1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chaos shall flow...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dengo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG] According to Alaundo's prophecies children of Bhaal shall be aligned good and evil but chaos shall flow through them.

Does that mean that <CHARNAME>'s alignment should be CG or CE? Can't she/he be a paladin? If all children of Bhaal shall be CE or CG then why is Imoen NG?

What do you think? :skeptic:

2. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wasn´t it that choas shall follow in their passage or something like that? Hence, this can be interpreted as great changes following from their actions - but needn't influence their alignment.
    :borg:

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, the canon alignment (based on the railroad parts of the games) does seem to be CG, yes. But I don't think it's a matter of limiting them to a chaotic alignment. Some of the most Lawful people I know are that way in a vacuum; the world is chaos around them as they try to reshape it into something a little more structured.
    I would say no. While a paladin's code of honor is RPable in BG1, it's patently impossible in the vanilla BG2. Allying with thieves or vampires? No thanks on both. Some mods add a third way that might make it possible, but it's still a bit of a stretch with everything else going on.
    One simple explanation is that she wasn't affected by her taint when growing up. It was completely suppressed by her uber-cheery personality, as you learn in the sequel. And then there's Lawful people actively fighting against it, as mentioned above. That the chaos flows through them doesn't mean they'll welcome it.

4. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    My personal opinion is that, all bhaalspawn are chaotic simply by blood and what they are, however it does not affect their alignment. A well-meaning LG bhaalspawn creates chaos whether she likes it or not, but that doesn't effect her core values and morales.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As has been said, the chaos they bring does not mean that they intended to cause it- they may well be trying to bring about order but fate continually intervenes.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The other thing is Bhaal himself wasn't chaotic. His alignment was neutral evil. So I don't think it necessitates that the PC be chaotic at all.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This is from memory as I don't have the game installed atm:

The Lord of Murder shall perish
    In his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
    Chaos shall be sown in their passage
    So sayeth the wise Alaundo

I take it to mean trouble will follow all of Bhaal's children, reguardless of their alignment and/or inclinations towards evil/good/law/chaos/neutrality.

8. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Thanks everyone for replies.

kuemper wrote:

I already know that from chanters. I always listen to them in Candlekeep when i start a new game. I like them singing it. :D What i wrote (They will be aligned good & evil but chaos shall flow through them) was from a scroll in Candlekeep. It's in the first level or 2nd.

After some thinking i agreed with everyone who replied. Well, that means i can play with a LG Paladin next time i start (i've finished with a solo CN thief recently) who will try to bring order but will be dragged to the middle of chaos. ;)

I agree with Felinoid that Paladins can not be played properly in BG2. There is another problem for me too: I don't understand how can a paladin have a thief in her party. She wouldn't let a thief or bard pickpocket something from people. (though in IWD2 you can be a Paladin/Rogue multiclass but it's another story)

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Terminology in Baldur's Gate can be a little confusing. Thief simply means they have the thief skills. From a role playing aspect this imo can be either that they are thieves or have simply learned the skills for adventuring purposes. Pickpocketing has never been a main skill for me. I frquently play a F/T and the alignment may be CG or NE depending on how I feel. I have never been able to play a Paladin in BG II.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    If you aren't comfortable with having a Thief and a Paladin together, simply do what 3E does and call the Thief a Rogue. Go through the game allowing your Thief to pick locks and disable traps but not backstab, pick pockets or set traps. It would be possible for a Paladin to knowingly travel with a Thief- they may be trying to reform them. Some would, some wouldn't- it depends on the personality of the Paladin involved.

While much of BG2 isn't compatible with strictly playing a Paladin, you can make a reasonable effort (although the shadow thief/vampire decision doesn't really fit in at all). I was trying through recently, but got sick of Saerileth and abandoned that game.

On the other hand, I sometimes find that I prefer the game like this- it lends a darker overtone knowing that while your character may have noble eventual goals, for now they find that the ends must justify the means.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.