1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To spam or not to spam...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Zaragoth, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I was using irc... #sorcerers was the fairly nice place I entered.... I talked to someone.... I said iii i i a couple of times.... And now I´m kinda down on lv 300-something... ouch... I just said a couple of ii i i´s, but it still counted as spamming... Dissapointed I am... Very... Shadow_Goddess were in there a few days earlier, doing the same thing... But I don´t think that she should get back to level 300-something because of that... Dissapointed I am.. again..... The rules are too strict I say. Dissapointed I am...
    -----------------
    Sorry, I don´t mean Shadow_Goddess. It was Shadow_Assassin. My wrong.

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited August 22, 2001).]

2. AngelusDomini Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Such customer service complaints would best be addressed directly to the moderators. They graciously make their email addresses available at the top of the forum, left-hand side. I'm sure they will carefully consider your recommendations and offer you several options for resolution of this apparent misunderstanding.

AD

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] I would say it was more than just a couple of i's, and then you made a lot of downward typing too.

[EDIT]

Indeed AD, you're right. Any issues concerning problems with the moderators should be mailed to themselves.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 22, 2001).]

4. Zaragoth Guest

I still say that it isn´t right. I think that it should not matter as much as you people think it does! I don´t care about status.. I WAS talking to a guy, and we had nothing to talk about. So we talked about spamming. And I said i i i i ii i and such. Not too much though.
    And when I entered, I wrote:
    H
    i
    W
    h
    a
    t
    ´
    s
    u
    p
    ?(And some other things.)
    WHY does it MATTER? It´s not like I´m asking for an avatar because of the status thing! I just think that t´would be cool to have my own. (I know that I must buy something, but I won´t. I don´t want the avatar that badly.)
    And the same thing goes on irc. I don´t care if you reset my levels, or word countings and such - It´s just that it´s so wimpy! Why does it matter!?
    I hope that you won´t kick me or anything, I´m just curious what´s the big deal. thx// Jakob

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

The big deal is that it matters to some people. Some people find it fun to be on a list, and probably most of those people doesn't find it funny to be passed by a spammer on the list.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

!kick Zaragoth ;) :D

Honestly Z, I think you have to look at the big picture, and then realize that you might be getting penalized for the "greater good."

Personally, I refuse to post or chat in any other community because there is no control. People cut and paste, spam, edit huge Pokeman into their posts, etc. It makes me a little more insane than I really am.

Here at SP, there is a strict code of ethics. The moderators are quick to slice word counts when they see a reason. They try to be fair, but their biggest concern is to be even handed.

So, IMHO, your word count was cut, not because of a personal attack or because you were totally out of control, but so that we can maintain a precedent of good behavior in our community.

Given the choice between too much control and none at all, I would choose control. People will continue pushing the limits of behavior unless early action is taken.

BTW - I've tried some of those tricks myself and was humiliated by other people in the chat before it got out of hand. It seemed harmless, but I was ruining their experience.

7. Zaragoth, put it this way, ppl don't like to read a whole page of hi what's up. And some ppl *do* care for their spot...such as me...but that's not the point.

BTW, thx for correcting your mistake on your first post.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Let me take this opertunity to vent about people that spam. I'd say that most folks on this board are fine. But in past months certain unnamed people have engaged in repeated spamming. You know who you are. Let's all try to be mature here. If you don't have anything worth while to say than don't say anything at all.

We encourage opinion and posters 'adding' something of value. Tal was right when he said that he didn't want to create the whole board ranking system because people would just post crap to get the post credit. Alas to a small degree this is true. When I see post saying "look I went up a level" I would to screen. Yes, you went up a level but I can see that without your spamming about it. Earning posts should be just that - earning them. You shouldn't be a high level of the community for simply typing "bump!" This only shows have shallow you are.

On a positive note I am glad that it isn't worse. I'd seen many boards that have numerous topics that are nothing but spam. We appear to only have 1 or 2 of those.

Tal and BTA do a good job of keeping with issue in check, but we can self regulate as well. Do your part for the quality of the community and contribute quality to SP not meaningless spam.

OK I feel better now. :) Thanks for putting up with me.

9. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I can understand how you feel about spamming, but I just think that it was a little too.... much, to delete my levels. And that´s that.

10. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I was foolish enough to copy paste the spam :D ;)

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] For someone who indicates that they "don't care about status", you are being rather verbose in your apathy.

12. Zaragoth Guest

What do you mean, BTA?? I don´t care about status. I´m just wondering why it´s so strict.

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

If you wonder why it is so strict, I would advise to read through Mathetais post again, as it more or less perfectly explains why.

14. Zaragoth Guest

YES! I know! And I said that I understood! And then BTA started again! And I had to say something!

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Zaragoth, there are very few rules you have to live by in the chatroom, and "Ye Shall Not Spamme" is one of the most important ones. Same as with the avatars on the boards, status of the top talkers in the chatroom is earned. And posting crap to get a higher word count is considered cheating, on the boards and in the chatroom.

The only difference is, I can keep more control over the boards and taking 50 posts off someone who spams is usually enough to smarten them up. But in the chatroom, where 90% of the time I can't see what people do, stuff like that has to be punished that more strictly. ANYONE who is seen posting junk like you did gets their word count reset to zero. There were at least 20 people before you, and there will be many after you who will suffer the same fate, so don't pity yourself so much.

Remember, posting junk doesn't pay.

16. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

:D unless its done with care and skill :D
    ;)

17. Zaragoth Guest

Argh! First of all, I didn´t know that the rules were different from the chatroom and the boards. I can understand that it´s more stricly, when you can´t see what happens from time to time.
    AND I DON`T PITY MYSELF! :mad:
    I do have the right to an oppinnion or a question, ain´t I? And I don´t consider this to be junk posting, since it was a simple question and a complaint!
    thx// Zaragoth

[I told you in the chatroom that junk posting was what you did there, not here on the boards.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 22, 2001).]

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Da hell, Voltric took my words!!! :mad: ;) :thumb up:

No matter, I'll spam some additional crap here...

I really don't care for levels of any kind as I said many times.
    But there are some things about spamming that hurt my INT.

I like to read every single thread on these boards, but guys, I don't have time to read ALL spams. Maybe it is fun for you, but as I stated above, it hurts me. Ok, there are "spam topics" that ask to spam on, but spamming in serious threads... :rolleyes: :mad:

Spamming in chatroom is really lame. I like to see as many as possible previous text lines without scrolling up - and with your one word in a line I can't see it. I don't care if you think it is cool thing to see column texts.

Finally, I've never seen that mods leveldrained anyone just because they CAN. All leveldrained members got it because they deserved it. Including you Zaragoth.
    But I agree that mods don't do the leveldraining job as I think it should be done - if I was them, I'd leveldrain much more persons here, including me.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here is my point: If you do not care about your status in the chatroom, then why would it make any difference to you whether you lost your status or not? If it doesn't matter to you whether you lost your status or not, then why would it make any difference to you how easy or difficult it is for you to lose it?

My statement above is pointing out that you are expending quite a bit a verbiage on something you supposedly care nothing about.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited August 22, 2001).]

20. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] so? anyone getting laid lately? :D
    j/k ;) extremist is right we deserved it

[This message has been edited by kevlar0101 (edited August 22, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.