1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trading Card Games

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Methylviolet, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have played a lot of Magic -- though I lacked the cojones to play in tournament -- and some Pokemon, and am now trying to work out LotR. I bought the Legolas and Boromir decks today.

What I loved about Magic was the whole TCG concept -- a simple, cheap, portable game that was yet infinitely variable depending on the cards each player happened to have. What I hope to love about LotR is the shadow/fellowship division of the turns such that you essentially don't have to "wait your turn" to play cards, but I am a little hung up on the rules.

What TCG are you playing?

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Cheap? You must be joking. I played Magic some four years ago, and it was anything but cheap.

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I agree with Volar, Magic is anything BUT cheap...then again, Pokemon Cards didn't really help those poor Parent Wallets...:(:p

4. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Depends on where you buy your cards... :D

I still play Magic, haven't played LoTR yet but I'm thinking about it.

My favorite Magic color has got to be Blue. It's just the most powerful color (maybe too powerful). I love playing with my Clones, 'Gangers, Control Magics, and Morphlings. Counters and denial cards are just icing on the cake.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I quit playing magic about 2 years ago. Magic is cheap if you are good at trading. In total i spent about £100 on cards in about 2-3 years. I made nearly £400 when i sold half of my collection to various people. The most expensive card i ever had to buy was £8.
    Pokemon was far more expensive because the trading element wasn't there. However as per usual i made a killing in £££'s selling pokemon cards. Shame it fuzzed out i was making £50 a week on average :money:

[EDIT] My main deck was Blue/Black with 3 migraines in it and no creatures. Note Migraine = an enchantment when opponent discards a card they take 2 damage. I had three of these dealing 6 damage everytime, and the blue has the most discards (i had 25 discard cards out of my 60 card deck).

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited June 25, 2002).]

6. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Yeah, OK, *cheap* is a relative term. For the the price of a movie and a soda, you could buy a precon deck. For the price of a burrito, you could have a booster. Hey, I thought it was a good deal. For a Valentine's gift, I bought my then-husband "Leviathan" for $10 (don't start-- he really liked *great big* creatures) and he was beside himself with joy. All this happiness, at a reasonable price.

Lazy Bonzo, I have never been able to create a winning creatureless deck -- my hat is off to you.

My favorites are black and blue, red and blue, and white and blue. Gotta have blue -- counterspells are just the most fun. Especially against a guy who has waited most of the game to bring out his *great big* creature.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I play Magic, My decks are normally Black, white or a combination of black and white. I also have a verry cool Black/green deck and a red Goblin/destruction deck.

I also did play Net Runner, but I don't know people who play it anymore, so it's just lying in my game closet...

8. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ah, yes..Magic :). Played it for 3 years actively. Now I play little.

My favorite has to be my blue/white/artifact creatureless 200 card deck :D.

Build an enourmous defense with artifacts and enchantments, while protecting them with counterspell.

Finally you can deck the other one :)

It keeps being nice to say to your opponent: Well, you must:
    1. pay 6 mana per creature to attack me
    2. you can't target me
    3. you can't target my enchantments
    4. you can't target my artifacts
    5. you can't target my lands
    6. you must draw 8 cards per turn

Then I look at the 80 or so cards in my hand (don't have to discard due to artifacts) and cast a few Gerrard's Wisdoms (gain 2 life for each card in your hand)).

Oh, look...I have 300 life and 150 cards in my library. You have 20 life and only 2 cards left :).

I even build the deck so I had not a single way to even deal a single point of damage :).

Fun fun fun!

Man, even writing this makes me want to play again :)

9. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] What a great game - simple, portable, versatile and fun! Played quite a bit a couple of years ago when I worked as a canoe and trip guide in the north. A great way to spend rainy days and downtime - plus, it's a game that travels well.

My all-time favourite deck was green and white. Solid creatures with good defensive capabilities. Other than a few strong white flyers, my white was for defense, counter spells and healing, while green provided the enchantments and creatures. But that deck became history when my cards were stolen (along with a bunch of other stuff). Slowly (very slowly) rebuilding.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I played Star Wars:CCG actively until about two years ago. Stopped around when the Death Star expansion came out with two Super-rares. :mad:

It's very hard to estimate how much I spent, but a guess would be $500-600. I never thought it was "cheap". Actually I considered myself being ripped off the whole time, but I still payed and played. :heh:

LotR is a very easy to learn game compared to SWCCG, but just you wait! The erratas will come. The rulings will add up. New expansions will drain your purse and tax your memory! :evil:

11. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I used to play Magic. I didn't realize how much I missed playing till I read this thread.

I played from early 95 till about 98. I was NEVER without a deck or three. My premier deck was a green/white centered on a lure-venom-regen combination. That deck also contained Wrath of God, and Armageddon (I spelled that wrong).

I always carried a user friendly green/red and a difficult rainbow deck. If I bumped into anyone who wasn't a magic player, I'd hand them the green/red and I'd take the rainbow, and commence to teach them. I loved to build decks! I'd build them for fun, play them once, tear them up, and start again.

And the house rules! We had some of the funniest house rules! Those were the days. Playing at the diner, friends' houses, on the trunk of my car in the 7-11 parking lot.

I agree about the portability and affordableness, that was the best part! You can't really play D&D in McDonalds. Only, how can something so cheap still wind up making me so poor! Hundreds of dollars I poured into that hobby.

Damn, I loved playing Magic.

/me digs around under her couch for all those long white boxes and card binders

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] @Magnus Magicus

Could you please send me the card list of that deck? I wanna try it!

13. total Guest

I have played magic for few weeks and i have tried LOTR TCG and i find it a bit confusing. What do you think, is original Magic better than LOTR-one or otherwise? My friends say that LOTR is better because it doesn't depend on luck as much as Magic.

14. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] all of those games are pale in comparison to... top trumps :grin:

15. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

Used to play Magic, BattleTech, and Legend of the Five Rings.

The last Magic deck I ran was the turbo-stasis. I just loved it when I got the Kismet/Stasis/Chronatog lock on. My opponent would look at me, frown and utter that word... "concede".

Aaaahhh... hehehe... :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.