1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst.NPC.Ever

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by lokibeat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would not go as far to say Minsc is the worst, but I'd take Ajantis over him any day! I always seem to let Minsc get a little too far fromt he party, Dynaheir has a little sob, then we're good to go. Lets go pick up Garrick and Branwen :)

I agree with Anjo, and really like Skie... her voice is better than some others.... :coughs: imoen :cough: alora :cough: kivan

2. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Nice to know Skie have some supporters after all.

To stay on topic, I would say Khalid. At my first run I had him in my party whole game but never since.

3. ister Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well disagree with most people.

I find Quayle to be very powerful and extremely useful. As a mage he has almost no downside, and his clerical spells add a lot.

I also like Tiax a lot. The ghoul is the most powerful summons you can get, and his thief skills mean that he can fill two holes in my party (cleric and thief) leaving more room for archers. I don't see the need for a full cleric.

Garrick I can take or leave. He's OK and can fill a hole in some cases, but generally all he can do well is sing (good for some parties not so useful for others).

Minsc I like, but I don;t take hime because I find Dynaheir to be the worst mage in the game. Look at how she compares to Quayle
    -worse saving throws
    -3 or 4 more hit points
    -much worse THAC0 (not that it matters that much)
    -he can't cast spells like vampiric touch and skull trap. She can't cast spells like sleep, grease, flame arrow and monster summoning.

Xan is a far better mage. I used Dynaheir once all the way trough and found her to be the most restricted spell caster bar none.

Given my general bias against clerics, other NPCs that I can't stand are
    Faldorn - her wolf doesn't make up for her lack of the few good clerical spells. She's useless in combat too
    Viconia - I don't have the patience for her magic resistance, and she geenrally weak

I also agree about Eldoth - at least Garrick has dexterity. I like Skie - she's less annoying than Safana. But given that she comes with Eldoth I hardly ever use her.

Lastly I really dislike Alora. You have no chance to build her so that she can find traps (unlike Skie and Tiax), and if I wanted a pick pocket I'd take Garrick. Her voicing doesn't annoy me as much as it annoys some people, but I still don't like her.

4. hahahaguy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Edwin is hated?!?! I don't believe it!!!
    Anyway Viconia's weak strength isn't a problem if you give her ankheg armour, there are plenty of other armour for your main tanks anyway. Her magic resistance is rather good,so even if your entire party is sleep/charm or any other status, she has the highest chance to resist and cast dispel magic.

5. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I can't say I hate him but Yeslick is disappointing, if he had a str or dex bonus I would be happy.

I find Alora to be a waste because I useually have a good thief by the time I find her, if I find her.

I don't care much for Xan, Buhwa!

Quayle, well just Quayle should be enough.

All in all I like them all, its just that finding some of them is inconvenient both in location and timeing.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I thought Xan was pretty pointless without being able to cast invocation spells. There are far more interesting mage characters you could have in your party.

7. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If he ha a beter constitution and/or dexterity maybe then????

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmm.. not really, I don't mind what constitution or dexterity my mage has as he wont be on the frontline. Because of this Xan's moonblade is also useless.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Dynaheir can not cast both enchantment and conjuration spells? Is this right? She really sucks then, no sleep, charm, hold person, grease, flame arrow, monster summoning etc. I have her in my party, but I can give her the boot anytime, as I am a mageling too. I only regret teaching her the lightning bolt. :aww:

I wanna take Eldoth, he sounds cool. Creating poisoned arrows, nice special ability! Bracers of DEX can make him better. Plus he is an EVIL bard, I always liked evil, manipulating bards, too bad there is none in BG2. I am not sure about Skie though. Something unplesant can happen to her.

Umm, can I have Minsc and Eldoth, but not Dynaheir and Skie? How? Send the ladies to a fireball trap? :evil:

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If they are killed in any way, you can remove them from the party without consequences. There's also the technique of sending them into another "area" - usually some random house - and removing them from the party while they're the only one in it. They won't be able to come talk to you for their parting dialogue, and thus won't take their partner with them.

For your first time, though, I'd leave pairs alone. You can get into 'ideal' party combinations in later plays.

11. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I hate Xan with a passion. He is a useless mage, and his voice annoys the hell out of me.

12. guildmaster Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My hatred for Minsc and his idiotic giant space immersion braking hamster knows no bounds. I don't care how usefull he is in combat, he has no place in my party (and in the game).

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Why? :cry: But Boo loved you! :wail:

14. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

:evil: Hehe, it's just that his appearance, soundset and his entire character annoy the hell out me. I mean "butt kicking for goodness", come on it is too much in-your-face for him to be good comedy relief. And then there is Boo... :shake:

15. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I suppose Edwin is a more subtle comic relief, but he really gives me the creeps....

So it is with great pleasure I always kill him when I have saved Dynaheir.

To bad there is no XP for killing him in BG2...

16. guildmaster Gems: 2/31

Yeah, they both got infinitely more annoying in BG2...(and the same goes for almost every other npc)

17. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31

Sorry for off topic,
    I love Jan jansen!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.