1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Words no one uses anymore, and that frankly have no meaning now

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Teensabre, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Tally Ho, old chap, throw another faggot on the fire, and come and sit with my ***** and warm your lithe dungarees! We will discuss marvy radicals and other incredible politically correct things, unless you are one of those queer folk and have a stigma about it? Coo?

[EDIT] I was referring to my dog! So that should not have been censored! [END EDIT]

[The censoring is automatic and does not take context into account :) - BTA]

[ September 24, 2002, 15:52: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Radical, stigma, ***** (in its proper context), lithe, loquacious and sloop are all words I use at least once a year, and hear many times more than that. They certainly still have meaning. Nowdays, words are more often recycled than forgotten. Their definition is changed or overloaded. Take gay, cool, and radical as examples.

That said, when I received a mail at work the other day thanking me for my "timeous assistance", I had to reach for a dictionary (or at least type the URL for one). I'd somehow managed to get through 22 years of life without hearing that before. What a bizarre word.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

just so you know i uses this words:
    cool
    coo
    radical
    Cowabunga
    Geronimo

so it is still people that uses these words

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Hmm, any word with more than five letters is almost never used in America anymore.

comely-nobody that I have talked with knows that when you call a girl this, it's a compliment

thee, thou, thy, ye. Archaic Elizabethan expressions.

genre is something I never hear anymore.

[ September 24, 2002, 23:34: Message edited by: Rastor ]

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm.... how about foreasmuch?

Also, I use the expression coo very often. I actually sound a lot like Gaelan Bayle when I say it... :evil:

I guess that too some people some words aren't as familiar because of the context they're used in.

Ara
    (Feeling like she should kick something and soon...)

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Scara, you really should open your eyes. WHITE people use the word too. Way too much.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Flog

Jerry (unless you play too much Medal of Honor)
    Positron-Glider :) (you have to have grown up with the movie)
    Fathom (a unit of depth)
    League (a unit of mainly nautical distance)
    Furlong (a unit of mainly used by land surveyers)
    Chit ;)

[ September 27, 2002, 00:54: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

8. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I hear genre quite often, but that's the only one here :p .
    How about "gazoongas" (ga-zoon-gahz)? I haven't heard that in a while...and I've only ever used it once.

9. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

About 90% of the vocabulary words in high school texts aren't ever used by anyone:
    waive- to give up
    carnal- partaining to the flesh
    spendthrift- wasteful
    mollify- to make less harsh
    verbose- wordy

10. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gnarly. When was the last time anyone ever said that?

11. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] How bout Cherubic? as in cute, round, little angel face? example: those little genderless naked angel babies with tiny wings.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How about fink?

Tattle-taling or ratting out have replaced this word.

13. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Please and Thank You ;)

14. JC Denton Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What about Boobs do you use that word anymore? hehe :p

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"By your leave, Sir/Madam."

Unless you live on a military base in the US.

Heh, heh, heh...

16. Dudette_ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis... The longest word in the english language... Nobody uses that word... or antidisestablishmentarianism...

17. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well actually a school friend of mine often uses the word antidisestablishmentarianism simply because it's a long word which very few people use (him and you apparently) and not many people know the meaning of it and most of all cos i can't say it easily. oh and yes i do know what it means (or at least what he tells me it means) "the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry the 8th" that's what he says, i dunno if it's right but it sounds good. Hmm can i think of any words..................... nope :D

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Cushti
    Morged
    Thertin
    Frib

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Go read Jane Eyre and THEN come and post some weird words.

Ara
    (Loving the book)

20. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Flobbadob
    Inching
    Weed

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.