1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Two Towers Win Two Oscars!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Last night (if you didn't change channels because of all the lame peace symbols) you got to see the Two Towers win Two awards.

SOUND EDITING
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
    Ethan Van der Ryn and Michael Hopkins

Beating Minority Report & Road to Perdition

VISUAL EFFECTS
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
    Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke

Beating Spiderman & Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones

Check out more at: http://www.eonline.com/Features/Awards/Oscars2003/Scorecard/

Any opinions?

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, it would have been interesting if "The Man without a Past" would have won for the best foreign-language film, seeing as there would have been no-one to pick up the prize... EVERYONE involved in the making of the film was boycotting the event because of the war :D

What can I say? Kaurismäki is cool. (the director, I mean)

And Eminem has an Oscar now? Coolio.

(Goes off huimming stuff)

3. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Too bad the Oscar for best movie went to chicago instead of The Pianist (which should have gotten it I think!)

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm glad TTT got the awards -- while I liked the film overall, there were some deviations from the book that I coudn't get 100% behind, and I'm not usually a nit-picker.

IIRC, the Pianist was directed by Polanski, right? He'll never get an Academy Award because of his pedophilic indiscretion a few decades ago. I'm not sure how I feel about that fact, but the fact is there.

5. aegron Gems: 8/31

Actually he did get the oscar Depaara! And Adrien Brody as well (best actor!) This film had me in a shock. I've never felt as much with a film as with this one. Probably the real hell was far worse, but this movie made me actually understand why people ask: "where was God in WWII" :(

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The TT only got 2 awards?!?!? I think Chacago stole the others TT should have gotten...like Best Picture! :rolling:

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well I would have to say that I feel that The Two Towers deserved the awards that it won but quite frankly I don't think that it should have even been a finalist for best picture. Maybe the fact that I am such a big fan of the books makes me look less favourably upon the films but quite frankly I felt most of the film was just repeated displays of eye candy.

I have found that the first two movies have failed to capture the spirit of Tolkein's books and instead have just focused upon action and effects. I realize that the movies were long but in my opinion they would have had to be considerably longer and slower paced to do The Lord of the Rings justice.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Lord of the Rings TTT would never have won best picture. BUT:

If the return of the king isn't going to win best picture and best directing something is seriously wrong with the acadamy.

I always figured that with the last movie they will count three great movies and just award the last one with the major prizes.

If a man can make three films in a row and they are a huge succes I couldn't think of a reason not to award him.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

On the Pianist ...

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Mathetais, during the Oscars, people are praised for the movies they made..

Not judged for a 25 year old crime, BTW they dont say how old she was, maybe she was 17 :heh:

Edit:
    Ouch, just found out she got drugged and was 14..

The praisepart remains the same however, people praise him for his quality to make movies. after all, its about movies, not about sexual desires

[ March 25, 2003, 16:27: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You have a point about the award judging art, but I have severe problems with a society that says "you can rape a 14 year old girl, buit we'll still accept you as a member of our society, and we'll even let you win awards!" I side with Mathetais' article on this one, regardless of how good the movie may be.

12. Morgoth

Media:
    umm I didnt said society should accept him raping a 14-yo child, he still needs to be punished for that..

But still, he gets the price for his way of making movies, not for having sex with 14yo

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Well then, I'll add that the movie "The Pianist" missed a HUGE historical fact.

The Nazi did not save the main character because he played Chopin so well. He saved him because he (the Nazi) was a devout Christian.

If you read the memories of the Pianist (that the movie was based on) the German's faith plays a key role ... and it is 100% absent from the movie.

So, our 14 year old raping movie writer is also re-writing history ... and leaving God out. How nice.

14. Morgoth

Media:
    well, erm lets ban some more movies:
    LOTR, Schlinders List, Braveheart, Pearl Harbor, Band of Brothers, Longest Day, Ben Hur, Jesus Christ Superstar, Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, etc, etc, etc

All for changing the original story, even though it was accepted by the society, Agree?

Of course you don´t, but still, he is rewarded for his ability to make movies, and his sexual desires have nothing to do with it

15. aegron Gems: 8/31

Actually Mat this was not left out! I can't remember the exact moment this was spoken, but somewhere in the beginning of the movie, a jewish person asks szpilman where God is. This question is underlying the entire movie. But in the end of the movie the german officier says "don't thank me thank God" Or something like that. So I think this key role is still in place. :)

16. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] I guess that I should call this blasphemy The Two Oscars now... *sigh*

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sheesh Morgoth ... I'm not saying that you can't take licenses with history in a film. What I am saying is that this film has the cards stacked against it ... rapist director, leaving out key issues of faith (yeah, aegron, there are a few references, but very, very subtle) ... it just shows Hollywood's biases.

(btw .. I think the quote is "you must live, its God's will)

18. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

well, give Roman Polanski a break.

He's had a long and outstanding career as filmmaker and a tragic life. And a faible for younger women, that's true.

But think about that:

1. He's a holocaust survivor.

2. His parents where killed in concentration camps.

3. His pregnant wife was raped and killed by the Charlie Manson clan.

And about those accusations against him. I guess they never were that serious really, because the US authorities never tried to get him back.

And anyway, Jack Nicholson (Who also has a faible for younger women) was accused as Polanski's accomplice, but the charges against him where droped.

I just think it's funny that a newspaper aricle would focus on a dubious accusation, just to bash the "immoral and decadent" actors and actresses of Hollywood, when it's got such a biography to chose from.

[ March 25, 2003, 20:53: Message edited by: Yago ]

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I am not debating the fact that Polanski can make great films. I like a lot of his films, but the fact is, I cannot separate his immorality from the man -- such a man does not deserve to be honored for ANYTHING. I do not care about what happened to him in the Holocaust or about the loss of his wife -- neither of those two facts gives him the right to drug and rape 14 year old girls. I've had a hard life too, but I'm not raping anyone -- nothing gives anyone the right to rape.

As for re-writing history, well, every screenplay fiddles with the facts. That in itself doesn't concern me.

If it's good enough (I haven't seen it) then by all means, give it best picture, best actor (I know it got that) best backdrops, whatever. But I have a serious problem with honoring a rapist --one that hasn't even paid his debt to society, to boot! Rapists are the lowest form of filth, and to act like he's a normal person is highly offensive to me.

OK, I just looked -- we are way :yot: ! Sorry, folks! If anyone wants to continue this, I'll meet them in a new thread.

[ March 25, 2003, 21:30: Message edited by: Depaara ]

20. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"rape"

It's not about rape, it's about sex with minors. These are 2 different things. (If you don't believe me, look it up in a lawbook)

He's not convicted (Or only convicted in absence). And I really don't think those charges are substantiated. At least over here in europe, it seems to me that everyone takes this californian charges with more than only a grain of salt.

And the americans never dared to get to an court in an european country to demand his extradition.

And I really understand that he fled the USA. After what he went through over there, with the american courts and media after the death of his wife.

So, I wouldn't call him a "rapist".

[ March 25, 2003, 22:07: Message edited by: Yago ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.