1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finns - a breed apart!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Viking, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morgoth,
    I'm not quite sure if it's a GIRL talking bout her Gaffenheimer. There are quite some freaks on the net, pretending and such....
    :D

2. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

You guys are complaining about cold!? Let me tell you about the city I live in (Ribeirão Preto, SP)! It's so @#*%ing hot, that if you die, you have to take a blanket to hell! You can't stop sweating. When it rains, you feel as if you were cooking in steam. The "winter" lasts like a month and the lowest temperature I've ever seen here is like 16ºC. Today it's about 35°C. I'm in underwear only, and still feeling hot. But this whole thing made me come to a conclusion... I'm moving to Finland.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @MoN

Like you?? ;)

[ November 19, 2002, 16:04: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

4. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Must be the only Spanish guy here, so I feel like I have to say something...

We only wear gloves when it goes down 14ºC (like today) :D :p :D

5. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Gloves at 14C!!! :eek: A few days ago it was -21 C here, and I still didn't use gloves! Wimp... ;)

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You know what's cold for a Southie like me?

Picture this -
    Midwinter - coldest winter in Scotland for about 5 years - going swimming in the sea up there when you are 6 and wearing a very thin costume

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    You know when its cold???

When a pinguin knocks on your door and begs for a cup of warm soup. :D

Liquid Nitrogen is pretty cold too.

8. Kekkonen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My favorite Finnish weather joke:

It was a freezing day everywhere in Europe. - 15 C in Rome. -20 in Paris. Copenhageners were shivering at -35 C, Moscowites at -40. Yet, a small weather station in Finnish Lapland reported a temperature of -9 C. A journalist called in to investigate.

"Weather Station Alpha," answers a gruff voice.

"Is it true that the temperature up there is -9 C?"

"Yup."

"Are you sure?"

"Yup."

"Really!? It's way colder in Copenhagen. Heck, it's -15 C in Rome, for crying out loud!"

"Uh? They musta gone outside to measure it."

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yep, us Finns are a toubgh nut to freeze... And hey everyone, I am still alive... Not frozen to death.

It's´-20 outside and I'm still not wearing a coat :p

(Insanity factor A)

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ara,

Of course you're not wearing a coat. Get's in the way when you're barbequing don't you find? :)

From what I've seen of Finns commenting, I have to say that to a degree the truth is out there. (Shivering it's arse off at -54 in the Finnish winter....)

Sorry I can't provide a similar observation for any other countries, but haveing seen the extreme, nothing else would really impress?

11. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

On a sidenote: You actually *can* dry your laundry outdoors in winter. In fact the colder the better.

I think it's called sublimation or something... Anyway, I don't think that everybody knew this so I decided to post a reply.

And some of you are right, wind and humidity are far worse enemies than the plain temperature.

12. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've seen the exact same (well, OK, the names were changed) email about Canada. Believe every word.

13. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    This Florida gal is getting cold just reading this topic!

14. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Well, once we had -11 inside. Cold to sleep that time...
    It is getting really cold here when Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

EDIT:
    Btw, Perkele is the finnish translation for satan.
    It is like: Hell, it is cold here.

[ November 21, 2002, 15:11: Message edited by: Taza ]

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Lol! Loved that post. Sometimes I really am proud to be a Finn. :D

Don't have anything to add to that post. Clearly a show of better taste than the Brittish article concerning Finnish football I read a few months back. Afterall, you DO know we don't have polarbears in Finland don't you? We have no reindeers or other larger winter (or summer) animals running around in our capital city either. And no, Finland is not located somewhere between Russia and China. (these were not referring to the article, no-one is that stupid and the article actually was written without sarcasm) You'd be amazed to know what I've actually heard and seen people ask about Finland, quite seriously at that... Damn Americans. :rolleyes: ;)

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, in Canada in some towns we *do* get elk and polar bears strolling the streets in winter, so maybe you borrowed part of our reputation?

17. JC Denton Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

And where is Finland? On the NorhPole mwhahaha :D

[ November 21, 2002, 19:57: Message edited by: JC Denton ]

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

You know, it is not like other countries are the only subjects of American Stupidity. Other Americans are also subjects to our own stupidity.

EX - I live in Texas, and you would not believe how many people actually think we are still living in the wild wild west - walking around like a Clint Eastwood movie decked out in six-shooters, ponchos, and spurs. And we don't all ride horses to work, either.

So don't feel special for being a subject of internatinal ignorance. :)

19. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I know this has nothing to do with this topic, but Forashi's msg remembered me of a recent research done among young people of different countrys and it the results show that 6 out of 7 young americans don't even know where Iraq is located. But 34% could say where the island from "Survivor" was located! Shame on you guys!

[ November 22, 2002, 03:46: Message edited by: MauricioEiji ]

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My point exactly. :p

Oh no, no way I'd feel special. But I do feel pity. Especially now that you have such a bloke in charge there.

As for that research that MauricioEiji mentioned about, I just made it myself a while back. I'd offer you the link, but the discussion forum it was in is closed for now due to upgrading. Sit tight and I'll post it here as soon as I'm able. I can say already that the whole quiz is done so remarkably stupidly that I just had to laugh at the false answers for such obvious questions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.