1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your favourite punk, rock band

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think Tenacious D are the greatest, hows about you folks out there in the big world which is...well big. :cool:

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Offspring, no doubt about that..

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Bad Religion, Misfits, Flogging Molly, the Queers, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.

Not too into pop punk.

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For me it's Offspring, too.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Suicide Machines, they rock :D they punk too :D

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I do not listen much Punk but The Offspring, Bad Religion, Dover and Die Aerzte (last, but certainly not the least) are my favorites.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Deville, Strung Out, Near Miss. So on and so forth, I could go on forever.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Green Day and The Offspring are the best punk bands of all time! The Ramones aren't bad either... :rolling:

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Offspring and One Dollar Short. And only really The Offspring's older stuff.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Is the Offspring a punk band?

When I think punk, the Sex Pistols usually come to mind...Maybe the Primitives...But then again, I am oldskool.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bel, Sex Pistols, are classed as Old school punk whislt the Offspring are classed as New school punk ... so in general, both are punk.

Anyway, for me it would be:
    Blink 182
    The Offspring
    Sum 41
    Pennywise
    NOFX
    Greenday
    Alkaline Trio
    Idlewild
    The Movie Life
    Amen

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Blink 182 annoy me. Their latest stuff is complete crap and it has been going downhill since Enema of the State.
    However I shall call them good for one reason along: Adam's Song, IMHO their last good song before collapse of intelligence.

13. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Of course I know nothing about new school punk (other than the excellent covers by the Punk Kittens ) which leaves me a bit confused.

Origanly punk was all about angry young men(occaisionally women) who were frustrated by things like having no money, unemployment, disinterested government, no prospects, etc. They were also famous for being pretty untalented musically (why learn more than three chords?). What made them good was the raw energy that came across as they sang (badly) about everything that pissed them off. Sometimes they even managed to sound tuneful. Highlights for me include Stiff Little Fingers, the Buzzcocks, the Clash, the Undertones (despite not really being angry enough :) ) etc.

Anyway, I guess my thought is, are new school punk bands still surviving by being crap musicians who are angry about something and, being cynical, what are they angry about (poor PR department, lack of marketing budget or not being invited onto kids Saturday morning TV, etc).

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Calm down Slappy, notice that I did mention rock bands which as far as I know is slightly different. And as for punk bands being bad musicians, one of my best friends is in one and hes not to shabby at playing guitar (check out www.thebandfgc.cjb.net for who I mean).

15. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Sex Pistols are about as punk as Nickelback seeing how they were a manufactured band.

I don't like much old school other than The Ramones and some of The Kinks.

More bands I like.
    -Belvedere
    -Downway
    -Midpoint
    -Lagwagon
    -Blink 182
    -The Getaways
    -Flashlight Brown (You gotta laove a band thats first single is all about sitting at home on Friday nights playing D&D, and eating pizza.)
    -Authority Zero
    -Rancid
    -Operation Ivy

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Favorite punk band of all time?

This is reaching back, and they may be considered to be metal by some, but I have always liked The Anti-Nowhere League .

17. Laches Gems: 19/31

I don't think Slappy's point wasn't that punk is incapable of producing talented perfomers. I do think I tend to have similar opinions regarding the.... shall we say genuineness of some of the more modern types of punk. To draw an analogy - when Dylan performed a love song it carried more weight coming from someone who had traveled and experienced things and wrote his own song than when Britney Spears sings a canned song about the 'love of her life' and how true it is.

Old punk bands like Stiff Little Fingers or later in the US Bad Religion were writing about things with a certain degree of genuineness that I feel is lacking in some today. While 'Tin Soldier' by Stiff Little Fingers or '**** Armageddon this is Hell" by Bad Religion may well be naive in many ways there was a great deal of passion in the music without tremendous concern over the commercial viability of the music.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does The Clash count as punk? If not them, then Iggy Pop. I like Bad Religion, too.

19. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Yes the clash count I think they're ska or something.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Offsprings, Blink 182 and Green Day aren't punk, it's pop-punk. They doesn't play anymore for the fun of it, they do it for the money. They are as much punk as Lincoln Park is real metal.

Real punk is music that they sell so cheap that they earn almost nothing on it, music where they play just for the sake of playing. Bands that do it for the message.

Real punk bands are EAK, Senap, Skumdum, Köttgrottorna, Charta 77, Radioaktiva Räker, Coca Carola, Räserbajs and Åka Bil.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.