1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Scar and the sewers

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by starsaphire, Apr 22, 2007.

1. starsaphire Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi! First time poster, but I promise I looked through the topics to see if there was an answer here first. If I missed it, I sincerely apologize.

So I'm replaying BG but this is the first time I've gotten this far. I'm running a goody-two-shoes party with a rep of 20. I have accepted the second quest from Scar - clean out the sewers. I have killed the Ogre Mage, wiped through all the Carrion Crawlers I can find (got my mage paralyzed twice for her troubles too, lol) and all the response I get from Scar is (paraphrased): "Never mind, it's OK, I'll send a squad down to take care of it. So meet me outside..."

Any idea how I might have messed this up?

- starsaphire

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Easiest explanation is usually the right one, so: Are you sure you said the right thing to Scar?
    It might also be about the ring he wants you to find (either it's in one of the cocoons or in the ogre mages body, I don't remember), kind of a quest side quest.

3. starsaphire Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the quick response! :)

Scar doesn't give me the option of saying anything, actually. I've spoken to him twice for this assignment - the first time when I accepted it, the second when I reported back before finding the correct section of sewer. It only gave me one option at that time, "I haven't found out anything yet," so I clicked it and he sent me back.

It was after that that I killed the OM, the crawlers, raided the corpses and went back--only to get the "Never mind" response. Oh, and I do have the ruby ring; I got that idea from another thread on the topic. I had one of my characters wearing it when this first happened; so I reloaded, unequipped it and tried it again -- same response.

I'm tempted to just go back to the save point before entering the city; it'll cost me a couple hours in game play but that's not the end of the world. I was just hoping there was a quick "Oh yeah, you forgot X" kind of fix.

Thanks again for the reply; I appreciate the assistance. :)

- starsaphire

4. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

That's strange, do you have the latest patch installed?

5. starsaphire Gems: 1/31

No to the patch question; I honestly hadn't realized they were available before coming here and reading the other forum postings. I intend to stash my Save files away onto my thumb drive and do a full reinstall (with many thanks to the people who explained how it works, the CD-swapping was driving me loony too). I'm not sure how it'll affect my game at this point, but as I'm learning here about all the things I've missed it's tempting to decide to just start a new campaign too...

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated.

- starsaphire

6. starsaphire Gems: 1/31

Reloaded it at an earlier save point, redid the quest and it worked fine. I think it's some sort of bug, though--if you speak to Scar before you kill the OM at all, you don't get the credit for finishing the assighment.

I'm kinda glad I did it this way; I'm reexploring the city of BG and this time I found the Basilisk miniquest. So, way more XP for me!!! :)

- starsaphire

7. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Everybody his own way, but maybe you shouldn't go back entire chapters just because you missed a subquest somewhere. This is a great waste of time, and you end up not finishing the game yet.

Once I restarted just because I had lost Perdue's sword! Now, I don't bother giving it back to him, he's so gross. Kill Gnolls for him? No thanks!

The same with the sewer quest and many subquests. Are you an errand- boy? Must you bring back this ruby ring to a rich family?

8. starsaphire Gems: 1/31

Oh, I'm an XP fiend, so it was fun for me. :)

Besides, I save often, so reloading rarely loses me anything. I am pretty much the exact opposite of a no-reload gamer... ;) I'm a "Let's fight that battle again and see if a different spell would work better!"

Thanks for the advice, though, Capt. I'm actually glad to know I didn't miss anything by losing Perdue's sword (yeah, I did it too!)

Cheers,

- starsaphire

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, you do miss something. When you lose the sword (either by leaving it at High Hedge or accidentally selling it off with other weapons because it looks exactly like a normal short sword), you miss out on 50 gp. Not much in the later stages, but if you're waiting that long to take on three gnolls, you've got issues. ;)

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I forgot to bring the ruby ring and my game went on. So no problem for me.

11. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

regarding scar and his quests, do you have to accomplish them in order for the main plot to move on or is it purely optional? i'm asking as i just bypassed him by saying the party wasn't involved in the "nashkell fiasco"

12. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Scar sidequests are optional but well worth doing, lots of XP and several thousand gold for doing easy jobs.

13. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

i hear thee but for this run-through i've decided to stick to the evil party rule without any sort of compromise and have been succesfully doing so from the start, therefore complying with the local authorities for a legitimate and reasonable purpose is a can't do :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.