1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 5 US States...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, May 31, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, what are your favorite 5 states? You don't have to have been there, just list 5 of your favorites and a reason why.

Here's my list:
    • California - Because I was born and raised there and because it's an all around great place. Great rivers for white water rafting, mountains for skiing, great beaches, and the two seasons: Hot and sunny, and hot and rainy.
    • Hawaii - Never been, but a place that is surrounded by beaches, beautiful women, rich culture, and warm ocean water sounds great!
    • New York – I’m drawn to big cities…especially cities that are near a beach
    • District of Columbia - I guess it's not really a state, but it’s home to my nation’s government as well as numerous monuments…and snipers :p
    • Florida - Got to love that heat, those beaches, and the space museum.
    Oh, and if I see anyone say Utah, they had better have a very good reason for doing so. "I'm blind and deaf," would be a good excuse. :rolling:

2. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Utah isn't up there? Who would have guessed...

3. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] New York!

4. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

in order,

California

North Carolina

Georgia

Arizona

Utah

yes, Utah. St. George? come on, it's absolutly beautiful. Utah has the best rocks for climbing, the best slopes for snowboarding, and then there's those fanatics on bikes wearing ties.(they're fun to pick on and I think they like it)
    who could ask for more?

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Not necessarily in order, but here goes:
    Oregon - very scenic; relaxed living
    Colorado - skiing
    Arizona - scenery and Native American culture
    Pennsylvania - beautiful and historic
    New Jersey - great beaches, cycling, shopping/eating, cultural events, proximity to Philadelphia and New York.

[edit] I forgot my reasons! [/edit]

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Not really in order either:

New York - The city: Step outside your door(which will be an apartment though) and everything is there. It is a universe in itself.
    Upstate: beautiful, especailly in the fall.

New Mexico - Santa Fe and Taos, art and Indian culture.

Massachusetts - History, great culture, home of the American Renaissance writers and poets: Hawthrone, Emerson, Thoreau, etc.

Vermont - Superb scenery.

Colorado - Rocky Mountain High!

I've never been to the West Coast, sorry to say; spent most of my life in the South and New England -- talk about two different worlds.

Texas, where I've spent most of my life: It's like Mississippi only with paved roads.

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

1. Alaska.
    2. Alaska.
    3. Alaska.
    4. Alaska.
    5. Alaska.

Oh, I have to choose more than one state? Ok then.

1. Alaska. Born and raised there, its fishing industry allowed me to receive my undergrad and graduate degrees - I owe it a lot. I love its size. It has a glacier bigger than Rhode Island. If you were to lay a map of Alaska over the US it would stretch from Jacksonville Florida to San Francisco California (not really fair since the Aleutians are part of that but still cool.) Here's the map: http://www.kswmyy.com/alaskamap.htm Its size is cool because 1/20th of 1% of the state is not wilderness. I think because it is the "last fronteir" (sorry trekkers)the residents have a certain rugged individualism I find lacking in the lower 48, that might be purely biased arrogance though. I love its native cultures that have produced the most complex and beautiful artwork of any native culture along with the Haida who ranged further down the west coast of Canada and Washington. I love that kids get a pilot's license before a driver's license. I love that you can see Bald Eagles walking down the street like they are a dime a dozen and that moose can be found hanging out even in Anchorage. From orca to grizzly from salmon to bald eagles from desert to rain forests its just a really, really cool state. Guess that's why to my left I can see the Alaskan flag, above my computer I can see an Alaskan flag carved out of a piece of the pipeline (a replaced part, there isn't some missing chunk of pipeline ;) ) and to the right I can see a picture of a grizzly I took while cruising around the McNeil river. I'm biased. Hell, even the baseball sized misquitos in some parts don't bother me too much, at least they're slow.

2) Hawaii. All the islands are nice but my favorite is Molakai. It is really rough compared to the others but once you get to know the natives populating it you'll really have a special place in your heart for it. It's laid back (as Aka told me, "we surf, poach pigs, and grow pot") and sometimes that's perfect.

3) Oregon. One of the coolest things about Oregon for me is that it is a very, very, very runner friendly state. Eugene is one of the coolest places I've ever been around.

4)North Carolina. Great beaches, great mountains, a great mountains to coast trail, and good barbeque -- ain't that enough? Boone NC and the Outer Banks are my favorite areas there.

5)West Virginia. I heard some people laugh just now -- most of them probably haven't been. The best white water rafting around, beautiful mountains that are particularly gorgeous in the fall, some of the best mountain biking in the nation, along with some of the best hiking and great rock climbing. I'd pick Morgantown to live in there.

@Chandos - in Alaska we used to say to find Texas go south until you smell it and east until you step in it :D

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    @Laches - I think you would feel at home here!

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1. Montana
    2. North Dakota
    3. South Dakota
    4. Iowa
    5. Utah

My psychiatrist told me i have problem living with people. He suggested me solitary way of living. He said that if i am not trouble with by my solitary behavior, there is no need to fix it.

The guy who said West Virginia up there, funny that i just watched this movie "Wrong turn". No, thank you, there is no way you can make me step foot in West Virginia.

10. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

@teekc
    You forgot the proviso for South Dakota that living in Sioux Falls is a must. It is the oasis of prosperity and good living in a sea of ****. Of course I've never been a fan of the country life...

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

1: Utah!: Home of my faith's headquarters and I can make fun of the people who share my faith but take EVERYTHING too seriously.

2: Hawaii: I went there about 15 years ago and loved it.

3: Alaska: I love the Far North.

4: New Jersey: Another fun target for jokes, this time about pollution.

5: Texas: Frequent capital punishment, lots of guns, close to the Mexican border, nice and warm, everything else super-sized --- everything just the way I like it!

12. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ok here goes:

Nevada: Lake Tahoe has the highest concentration of skiing terrain in the US.

Colorado: Yeah, I am a skiing nut!

Wyoming: What can I say, I like rugged terrain.

Texas: A state where it is legal to shoot someone who is stealing your car (if it is essential to your livelihood) has got to be in the top 5!

Utah: I would move there if it wasn't for the fact that if you are not Mormon you are discriminated against sooner or later.

13. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

teekc, if you have a problem living with people, i wouldn't live in utah. People here have more babies per person than any other state.
    here are my top 5.

1. Washington - it's green, has mountains, bands go there, ocean, and the people aren't too shabby either.
    2. Colorado - it's everything Utah *should* be.
    3. California - every band has to stop here, is sunny, and lots of babes.
    4. Washington D.C. - you don't need to buy a car, just take the subway anywhere you need to go!
    5. Wisconsin - the people there are very nice and there are plenty of places to go fishing.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Darkwolf, that's a pretty serious accusation -- Utah is still a state of the Union, and discrimination is just as illegal there as everywhere else. All jobs are open to all people there, just like everywhere else. Now, you may be the target for conversion, but such missionary activity is certainly not the primary province of Mormons and is not discrimination.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.