1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your favorite "The Doors" song?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Triactus, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I want to know, what is your favorite "The Doors" song, and why? And also, when/where did you first hear it?

Mine would have to be "The End". I absolutly love Jim Morrison's poem, this oedipal epic. The music is exquisitly added to his words. I also very much like the song's "avant-garde" side. While "The Beatles" were singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand", they were touring the local bars, with "The End"'s lyrics, which are quite shocking, for one who does not understand the context of it. Finally, I love the song's intensity!

I first heard it, actually, in the opening sequence of Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now".

If you hate "The Doors", don't be afraid to post why. I very much like these kind of discussions. :)

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

People are strange.

I think the lyrics appealed to me at the time, coz I'd recently moved from Norway to the UK when I first heard it and I felt somewhat as an outsider.

First heard it when I saw "The lost boys" (incidently one of the best movie soundtracks in my opinion).

Yeah, I know it was OMD (iirc) who covered it, but that did not stop it being great.

3. faded Guest

My favorite is "The Roadhouse Blues", though I really think "The End" is better...

I found myself in a rather strange, gloomy place at one point when I was in a strange mood, and someone put the Roadhouse Blues on. A perfect song for a weird situation... :)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] "The End" is a great song, It's eery! I especially like it in the movie "Apocalypse Now!"

But I think my favorite song by the Doors is "Riders on the Storm" with L.A. Woman taking a close second.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Tough one. I am a big Doors fan. I have the box set on my desk and Morrison Hotel in my CD player in the car.
    I can't pick one so here's a few:

The End
    Riders on the Storm
    Roadhouse Blues
    Crystal Ship
    L.A. Woman
    When the musics over
    Waiting for the sun (this has been stuck in my head for the last two days)

Favorite album: either "The Doors" or "L.A. Woman"

Disk 4 of the box set is band favorites, here they are:
    Robby Krieger:
    Light My Fire
    Peace Frog
    Wishful Sinful
    Take it as it comes
    L.A. Woman

Ray Manzarek:
    I can't see our face in my mind
    Land Ho!
    Yes the river knows
    Shaman's blues
    You're lost little girl

John Densmore:
    Love me two times
    When the musics over
    The unknown soldier
    Wild child
    Riders on the storm

6. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'll have to say 'People are strange' as well.
    I first heard it in the mid 80's before the lost boys used it.
    A girlfriend of mine loved the doors. (that's a friend who just happens to be a girl)

7. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hell... pretty much anything off of 'The Doors'. My favourite track's probably 'Light My Fire', but 'Break On Through (To The Other Side)', 'Soul Kitchen' and 'Crystal Ship' all come a close second.

8. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

"Riders on the Storm".
    I don't like the Doors that much, actually.

9. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I dont know The Doors

I am so young! :rolling:

10. Triactus

Media:
    I've always listen to the two CD "Best Of The Doors" that I have, but I recently bought "Soft Parade". And the "Soft Parade" song is kinda growing on me! :)
    I really like the beginning. Morrison's "You cannot petition the Lord with prayers", and after that, Morrison's voice with the piano is really beautiful!

11. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The End - certainly his best song. The recording of that fot the first album was typically beautiful. Morrison was off his tits on whatever he could get, and was coherent only for long enough to take one go at recording. The entire song was recodred in one, in the dark, the only lights going were the gauges in the box.

I went to Morrisons grave in Paris, and had this song playing... was very touching

12. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The End.

Definitely.

Although there was a time when I was crazy about "The Doors", and I loved every song they made.

13. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

Riders on the Storm is also fabulous (sorry to be predictable). I like this because it is such a fitting end - their last song on their last album and it is so stunning.

14. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ack, I hate the Doors! I find the lyrics pretentious and the music bombastic. I quite like Yes, though, and it has been pointed out to me that they are far more of both -- but eh. I think that the Doors only work if you fancy Jim Morrison. And I *don't*, not with a ten-foot pole.

But I do like "People are Strange." "Women [or men!] seem wicked, when you're unwanted," is a perceptive line. I think that it was Echo and the Bunnymen who covered that for "The Lost Boys."

15. Triactus

Media:
    What makes you think that the lyrics are pretentious, and the music bombastic?

And why do you dislike Jim Morrison?

And I do not agree when you said that the only way to like The Doors is to like Morrison. He was the most outgoing of the four, yes, but he was far from the most essential member. All four constituted The Doors. If either Densmore, Kreiger or Manzarek had died insted of Morrison, the group would have separated still. That's what made the Doors special. They had incredeble chemistry. When on stage, they could stretch a 3 minute song into 11 minutes, all improvising. Morrison was a part of the whole. It's a mistake to think he WAS the whole.

16. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hi Methyl. Some of the lyrics are pretentious (or just throw away imagery). But this can be said for most of that time period. I am a HUGE Moody Blues fan and they have been accused of the same. I don't get it.
    Speaking of Yes, I am going to see them tomorrow night (Friday) with some friends at an arena in Mass. USA. It should be a great show. I have not seen theme since 1983.

17. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I know I am in the minority -- the vast minority, Triactus. Everyone likes the Doors. I also hate the Dead -- so I'm a freak, and you can discount my little opinion with confidence. It seems to me that Morrison's persona was such a huge part of the Doors experience -- that if he strikes you as some kind of proto-goth Austin Powers you won't get too far in your appreciation.

But ooh, Jack -- Yes! The closest I ever came to seeing Yes was a Steve Howe master class at Musicians Institute. You can imagine that it was very crowded! And amazing...

18. Triactus

Media:
    Oh no, Methylviolet. I'm not judging you or anything. :)
    Everybody is intitled to their opinion. I just mind when it is not backed up by something. I hate it when people just say things.

Your right, however, that Morrison probably scared a lot of people away. But if they're going to be that judgemental, why would he want them to listen to his music?

19. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I have to join Methylviolet in the minority of not caring for the Doors.
    My reason is simple: I just don't like their music, but I don't hold anything against those that do.

20. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

I can see where Methyl is coming from. The Doors were immature, self centred and self worshipping, Morrison was interested wholly in self destruction - at least two (possibly three) of the six albums are dire.

However, they became important because at the time of their first album, American music was in the doldrums (most interesting stuff was British). The early anger of the music (the End, the rebelious Light my Fire) is still strikes a chord, and is so much more elegant and eloquent than the equivalent today (its encouraging to see that Fred Durst can pretend to be angry, but it sounds appalling - and isn't anything other than entirely manufactured anyway).

That they remain lodged in our hearts is probably (at least partly) due to Morrisons death (in the vein of Hendrix and Joplin before). The efforts of the remaining Doors members is probably also important (the American Poet album, the films, the rumours and the re issues etc...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.