1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can a Thief use the Light Crossbow of Speed?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yup, thieves can use light crossbows (not heavy). But he still can't backstab with it. ;)

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I didn't think they could use any sort of crossbow in the original only in the sequel?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, I'm sure they can use light crossbows in BG1. I always check these things before I post.

5. Fly2tHeSkY

AS it states in the BG manual, only Fighters, Rangers, Paladins and Bards can use crossbows, small or otherwise but NO thieves.

I've been playing for a while and always got annoyed because I couldn't use crossbows with my vanilla thief.

You might be reffering to Tutu or something Fel ...

6. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

The manual is wrong.

7. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Dont ever disagree with FEL. I dont care what the creator told you! Fel is always right period
    he even helps me with my math homework...

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Ok then, the manual is wrong ...

So then WHY can't my thief equip ANY light crossbow?

9. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I have just installed Baldur's Gate again to check this out - it turns out you need the TotSC expansion pack if you want a thief to use a crossbow.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember the last time I played BG1 without TotSC expansion - so Fallen Paladin could very well be correct. AFAIK, I've never had any difficulty in equipping a thief with a light crossbow, but as I've said, it's been somewhere around 6 or 7 years since I've played BG1 no expansion.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Well well, I guess SILVERSHIELD was right!!!

Thieves can't use ANY sort of crossbow in the original, only the expansion it seems ...

Thanks FP!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.