1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you ever get stick for ...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sniper, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Just a quick question here, but does anyone here get stick for liking D&D or D&D based games? Do you get called 'sad', 'gay' and what not?

2. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] I do.

But what the hell, I just ignore 'em.

No fundamentalist/jock/self-righteous fool is a match for me IRL, mentally or physically.

*TADA: The nerd that shoves jocks into their lockers and takes their lunch money!* :D :D

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Only once. But I cast a Confusion spell on them. It must have worked, because they looked at me kind of funny and wandered off. :spin: :rolling: :xx:

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I've heard the occasional 'nerd' from friends, but that's all in good fun. Other people at least lack the spine to say it to my face.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] yes, and girls are quite *****y about it really.

But I don't really tell people, sometimes they find out from one of my 'friends :rolleyes:

what's usually quite funny is that some girls have brothers who play BG and Warhammer and stuff, a couple have admitted they've had a go at playing RP games or painted models. And those who have admitted it have usually enjoyed it.

I suppose it's one of those things like 'I'm not going to do that because I'm not a nerd' but they might enjoy it if they just gave a it a go. You can't be a nerd for trying something new can you?

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Interesting, Well the reason I ask mainly is because I well, basically I go to gaming conventions to play the game with other people and not being just restricted to a club i go to every wednesday (which isn't always D&D).

Anyway, my band mates and a numbe rof others constantly rip the piss into me and call these conventions 'gay conventions'.

Now, being the oldest in the band, I can take most of thier ramblings in good grace but recently I've been starting to find their incesent (sp) ramblings an annoyance and would just like suggestions on how to combat it. I don't mean to drop to their level and say "Oh, skateboarding is for ****ers" or what ever. Yeah, I'm not really into skating or whatever, but saying that, I do not think that its just some sport/activity for sad people.

Any suggestions please.

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Have you ever just asked told them that its starting to annoy you and that you'd appreciate it if they'd stop? My friends are quite understanding about these sort of things, but I don't know how this will work with you.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I get it a bit from my friend, it is in good humour even if they are speaking what they really think when they say it is incredibly geeky. The perk is that all of my friends are incredibly geeky about something so it evens out. The prejudices against roleplaying are immense though.

10. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Being a girl... lots and lots of ridiculing, unless the person is also into roleplaying. So I've just stopped telling people.

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

RPG's are my secret life no one else knows about. Although I occasionly say something jokingly like, "I'll heed none of your churlishness" which at the very least causes some eyebrows to raise.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My brother gives me lots of **** for it. The only thing about that is that he knows what it's like to be addicted to a computer game (system shock and unreal tourny were bad for him). He no longer plays games anymore because he's afraid he'll get addicted and skip work. He's right.

Other than that, most of my friends are into games. Cory, a buddy of mine, has played every Final Fantasy at least twice, so he's got a bigger problem than I do.

It was Cory that got me started on BG. For his 13th birthday, his parents got him a "Magic Pack" or "Battle Chest" or something like that. It was a bunch of games like Heroes of M&M, but they were all demos. I played some BG and died when I hit the Ogre in the crossroads area. I ended up getting to Nashkel and not knowing what to do. It turned out that Nashkel was the end of the demo, so I went out and bought BG1 for 20 bucks.

13. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31

Why do people watch movies? because it's fun.

Why do peole skateboard? because it's fun.

Why do people go waterskiing? because it's fun.

And why do people play RPG's? because it's fun

I despise people that call other people geek sor nerds just because they are interested in fantasy and roleplaying.In my opinion they say that because they are to stupid themselves to understand all the rules and worlds in their tiny brains ;)

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've had some experiences where some people have considered me stupid because I've been reading fantazy and SF based books. I have one particular experience quite recently. I were part of the danish peace keeping battalion in Kosovo, and one day we were out on guard duty at some silly road. I finally get a break and climb into our armoured vehicle. There I choose to pass some time reading Necropolis from Black Library. (WH40K) Some of my squad members then makes fun of me, because in their oppinion, you can't read about something which isn't real. At the time, most of the guys in my squad was reading a book written by a former british SAS soldier about the first gulf war.

Nobody seemed to understand, that when I want to relax, I don't want to read about something which has anything to do with me everyday situation. AT the time of this incident, we were sitting inside an APC, I had my gun in my lap, and then they tell me I should read about some OTHER soldiers experiences? Hmm, no...

Don't know if anyone can follow me in this though...

15. Shura Gems: 25/31

These are what intellectuals term 'morons'. People who simply believe that no piece of writing that isn't based on fact is worth reading fall into this category. Subjects in this category are undeserving of many basic human rights and should be rightfully relegated to carefully regulated menial labor, genetic culling and eventual extermination.

I've been in the exact same situation as you, Grovflab. There I am in an army camp during a work break engrossed in a Michael Moorcock paperback and these bunch of uneducated grunts come over and poke fun at me for reading something that isn't 'true'. I give them the finger and tell them to piss off. With my higher rank as a corporal, they had to obey. Only to return with an officer who is of the opinion that 'soldiers shouldn't waste the government's time on useless things'. He tried to ban any books not related to military issues in camp but the CO was too busy with something else to heed his silliness.

I wish I could typed his rant out here for you folks. It basically is 'useless gay literature/fiction reading faggots who are not serving the government as they should and deserve to be hung'-esque content. :mad:

Now I'm out of it all, thankfully so.
    (But I will have my revenge someday...)

16. BossBandor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yep, i get stick for reading comics fantasy and sci-fi, playing games, especially RPGs. But those fools don't know what they are missing, a world of imagination to stimulate your thinking capabilities of this world and others.

17. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

So some silly officer is actually allowed to tell you what to read? Oh my...

I might only be a private, but if any nco's or officers makes fun of my interests, it's personal harashment, and then I can take it to the union or whatever. In some ways, we thankfully have some rights... (And we don't have corporals...) :D

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I overheard a conversation between two hobby shop employees about how they can't imagine how "Those psychos" could find the D&D game fun...I cut in and said, "Why, because that game actually make you think?"

I get called a nerd, computer geek, or Bill Gates a lot by my computer illiterate friends...I don't really care either... :rolling:

19. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Never to my face. But I know some people think stuff like that. I don't care. I'm a loser and I am proud!!

20. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31

Who does care, who does?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.