1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo BG1... what class makes it easiest?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you were to solo BG1, what class makes the feat easiest?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

3. Klorox

I don't like how the FMT only gets one weapon slot, especially since the game unpauses when you go to the inventory screen.

I was thinking of a Halfling F/T (sneak past really tough spots) or even a Bard.

4. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

F/T was used for the speedrun, think it was elf (to retain the str 18/XX and dex 19 for good sneak)

you might also search around a bit for the Bard solo, quite good.

I think a Ranger/Cleric would also be excellent.

5. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

F/Ts and classes that can stealth have it very good.

Bards have it very good once they get access to the game's stronger wands: fire and monster summoning. First wand of fire is in the ankheg nest with the corpse of the farmer's son. Monster summoning wand is in the outdoor area just after you emerge from Nashkel mines.

F/T's can't use monster summoning, but they can use the necklace of missiles and arrows of detonation just fine.

Abuse the ability to recharge wands/necklaces by selling/rebuying at merchants and you're set.

6. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Remembering the Bard v. F/M/T arguments on this board: The F/M/T won them, rather narrowly, but, like Klorox, I was put off by the single weapon slot, and never took the one I generated out of Candlekeep. If you go with a Bard, be sure to get the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise at the Firewine Bridge. The Ranger/Cleric I played was a powerful character. F/T I haven't tried. Good luck!

7. Klorox

I think I'll go with a FMT, but wear armor (play him like a M/T/Archer).

F: for the archery
    M: for the wands, Identify scrolls, and casting Mirror Image and then putting armor back on
    T: for locks, traps, and sneaking

The only think I hate is only having 1 quick weapon slot, and the game un-pausing when I go to the inventory screen.

8. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If I remember right, the game doesn't unpause in multiplayer mode. You could probably play through the whole game that way if you cared to.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You won't need to switch weapons very often since the penalties for ranged weapons in melee weren't implemented properly.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cleric/Thief is fun. I believe you can backstab with staves and you get a magic staff very early in the game.

But Cleric/Ranger is probably the easiest.

11. raptor Gems: 16/31

Killroy and kmonster is right, start the game up as multiplayer game (Just set the connection type to serial or something and it doesn't make a difference), that way you get full pause in inventory screen.

One drawback I notice when playing is that you have a little "pause" on the pause button, so after you pause, you got to wait aprox 1 seccond before you can unpause again. Annoyed me alot when I've tried the same (Generally to get 2 or more self made characters).

I think I'd go for the Ranger/Cleric myself, but that is just my style, hate playing with little or no healing and protections. Sanctuary is your friend.

Also, if you want a way to make it even easier, most people underestimate just how insanelly good blindness spell is, next to no monsters will ever save against it (Try it on Ogres and ankhegs for example) step 5 feet away and shoot them with arrows (Duration immense).

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Don't bother about what class makes soloing easiest, rather bother about what class makes soloing most fun for you.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Removing the level cap makes the feat easiest.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I remember playing with a F/T, whether you're in a party or soloing, provided the most fun.. Although there was that time I played with a M/T..

Buff yourself then go and backstab then drop a fireball or something lol

btw I always thought that playing it with a ranger/cleric was hard??

15. raptor Gems: 16/31

@kmonster : "Don't bother about what class makes soloing easiest, rather bother about what class makes soloing most fun for you."

You're talking to Klorox here, just give up that argument allready! ;)

@Silvershield

Ranger/cleric is darn neat really, you get full ranger combat, with stealth, and full spellcasting for both cleric and druid spells. So you got a fulltime warrior, that can stealth, and spellcast like both a full leve cleric and druid at the same time. If he could cast identify he would win the game ;)

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Oh well I mean I've heard it's an alright class although I've never experimented with it because I hate clerics lol

And to be honest I've never used a ranger's stealth skill, not once. Leave that to the real stealthy people ;) If you're soloing, however, it would probably be a hell of a lot more useful..

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    An alright class? Ranger/Clerics are awesome, not merely 'alright'! :p

Seriously, Silvershield, if you get a chance have a go with one. Once they start gaining levels, they are great. Having only blunt weapons is hardly a disadvantage (this is true through the entire saga). In BG, you can pick up the +2 Warhammer reasonably early.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

Ahh yes and THAT was something that turned me off them entirely lol

At least they would be able to use two weapons in the sequel..

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would say bard. Faster lvl ups, pick pockets, spells, wands, armor and all weapons available...these guys are cool. Hmm, ever read 'bards with wands?'

20. Fly2tHeSkY

I guess after people played with Garrick the 1st time around, they probably thought goin solo with a bard wouldn't be sucha good idea lol sooo useless..

Jack of all trades and master of none. AT LEAST go multiclass or something.. That way you become the master of two instead ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.