1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Missing Person Alert

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Moeken, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

*pats egg on the shoulder*

now now, egg, dont listen to those fools, of course we ALL missed you. Or I did at least...

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Let me use my 'awesome' psyker powers for a while here.

Syl is saying that if you value his friendship you may send a letter to his work e-mail address. Otherwise he doesn't give a shit about Sorceror's Place and won't come back.

Taluntain is saying that he equates Syl with the walkthrough because that is more important to him.

Heh heh, please put me in my place if I'm wrong. :D

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Huh? Did you just pull that one out of the hat or something? Boy, if I equated Syl with the walkthru we'd be through a long time ago. :p
    Syl knows how things stand. Read his intro at the IWD walkthrugh he made and you'll get a clue. ;)

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] thanks sniper *dries teers* ;)

5. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

Was I right before or am I right only now?

Oh well, it was foreseeable. I don't know if everything had been done to prevent this or if people just tried to "save face" or act "macho" or something. I guess that on the face of it we'll just never know.

What I can't understand is, some of you others have foreseen the same thing too, and yet you choose to remain silent and act as if otherwise. I am still trying to understand these things which the rest of you already know.

Why stay silent? Why obey a taboo?

Please enlighten me!

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] We stay silent because the outcome IS inevitable. And also because it is no one else's business.

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

*sob* Alas for Syl, I'll neve get to insult Grub, him and his horrible gaming tatics again. *sob*

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Well Darien that is kind of a fatalist attitude, but I suppose I do have to give that some thought.

I'm very far from a fatalist so the concept is a little alien I guess.

Hmmm....

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't say the outcome is or was inevitable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Syl came back to post in the future since he knows many of us enjoy his thoughts.

As to preventing the forseeable, if they had problems with the existing arrangement here at Sorcerer's Place, why try to force them to maintain it? The whole point of this place is fun and enjoyment for people with common interests. If it ceases to be fun, why continue to come?

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited February 15, 2001).]

10. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] As soon as the expansion is out, so will Syl! Anyone for a bet!!

[This message has been edited by Silroth (edited February 15, 2001).]

11. Lo Guest

He's probably playing BG2 as we speak, just hiding it from us ;) The thing is Silroth, if he won't finish the game, expansion is an add on to nothing. Expansion*0=0

I think u all know my opinion, and frankly I would also like to hear other people's thoughts. In that little locked topic u can find on your friendly Whatsnots board, Tal tells me to ask Syl back, if I really feel like it.
    For this to happen I need two things:
    1.If the majority of these board feels like ignoring this issue, or doesn't want to see Sylvus again there is no reason why he should be coming back. So I most humbly ask u to vote your voices and opinions pro and against him. Please let him know u care, and u want to see him back. Or not, it's your call.
    2.The e-mail that I can write to him and inform of the results of this poll, in case he's not secretly checks out these boards anyway ;)

Dismissed, Pale Fire

[This message has been edited by Lo (edited February 19, 2001).]

12. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Why should Sylvus come back?

Lo, if you think anybody felt especially strong about his leaving they would've contacted him or voiced their minds already?

From what I gather at the worst there are people who want Syl to go, and at the best the majority are mere fence sitters.

In my opinion, Syl should not come back, for his own good. He should just up and go and never look back. Perhaps he should even forget the "friends" he has made here.

13. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Good lord, this isn't a popularity contest, people. It's barely even real life! We don't need to vote on someone's likability! If he wants to come back, I'm sure he will! If not, I'm sure he's got plenty to do IRL, and is wasting no time bemoaning his absence from these boards. :)

14. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Couldn't agree more with Lady Noella, don't blow this whole thing out of proportions, please. I, for one, am pretty sure Syl has plenty of other things to do then feel sorry for not posting anymore at this little community of ours.

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Darien and Bane said what I actually wanted to say so well that I'm ashamed of myself.

16. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just my 2c.

Do you remember the thread started by herf asking what each one of us brought to the community? I think Syl brought a lot (maybe not so much lately). I'd be glad if I get to read more of his intelligent post on the board. But there are things IRL that are more important than these boards (excellent btw). I myself quit posting on the BoM for almost 5 months because I had a very strong relationship with a girl underway and it took up almost all of my time.
    Syl will be deciding if he has time and wish to post.
    And Lo, please don't accuse us of being fence sitters, because we do not like to look like those Fanatics in the Gov't Area: "Burn her!" (eqiv to "Do you want Syl back").

17. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Ah Modjahed, but it was ME that called you fence sitters. :D

But worry not, for I call any of you that no more! :o

18. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sorry Lo, a little targeting error. :D

19. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Trust me: It doesn't pay to get involved in this issue between Syl and Tal or anything to do with the behind-the-scenes aspect of this site. You end up getting smeared and misrepresented in the crossfire or have your head bitten off time and again. IMHO: Leave it alone. This particular subject is really a joy-drain on this site anyway. Used to look forward to coming on these boards. Now it's a minefield of egos.

Syl was very helpful to me - when no one else was - when I first came on these boards, always sympathetic, always polite, and always informatative. Even when I emailed him directly with a stupid Icewind Dale question easily answered elsewhere (I was a newbie - still am), he responded and, while letting me know of the other ways to find answers, answered me nonetheless, and was nice about it. Other people were not so nice to newbies.

So I'll always welcome Syl back for that and hope he stays on the boards, even as just another poster and resident gadfly.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] "This particular subject" has been closed as far as I'm concerned, and for a while now. I don't talk about it anymore, and the only people who do only keep recycling the same old thing we went through dozens of times before. Really, I couldn't care less. I left this topic open because there's no sense not to, people will just start a new one then.

As far as egos go... The site is mine so I suppose a bit of ego shows from time to time. But honestly, you're the only person who keeps complaining about it for some reason.

And lastly, people here on the boards aren't informative? Not nice to newbies? WTF?
    In all the time the boards are up we've been informative and nice to newbies. We still are. And if you saw one post amongst thousands that looked otherwise... then it's just bad luck I suppose. Shit happens even to the best of us.
    But I think everyone here knows that if anything, we do our best to help. That's the reason I created these boards anyway. Imagine what my mailbox looked like every day before they were up!
    I was answering circa 20 emails a day with game problems, and I haven't rejected or not replied to a single one. I know you could't have known that, that's what I'm telling you. Just for a bit of illustration what goes on in the background.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.