1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Puter problems, random reboots

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lokken, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I've been having problems with my computer, it keeps making random reboots and I'm not sure why. I tried cleaning the cooler but that's not it. Any suggestions?

not enough power? bad lithium battery? anything?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Overheating does that.

Buy additional cooler and in the meantime keep the machine OPENED.

If that fails, remove the OS you're using and install nice old WIN98 I know for sure you don't use.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

a new cooler then, hmm, might be the solution. THanks Ex, but I refuse to go back to win98!! :p

I can't even run it anyhow

4. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What other problems can overheating cause?
    I have this problem where I boot up and a message appears and says no OS found, maybe after 3 or four tries it will boot up normally.
    Whats going on?

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You missed to state what OS are you talking about.

6. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Most lilkley your BIOS is setup to boot from a different drive then what yout OS is installed on. Check your BIOS settings, it should tell you in what order your computer looks for the OS. Switch it around so that the drive with the OS is first inline.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

a note to that. If you're not familiar with BIOS, don't change anything. Ask someone you know in real life that might be able to help you if you need to do BIOS changes

8. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Kick it, and yell at it, it always works for Me.

9. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you have a Geforce 3 graphics card and are running windows XP with the new detonator drivers that will happen, happened to me alot.....:(

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Not only that, I've read that WinXP (dunno for Service Pack) has serious alike problems with Athlons (and Durons) on VIA chipset.

That's why I won't hesitate to suggest Win98.

11. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Win 98 is outdated, atleast go for windows 2000 pro, it is perfectly stable and has tons of opportunities if you know what you are doing.

And XP is really not that bad, not Microsofts fault that the GPU producers doesn't come up with some good drivers.

12. total Guest

So, how much is too much:

mine processor was on 70 deg celsius during whole summer, all day, still runs, 52 at the moment (new case), and yeah (duron 700)

Thank you!

OS Win 98 SE2 (best, cuz it's old and it's almoust bug free)

[This message has been edited by total (edited February 05, 2002).]

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Win98 is outdated but on it everything works perfectly Turambar.
    I don't want to be someone's experimental animal, thank you.

total, 70°C was here in Dalmatia, not in Ivanic :p
    btw, mine is Duron 750, Win98, works perfectly - you missed to post your OS! ;) :p

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited February 05, 2002).]

14. the god Gems: 13/31

yeah, that's my fault. sorry about that, i'll sort it out. just don't touch anything, you'll void the warranty.

15. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Thought you were an adventurer Extremist, you didn't strike me as the type that was afraid to explore uncharted territory....;)

Have you solved the problem yet Lokken? Let us know what it was

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Well I'm pretty sure that Extremist is right. The heatsink(thanks BTA ;)) is getting rather warm after my puter has been on for a few hours. Probably due to the fan not being able to the same rounds pr. sec anymore.

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Adventuring Turambar? Now now... ;)

Hehehe, I have some news for you, there are new detonator drivers on the net... as a "leak"!

Those you can't find on official nVidia pages, but how did they "get out" don't ask me. At least, you could try if they solve your problems, so peek here: http://www.guru3d.com/

18. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] heh..that happened to my parent piece of **** celeron. the motherboard melted... too hot. but go back to WIN98 it is the best OP out there. I know several of the programmer who worked on XP ME and 2000..

quote : " i never want to see that utterly worthless pile of refuse again!"

19. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Already tried them, got a decent benchmark...:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.