1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why I'm afraid of TVs...(The Ring)...(The Movie)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I went and saw The Ring two nights ago at 10:00pm, and ever since I have been afraid of my tv. The Ring was one of few movies that actually scared me.

*Sigh*
    Spoilier ahead...
    I think my favorite scary part is when Samara "the little girl" climbs through the TV and kills Noah. :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is also the reason I am afraid of my TV. :rolling:

[ November 01, 2002, 07:58: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

2. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] the japanese original 'ring' was far superior.

also kitrax, please edit your post so that you don't spoil the most suprising (and terrifying!) part of the film for those that have yet to watch it.

3. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

the japanese "ring"??? man I watched that at like 11 pm and I was freaked to death......... had nightmares for like 3 weeks...

[ October 31, 2002, 19:26: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

4. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I just saw The Ring on monday, and I had to come home at midnight to an empty house and turn on every single light in the house to keep from freaking out. I STILL have a problem sleeping with that TV beside my bed. I have a question though.
    SPOILER (possibly)

After someone sees the videotape, and the phone rings, Samara tells the person "Seven days." Right? Well, everyone says that you're told that you have seven days to live. However, I think that it could be construed as more than that...She only says "seven days." That could mean, seven days to save yourself, seven days to find me, seven days to figure it out, seven days until I come for you. After getting through the movie, I REALLY started thinking about this....

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My sister saw that movie and it scared the **** out of her (and she's a tough young lady too.) What's the movie about? (I don't want a plot analysis, just want a general idea of what the movie is about.)

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    LMAO :lol: :grin: :shake:

Sorry, I just don't understand how can someone be afraid of TV :grin:

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Uhhh...what else could I say? Here, is the satisfactory?

"I think my favorite scary part is when a girl, who may or may not be named, Samara, does something cool but scary with the TV; then does something, possibly something scary to a human of non specified gender...possibly named Noah."

@Keneth: If you saw the movie, you would understand...

@Everyone else: Not many people have seen the original Japanese version of The Ring, so please try not to bring up the fact that "the Japanese version is better"... :rolling:

8. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] no need for sarcasm, :rolleyes: just indicating that your topic title didn't indicate that you'd be talking about 'the ring' film. editing-in 'spoiler ahead' was quite sufficient!

a friend has the original 'ring' on DVD. we first watched the film at 11pm, in the dark. afterwards, he decided he'd take a look at the extras- one of which was the videotape footage on its own. i was having none of it, so left the room to brush my teeth, etc. i went back to the lounge 10minutes later to find all the lights on and my friend having not had the guts to watch the 'videotape'! :mommy:

another amusing anecdote... i've been 'phoning friends exactly 7days after they've watched the film. :evil: now if anyone i know watches it, they'll unplug their TVs and turn-off their phones 7days afterwards. :D

9. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

the ring was fairly scary but the scariest movie of all time was The Exercist(I think that is how you spell it).

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've just seen the trailer and even that scared me no.2less! Its all those weird instrument things ad the way ... damn! what i saw scared me and what i saw is obviously, the 2nd rate parts ...

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I just started downloading the Japanese version, sooooo with my average IC speed thats 700mB in 1 week, darn!!

Sure hope ist better than 13th Ghost since that one was LAME!!

12. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I actually heard this movie was almost well..... funny. I havn't seen it because of that comment but thanks for all of your comments I might go see it now.

13. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What is The Ring? Sorry if I sound stupid, but here in New Zealand we get movies about a century after the rest of the civilised world.

14. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes I agree with the The God, the Japenese version is far superior. The dumb Director even got the name wrong!!! :flaming: It's 'Ring' on account of the phone rings whenever you've seen the video. There's no jewellery in it!!!

[ November 09, 2002, 22:59: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

15. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Z-Layrex, calm down. There's no jewelry in the new version either. But the phone does ring in the new version as well.

I got the impression the title "The Ring" was meant to be vague and mysterious. You could interpret the ring to be the phone call, you could interpret it to be what you see before you die (i.e. "Before you die, I think you see the ring."), or you could interpret it to be the ring inside the lighthouse made by the lens which is one of the video tape scenes.

One thing I did notice is that just about every scene had a ring (circle) in it. That was cool.

16. Morgoth

Media:
    Just saw the movie, it was so fuhuhuhun mwahahahaha!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!
    *red lights flikkering, alarm sounding, evrybody ducking under tables thinking commies are invading*

BTW, it thought the movie was named the ring.
    because of the loop of exchanging videotapes.
    You know, a continious circle which will never end, like..... A RING!!

You read it, NOW YOU WILL DIE RIGHT NOW!!!!!
    erm, youre supposed to drop dead
    Why are you still reading THIS, you´re supposed to be DEAD!!!
    Dont make me crawl through your t.v.

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

There is a Ring 2 & 3 (Japanese of course) they're even better than the first one.

18. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] The Japanese one had better be scarier. I recently saw the American one and was heavily disappointed. What scenes were you afraid of? How could you be scared of someone walking out of the TV???? (no offense – I’m probably scared of stuff you’re not) Although this was one of the more frightening movies I’ve seen, it totally failed to scare me a small bit. And no, I’m not bragging because the friends I went with were totally terrified. I still don’t understand? The cheap makeup? The computer graphics? The rushed plot?

Well, at least it scared some people into watching less TV, I hope.

BTW, there is a funny part, although it’s kind of stupid, which happens at the end. But I’m not going to spoil didn’t want to spoil that. I was like the only one in the theatre laughing.

I think this was also a good indicator that I have played too much Icewind Dale, after slaying thousands and thousands of skeleton freaks, I'm beginning to become indifferent to this stuff... :)

[ November 11, 2002, 09:11: Message edited by: Farthy ]

19. Morgoth

Media:
    IMO this movie (Jap version) was scarier than Excorsist (I couldnt stop laughing when I saw that movie) and Poltergeist

20. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've heard that the Japanese version is better, and I've also heard that it's heavy and spends a lot of time on the lead woman breaking down. Who knows? I saw the american Ring and I thought it was creepy--then again, I used to be terrified of Scooby Doo when I was a kid.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.