1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't enter final battle

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by hendak, Aug 23, 2006.

1. hendak Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] After spending many hours replaying BG, I have finally made it to the Undercity. But, every time I try to enter the temple to fight Sarevok and his minions, the game crashes. I've tried it multiple times, and even reinstalled the game, to no avail. I'm stuck on the doorstep with no way in...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Before we can begin solving your problem, a few pointers could be useful. Try answering these questions;

Is your game patched?
    Are you using any mods?
    Is it a CtD (Crash to Desktop) or is there an assertion error?
    Presuming the latter, what sort of message are you getting?
    What are your general specs for the computer you're using?
    Do you put butter on your toasts?

This should save you and your troubleshooters a lot of time and effort if you can simply inform us firsthand.

3. hendak Gems: 2/31

Thanks, Ziggyveld. I guess I didn't think it through that well before posting. First, I have tried it patched and with a very basic mod that speeds up movement rates if the characters are wearing any boots, not just the Paws of the Cheetah. Then I tried it unpatched, and without the mod. Both had the same result.

The only information it gives is the infamous "Baldur's Gate, the Game has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I use WinXP, have an obsolete laptop with no enhancements, and, like all rational human beings, put butter and butter alone on my toast.

As it's been a couple years since my first time through, I can't remember if there is a cutscene as you enter. Perhaps the movie, if it exists, causes the crash?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yes, there is a movie. Congratulations on finding your own problem. :D As for the solution, I remember there being a post somewhere around here that had a problem with that same movie looping ad nauseam. They fixed it with a re-install.

Another way to fix it is to set the variable that makes sure that the movie only plays once, so that the game thinks it's already played and thus doesn't when you try to enter the final battle. But that's only a short-term solution for a problem that may keep cropping up, so I'd suggest the re-install instead.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

You should try jelly on that toast sometime. It's pretty good!

6. hendak Gems: 2/31

Got it! For some reason, the first reinstall didn't work, but the second did so I'm not complaining!

Thanks to your help, Sarevok is but a corpse. Too bad I couldn't loot his body...I bet he had some excellent armor and such...C'est la vie!

7. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, to be honest, he's got nothing on him.
    In Soa and Tob you can play with him and get some of his items back, like his sword.
    If you have Baldur's Gate Trilogy installed, you can play after killing Sarevok AND you can loot his body, won't say what it is, but it's good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.