1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie Help Please

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by TrevElvis, Sep 3, 2006.

1. TrevElvis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have just started playing BG again and wanted to update a few things. For example I have tried to use different portraits but it doesnt tell my where to extract them to and I cant find them in my game, Also I have downloaded new sounds but I have extracted them to the sounds folder but they dont appear in my game also. Lastly I downloaded a New Text mod and have extracted that to the main directory but not sure if that is working either. Sorry if these are common sense but I havent got any lol. Thanks

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Portraits you extract to the portraits folder (if you don't have one yet, just make one), and most WeiDU mods require you to run an executable (.EXE) to install them. I don't know if this New Text mod is WeiDU, but it's a fair chance if there weren't detailed installation instructions in the readme. Not sure about the sounds, though.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can help with the portraits. In you game directory, there is a sub folder named portraits that you extract the files into if you havent already. If you have done this, make sure that the resolution of the pictures matches what is needed for the game. As for sounds, in the sounds folder there should be a .txt files that will show you how to label the sound files properly if they didnt come in the format needed.

Edit: Just beat me to it Fel

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Are the files properly names? They should be no more than 8 characters long.

5. TrevElvis Gems: 1/31

Baldur's Gate Sound Sets - All 25 NPCs (Compiled by Kevin Murphy) 17MB Download
    Includes 25 voice sets from all 25 Baldur's Gate NPCs, edited so that you can use them for your main character. All the soundsets included are now available as separate downloads as well: Ajantis, Alora, Branwen, Coran, Dynaheir, Edwin, Eldoth, Faldorn, Garrick, Imoen, Jaheira, Kagain, Khalid, Kivan, Minsc, Montaron, Quayle, Safana, Shar-Teel, Skie, Tiax, Viconia, Xan, Xzar, Yeslick.

This is what I downloaded but cant work out how to use as main character

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I d/l it to see what was needed myself.

It's a compressed file, so you'll need either WinRAR or Winzip to extract the files.

Double click on the book pile icon. You'll open up the WinRAR/Winzip thing and it lists the files in that d/l. Now, click on Extract and you can put in the destination of where these files are going. It should be something like:

C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BG\Sounds

7. TrevElvis Gems: 1/31

I have done all that as I have WinRar & Winzip but even though I put them in the sounds folder I cant work out how to make them available for my main Character ???

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Is the soundfiles located in subdirectories or such ? they should all lie in the "sounds" folder with no subdirectories.

example: C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BG\Sounds\Ajantisa.wav

not: C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BG\Sounds\Ajantis\Ajantisa.wav

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Indeed. That sounds pack puts them into their own folders. You have to remove all the .WAV files from each folder and dump them all into /sounds.

10. TrevElvis Gems: 1/31

Thanks that works now

11. raptor Gems: 16/31

This could all have been avoided if people read the readme and info for sound files in BG carefully ;)

[ September 08, 2006, 19:27: Message edited by: raptor ]

12. TrevElvis Gems: 1/31

sorry for being a mere mortal

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

IIRC, none of the readmes say to extract the .wav files from subfolders.

14. raptor Gems: 16/31

As located in all Baldurs Gate 1 "sounds" folders in all installs. Yeah not all people notice it, but it is kinda natural place to look for info about sounds in the game in the sounds directory.

15. Pyrokinetic Velocity Gems: 1/31

lol

[I hope your future contributions to our boards will involve a bit more effort... -Tal]

[ November 14, 2006, 14:34: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.