1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon and Dragons

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lo, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Lo Guest

[​IMG] This film has just came out in Australia and I'm in doubt whether it's worth watching. Anybody who's seen it, comments please.
    And here's some critic's notes on the movie:

Having never played Dungeons And Dragons, I had no expectations to disappoint. In the end I wasn't disappointed with the film - more like appalled, bored and occasionally delighted, in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way.

Paul Byrnes, The Sydney Morning Herald, January 2001

This film adaptation of the old role-playing game has too many dungeons, too few dragons and is just way, way too long. Director Courtney Solomon spends too much time having his characters walking across fields and not enough time creating the tone of fantasy he displays in the film's opening.

Jim Schembri, The Age, January 2001

For better and worse, D&D is a little boys' movie. Heavy on cheesy special effects and thin on characterisation, this feels as if it's been made by computer whizzes who don't have much experience of people at all.

Rob Lowing, The Sun-Herald, January 2001

2. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Do a search on these boards for "movie" or something; it's been discussed a few times before.

Movie stinks, by the way. Has some camp value (Jeremy Irons) and some good special effects but little else. See a matinee, if you must.

3. Lo Guest

Thanks, Neverwrolder, seems we are almost a month behind u and I totally missed the thread... I'm still in doubt whether to see it, if all its good for is special effects and background scenes it will only llok good in cinema anyway, but if the acting is that bad I might fall asleep right in the middle of it.

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'd say go for it. As long as you aren't expection master performances, who cares? If you enjoy cinematic effects, and want to see it on something bigger than a TV, just do it. Unfortunately, by the time I decided to go, all my local cinemas had dropped it. :D

Oh well, there's always DVD ...

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited February 01, 2001).]

5. Hellfire20098 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

the moive sucked ass!!!!!!~!!!!

Hellfire20098

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

fuck, that movie sucked so much I'm surprised a giant black hole didn't apear!

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Heh, how could that movie have had too few dragons. There were only like 100 of them flying around. Probably meant too few dungeons. Movie wasn't great, but it was nice to see familiar D&D stuff in the movie. The spells were very cool though, just too few of them. Be forwarned: the acting and character development do suck though. However, I've seen worse movies lately. Two in one night to be exact(I am Crawl's agonizing memories).

8. Roghnaithe Gems: 2/31

I am glad I haven't gotten out to see it yet!

9. Hellfire20098 Gems: 2/31

well ya that movie was just not AD&D at all.
    for all who have played tabletop AD&D and have seen the movie will know what i mean!!!
    peace!!!

Hellfire20098

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm waiting for the DVD rental. I also plan to go in late, late at night to rent it....

I'm getting the impression it ranks up there with the sci-fi greats such as: Battlefield Earth & Wing Commander: The Movie.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I paid to see both in the theatre...Uggh!

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You know, I'd settle for the re-release of Star Wars IV,V,and VI again. Seeing your favorite movies back on the screen again is just too cool! :cool:

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] When they re-released the last time, I went to see each of them like 4-5 times again! Just like when I was a pup. It's a good thing my allowance has gotten a little bigger since then! ;)

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Star Wars...I can't watch Ep1 like that, but the others...Anytime, anywhere.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.