1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings comes this X-mas...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slackertoast, Nov 26, 2001.

1. gollum Banned

[​IMG] Headbanger, you are right! the movie won't be as good.

[This message has been edited by gollum (edited December 15, 2001).]

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

plenty of south island scenery in the movie though - probably edited out all the sheep on the canterbury plains i reckon

3. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Look out for the OFFICIAL SP review, Thursday 20th December

4. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Remember, the Book was written in the 50s by an Oxford don. At that time, women were relegated to fairly minor roles, leaving the 'action' stuff to the menfolk.
    Now in these days of Political Correctnes, such an attitude would bring howls of protest from the feminist lobbies. IMHO this is why Arwen's role has been beefed up.

Tom Bombadil? Lets face it, in a movie he would be so boring. Read the poetry for its own sake, he's not key to the plot.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tom Bombadil may be boring to someone, but not to me.

Besides, it really interests me where will the weapon to deal Nazgul be found without Tom Bombadil. With all respect to you Erran, IMHO this weapon is one of key things in the story, but to you it is obviously irrelevant.

6. gollum Banned

[​IMG] Slackertoast there will be some love seens at the end of the 3 movie.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Leave out Tom Bombadil, and the film will be slaughtered by evert single Tolkien community on this planet. The hobbits will die twice without him, and therefor we will loose a lot of action if he's not there. At least the tree scene has to be there.

And there will be too many damn minutes of Aragorn and Arwen hugging or whatever in this film :rolleyes:.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I agree with Erran, in the books all Arwen did to aid with the quest is to stay home and stitch a banner. How would the PC faction take that? She stayed home knitting needle in hand. For some reason I can't see that flying. The point about the book being created 50 years ago is a valid one. The role of women was viewed rather differently back then. I'm just a little put out the Gorfindel (sp?) was cut out yet again. The poor guy is a great character (see the appendix) but he is always getting the shaft in any screen version of the book. :(

9. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] The film will never match the 1978 animated version by Ralph Bakshi (he who brought us Fritz the Cat)...
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0077869

That was a cinema classic.

10. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] The operative word is 'was'. A great film by 1970s standards (I have it), but very dated by today's standards. If you want a reference to compare the film to, try the BBC audio tapes.

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Mirkwood, I hope that was a joke. The 1978 version is worse than words can explain. Just thinking about it brings a chill to my spine.

But on a happier note the movie is out tonight. only 13 hours to go. All you folks over in Europe have even less time.

Enjoy the show!

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

YAY! A (half-)Dane, in one of the greatest, (if not the greatest) movies of the year. Viggo Mortensen looks really cool as Aragorn IMO. Even though I didn't imagine Aragorn with a beard, it looks cool anyway.

13. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

O Yes, the BBC audio tapes, those are excellent. Been listening to those over and over and over again...
    Nearly as good as the HHGTTG-tapes.

And Oh, I have seen LOTR yesterday at 00.05, and the only thing I will say about it is that I have again tickets for tonight...... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.