1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Have you ever been to America?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jack Funk, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] And if so, for how long? And where did you visit?

I ask this question because of the comments made about my country. Many are ridiculously broad based, venomous, and ignorant. I realize that they are opinions, which in most cases are meaningless, but I try to provide an opinion based on experience and education. If I can't, then I keep my mouth shut (or in this case, my fingers off the keyboard).

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sure, I've been in America for the past 34 years, and have visited several states and many national parks :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 17, 2002).]

3. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Me too, which is why I dont reply to "what do you think of Americans." The folks in New York, New Orleans, LA and Kokomo Indiana are as different as Italians, Finns, Belgians and Brits. Would you like all Europeans lumped together?

4. Silverblade Guest

I have been to America once. I went to Florida two years ago and loved it there. It was a perfect vacation. We rented a big house, with a swimming pool and we visited lots of amusement parks. The everglades were fun to visit, going with great speed over the swamps and seeing alligators and other animals you would never find in my country. I would like to visit the USA again, but then maybe go to another state.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Erran,

I made the exact same point as you in the other thread. Except that I compared L.A. and Columbia, South Carolina.

Regardless, we are in agreement.

The only blanket statement that one can make about the people that live in any part of the world is that they are people.

Edit: Part of my response to Erran was unnecessary. I should have read the post more closely. My bad.

[This message has been edited by Jack Funk (edited January 17, 2002).]

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I beg to differ, not by much but by alittle. I can understand that people in New York and Wisconsin are different but it is still the same base culture and mostly the same language and holidays.

The differences in Europe are vast, not only are Europe MUCH bigger than the US it have people from very different cultures. The EU have had major problems to even come to existance, and that is still mostly a trade adn tariff agreement. And dont forget that Europe are both the UK and Moldavia, countries that are as different as the US and China.

I would really like to go to the US someday. I would like to travel around the country and see all of. See all of the differences in this vast country. And see the culture for my self without the filter of Hollywood or media.

7. I don't mean to flame, but Jack Funk, regardless how offended you are with comments, but I am quite upset those big chunk of lands ABOVE and BELOW "america" are part of america too. Just because you are *called* "americans" does not mean the continent evolves around you. I mean, there *are* Canadians using the boards. So next time, try to change your comments to "has anyone been to USA?" because, that is your point, right?

8. *Dudette Guest

I don't mean to be supporting Americans or anything but I think that a lot of the opinions coming from other people about the US and totally unfair. Just because the president is a dumb a** doesn't mean that the whole country is!

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Shadow Goddess,

First, I never said I was offended. Nobody here has the ability to offend me. I am merely asking this question to understand what people are basing their opinions on.

Second, I disagree with you about my use of America. We are talking about countries not continents. My usage of the term is commonly accepted, here on the boards (as evidenced by the other threads), in the press, and by the enemies of my country. Do you consider yourself to be an American? No, you referred to yourself as a Canadian. You didn't have anything of value to add so you got pissy about symantics.

You didn't even bother to answer the question.

10. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I live in an oblique, white-painted hell covered with smiley faces and run by a demon dressed like Big Bird.

I can't go to America the same way you can't step through a mirror.

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

To keep to the topic: I've been to: Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York, Washington Dc and various parts of Florida.

All thoroughly nice places IMHO (Although Santa Barabara or San Diego was the best :D)

12. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I was born and raised in America. I currently live in San Marcos, CA. (a bit north from San Diego)

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I spent a month in Kansas City with my sister when I was 12. I liked it, people were nice and all that.
    I may be visiting US again nest christmas... my sis will get.... what's it called, the academical degree where you het the funny hat?

Anyways, I liked it there, and I have, for the past tn years, planned going to college in the States. And I will do so.

Ara
    (Sleepy... so sleepy...)

14. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have visited New York once and I have been to Miami. I liked NY much and disliked Miami very much.
    But then again, the same question can be asked at our american friends here, who has visited Europe ?

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited January 18, 2002).]

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Erran, you discovered that there are more boards then RC only :) Welcome ;)

I have never been in America... nor any other continent then Europe (however I have seen many of Europe)

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Although we are both now Canadian citizens, my husband is from Akron, Ohio, USA and I am from Paris, France. We've visited each other's homelands, and frankly, we both like mine better. ;)

It's true that regions make a difference- I am not fond of Paris in my own country, preferring the south (especially Nice). Similarly, although New Orleans and Florida are about as close geographically as Paris and Nice, I loved New Orleans and hated Florida.

I like Canada better than either France or the USA. The people are gentle and polite, and the beer is unbelievable.

I recently passed through the USA on connecting flights to Barbados, and the US customs officials I encountered both going and returning made such an effort to single me out for Hell that I have been soured on the USA. Normally I am grateful to that country for producing the finest husbands in the world. At least, my sample group of one has been flawless. :D

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited January 18, 2002).]

17. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've been to Europe and other places. Here's a list. Ireland (2 months), England (2months), Paris (2 months), Egypt (2 months), Germany (1 month), Algiers (1 month), Saudia Arabia, Yeman, Poland, Philipines, Japan, and many others. And no, I was not in the military, however Ido work for the airlines and was sent to those places to work. It's different when you work with people from a various countries as opposed to being in different countries on vacation. I can say that each place had something about it that I enjoyed.

18. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Sprite,

Canada is a nice place. Cold, but nice. I have never been to France, but look forward to visiting. Nice sounds nice (sorry, couldn't help it). When I was in Spain, my favorite part was the Mediteranian (sp?) coast. Especially Barcelona. I would like to visit other locations along the coast, starting with France or Italy, then eventually Greece.

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you liked Barcelona, you'll probably like Nice (pronounced "Neese"). Barcelona is actually my favorite place to visit in the world! Nice is another seaside city, one of the biggest cities in the country but like Barcelona it has a lot of really ancient buildings that are still used every day (e.g. 500 year old homes and shops) so it has lots of character. And the food- my God, the food! If you like seafood you'll never leave. You should definitely go. :)

20. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Nice is a great city :) I've gone there pretty much every summer for the last 7 or 8 years and I love it :D.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.