual things behind their hands and snicker about it.

I feel left out, really.

3. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

cheers deano...

I agree compleatly.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There is a little nerd inside all of us. Only the brave ones can admit it.

5. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] populair ppl talk to me :D

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I know Kevlar..... I just love to talk with my southern Neighbours from Belgium.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

I am with Deano. Labels are weak. It makes it easy for people to categorize I(and marginalize) others in a way that is convenient for the labeler.
    Arbitrary exclusion is one of the worst common human traits. It usually starts with labeling.

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Labeling helps you identify people. Identifying people helps you understand them. It's all in how you use it; it need not be a mode of marginalization nor exclusion.

If you don't like discussing who you are, what the heck are you doing in this topic?

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Labels say a bit about a person but not all for everybody is unique... So of course you can use labels, it makes some things easier, to understand people etc... Just be careful that a label doesn't say all....

Capstone ---> I label you as a mad psycholgical ;)

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Labels are handy. I for one want to define myself. After all, even a stereotype's better than a nobody. I've also benefited from mistaken assumptions in the past (e.g. good grades at school, must be smart)

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] HEH! Hush, Ironbeard, you wouldn't want to destroy those precious positive labels now would you?

Headbanger, I have no idea if that's a compliment or not. :confused:

Remind me one of these days to start a topic concerning the current negative attitude towards stereotyping.

12. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Labels are necessary -- we are pattern-seeking animals. We all "judge" people based on the limited information we have until we obtain more information. So this is not a bad thing.

You guys seem to be so smart and funny and interesting that if you identify as nerds -- I want in. Though because of my job and and what I like, my old friends -- from when I liked clubbing and playing guitar -- classify me that way anyhow.

I don't understand the make-up controversy, however. That one is simple. Like Pavlov's dog, men respond to instinctual cues of female fertility and receptiveness to mating. If you want to attract a man, you make sure to send out those cues. Make-up, glossy hair, high-heeled shoes, all that ties into male instinct. If you don't want to do this, if you "want to be loved for yourself," ask yourself why you would deliberately play against biology. If you say that you do all of the above "for yourself, not for male approval" -- you are full of... denial.

13. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Biologist hits the boards...:D:D

I dont think Im a nerd, or any of my friends are.
    I'm like so totally popular duh whatever talk to the hand.

[This message has been edited by Gash (edited November 06, 2001).]

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Labels often lead to exclusion/marginalization. I have never seen a label that adequately describes anyone. Everyone is different.

The only label I want is my name.

15. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Really, Jack?
    How about: "Babe-magnet."

16. Well, I'm a nerd...

Yet...

The nerd squad and me worked out that I have a Cha of 17, so perhaps I'm an inverse Nerd, or something stoopid like that...

Anyway, I'm Lawful Good, and that's all that matters!

17. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like my computer room.
    I feel safe in my computer room.
    Outside is bad.
    Outside is Cold.
    For I am the nerd, subspecies, computer-geek.

Not really.

18. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Methylviolet, LOL.

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I spend 95% of my time either using computer, reading or in school.

I have been the most unpopular person in the whole school for 9 years and thorough three schoos.

I own 5 computers.

I never bother reading to class; I'll know it anyway.

I got thorough the comphrehensive school without cracking a book

I have floppies in my pockets

I have classes that I always push back. The lenses are -5,5 and -11.

I spend more time using a computer than sleeping

BUT...

I love dancing and going to parties

My friends are those really popular ones.

I do homework at the last minute

I get lousy grades in Math

I am a complete dummy when it comes to fixing a computer

Ara
    (Nerd, and damn proud of it!)

20. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Methylviolet, what is insect imunity? Imunity to them? Or imunity to us??

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.