1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings comes this X-mas...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slackertoast, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am really excited about Lord of the Rings the movie. I am suprised no one here has mentioned it(in the last 30 days). It comes out in 3 weeks. I really hope it is good. It is based on one of the best fantasy stories ever. I am also hoping that they don't ruin it by inserting romance. Hollywood sometimes does that kind of crap just to piss me off. My prime example being 'Pearl Harbor'.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] No one has mentioned it? :heh: Check the latest "send your spam here and here only" thread on this very forum. LOTR and its merchandise has been mentioned. Search around you'll find more references. And what is so bad about romance? (At least when its done right.)

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited November 26, 2001).]

3. Majjin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Lord of the Rings movie is gonna be good, yes..but they have removed way to much, including removing main book characters completly, and or not mentioning them at all. I know its gonna be big, but if ya havent read the book then DONT see the movie, it'll just make you think poorly of the whole series.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Big B, the wrong thing with the romance comes to my mind when I remember Umberto Eco's kickass book "Il nome della rosa" (sorry, noone in the chatroom knows the English name).

In the book a young monk has a sex with a local prostitute. There are three sentences about it in the book. The fourth sentence comes later - prostitute ends up burned alive for witchcraft.
    I spitted on the movie because the whole movie was made around that non-existing romance (although to those who haven't read the book, movie was actually good - as a melodrama). Also, the prostitute in the movie doesn't die. Grrrrrr....

And back to LOTR: I have a bad feeling that I'll see prostitutes in there as I expect from Hollywood's book adaptions. I'm 100% positive noone wants them except sexually endangered and disturbed people. That means Hollywood producers, directors, etc etc.

Sorry for using the "prostitute" word, but I can't find less vulgar one.

5. Luan Guest

Extremist, that book is 'The Name Of The Rose' in English

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I suspect that this film has been made to be understandable for people who have not read the books, and for people who are not that into the world of Tolkien. We who adore fantasy will not think this film will be that good. I will go out from the cinema with a long list of stuff from the film which sucks. Reading the book will be way better than seeing the film. I am 110% sure on that.

But I've booked tickets for Friday 21st of December. Can't miss this one ;).

7. Deimos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] In my opinion, the book is always better than the film- how can you convey feelings or thoughts in a film without its impact lessening?
    I for one am really looking forward to LOTR and I'm *very* glad they haven't tried to make it funny as that can really butcher a book-turned-film...

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I don't think any film could do justice to JRRT's books. The story is just too big and complex. But I think the film director, actors, and producers have tried to keep the spirit of the story alive. No, it won't be as good as the books but it will be damn good itself. I'll be there opening night to watch.

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

From what people that have seen it have said, it does a good job at following the books. I predict that this movie will be to fantasy movies what the books were to fantasy books.

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

But if Tom Bombadil isn't there, this film is doomed to be a huge disappointment.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I'm sure the film will seem paltry compared to the books. For the small segmant of the population that read Tolkein over and over again, it might end up being insulting because they changed this or that or they didn't include this or that. That's bound to happen. It is meant for mass consumption. And even if it's a three hour epic, it obviously won't be big enough to encompass the book. However, our video store got in our new movies this week, and Rush Hour 2 had a full length preview of the movie on it. And it looked just spectacular. Seriously, it just sent chills down my spine. Between that and all the comercials that are running for the movie right now, I can't wait. Perhaps that this is because I've never read any of his books, and likely never will. But I have high expectations for this movie, and I am very confident they won't be dashed like the dnd movie did.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The film will be good and I'm glad this way many people who never heard about LoTR and now do, also discover how great the works of Tolkien are......

The bad thing is that the movie changed some parts of the book, Peppin now by accident leaned at a skeleton that fell i nthe ater and waked Durin's Bane etc.....

The cast is good and there is much money spent to make the movie a succes (I'm afraid even a Hype).. but still the movie can never be as good as the book. For a book let you make your own images of people, locations, etc.... but a movie shows you how the producer thinks it is... I'm not going to let my own pictures and ideas be changed by the movie.

13. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm curious that they seem to be playing on Arwen's role a lot (at least in the trailers). OK, they want to increase the romance side of the story, but how can they do that as she stays in Rivendell all the time? Possibly the film stays in Rivendell for a long time (so cutting other parts of the story), or maybe she even comes with them (Nine Walkers Plus One?)... I guess they could also do some scenes in Lorien, as Galadriel is closely linked with the romance.
    Unless it's all a ploy to get more people interested: "Look! It's got Liv Tyler!"

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yesterday I found out that music for LOTR movie is by Enya.

I'll watch it only for that! In fact, I'll keep my eyes closed and just listen to her new masterpieces.

15. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Extremist: HAHA! If that's what makes you happy than by all means. I, on the other hand, don't feel like paying $9.00 to close my eyes :p. I will, however, do the pathetic thing and go see it by myself because I don't know anyone who will go with me. Either way, I WILL be at the movie theatre on December 19, for the first showing of the day :roll: :D

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Extremist, you can buy the soundtrack-cd. Then you don't have to visit the movie. But stop being so negative. Just watch the movie and don't compare it with the book and don't think: Ah so does he/she/it look, instead of what I thought. Look to it but don't let it change the pictures of things in the book that you have in your head. See the movie just as a good fantasy-movie and not as "the truth of the book, how it really is."

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon guys.

Just make the assumption that a film based on the greatest book ever will be bloody excellent!

Besides I've got to say that the preview parts I've seen look pretty cool to say the least.

Arwen and romance.. Barely mentioned in TFoTR as far as I recall, but still I can live with that.

Tickets are booked and I'm looking forward to it!

18. gollum Banned

I think the movie will not be as good but its going to be a very good movie and I hope they don't hack and slash up the movie up because all the little things make the book so good:):):):):):)

19. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I do believe that the movie will be but another butchered AC/DC version of Stairway to Heaven, if you understand the metaphor.

Apparently this 'book-following deep tale of magic and treachery, with rich plot and unique style' needs action figures pumped into all the stores and eighteen dollar movie tickets floating around the streets as occasionally as blue cow-monkeys. Funny how millions of people will line up to see the show at the theaters - or have they already? - like suddenly enlightened robots ready for their annual dose of oil. I won't argue that it's a good show - hell, no, just that these $$$ people have overdone it AGAIN.

I can't believe Mr. Butwipeface the director actually said he made Lord of the Rings for HIMSELF. The next thing I saw was a commercial for the movie that was about two minutes long, and a drawn-out Holiday Hollywood special, practically a fundraiser for poor Mr. and Mrs. Moneymaker, who'll think up the best ways to make cash no matter what great ideas they may or may not ruin.

Here's what I say: If Tolkien were still alive, he'd be having shitfits.

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I don't agree. This movie wil also make the book and Tolkien's other works more popular. This way people can com ein contact with Tolkien's world. Maybe with the technical options we have today, Tolkien wouldn't have had problems with this movie. Tolkien wouldn't have the story changed, and in that time it was impossible to make a movie and let the story remain, now it is a bit different, however ou can't make the story exactly like people think it is. I won't let my pictures of people etc be changed by the movie but will be happy thatw e finally have a good fantasymovie. Of course the makers make money with this... but booksellers also make money with selling Tolkien-books... I gladly pag 3x8 dollar for such a good movie.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.