1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can the young ones be shocked today?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SleepleSS, Jul 14, 2002.

1. void Guest

I wasn't too shocked with the TCTs, America deserves it IMHO. I am rarely shocked by anything, the only recent one was when I got NWN, I was shocked at how much fun it was :D :D :D .

BTW, I'm just 12 years old (yes, really) so I guess I'm part of todays youth...

2. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Truthfully, I don't think kids are any harder to shock now than they ever were. But, a child's psychology is very insular, so children are shocked by what can possibly affect them directly. From a US point of view, children I know are not shocked hearing about suicide bombers in the MidEast, but are shocked about school shootings, and by bad things that happen to people they know.

3. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The youth of today are not shocked by anything because they are too busy trying to be shocking.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am young myself, and I no longer get shocked or squicked by anything. After I started reading fan fiuction, I kept being shocked by what I read, but in time I became desensized to anything I read and it has become apparent concerning the reaL world as well.

Was I shocked by the WTC drama? No. I was coming home from school and I was listenbning to the radio when i heard about the incident. I wasnät shocked, byut rather, annoyed I guess. I remember thinking along the lines of "Fuck it, what have those morons done this time?" and the feeling just got stronger the more I heard.

I openly admit being jaded, cynical, nihilistic bastard´of a bitch. How old am I? I'll be 17 in December.

Ara
    (A person who likes applying sharp objects to certain body parts)

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmm... I don't think kids, or even teenagers today are shocked by specific things outside their 'bubble' as I like to call it. If a youngster saw the Sept. 11th attacks on the WTC, he would not, or could not have cared, simply because it did not affect him in any way. (so others have said above).
    Part of this I believe come from Television, Computer Games and the Media in general. Oh don't get me wrong! I play Quake and watch Horror movies as much as the next person, but having been exposed to it from a very young age, Blood and guts simply doesn't scare me anymore. Now this is a pretty lame example but you get what I mean.
    Now i've had pretty bad cuts before and several 'accidents, but the blood didn't scare me, but rather the fact that it could happen. If a plane suddenly crashed into a 10yr old's house, then he would be scared and shocked i'm sure; but would rather feel sorry for himself rather than think it an awful thing to do.

Evidence is seen from this in schools, bullying, teenage pregnancy or whatever. I read so many articles here (uk) about 12/13 year olds having kids, that if a little girl told me she was pregnant down my road, i wouldn't be surprised at all.

Things that shock me are... well. Say if i saw someone getting mugged or beaten up in the local shopping centre (which has happened to me a few times, heheh, because i'm "different", lol), i would regard it as a normal thing, but if there was a murder, or hanging for example; then I would be surprised rather than shocked, simply because I havent seen it before.

What i think the problem is, is that nearly everything has been done, has happened, and so people are un-knowingly mentally prepared for it. Im ranting on here, and am starting to see i'm not really touching on the point, but do you see what I mean?

I'm 17 by the way.
    Goph
    (wondering if Ara will ever stop throwing ketchup around?)
    :p

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    Well that shocked me :)!

Teenagers trying to be shocking? Hmmm I don't think so: Teenagers try to be FREE!

And as Peter Gabriel, Coal Chamber & Ozzy Osbourne has said: Don't you know you have to: Shock the Monkey!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.