1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (LoTR spoilers)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rhythm, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, it's been three days since the movie first opened to the general public. Most of us *should* have seen it, and to those who haven't, go see it.

So what was the best scene? Which part did you dislike the most? Are you going to see this again? Tell us your thoughts.

I'll start.

My favourite scene is where Legolas sticks an arrow into an Uruk-Hai's head and shoots another with the same arrow. All in one motion.

I personally didn't like the fact that they didn't mention why Legolas and Gimli came to Rivendell. They didn't mention Legolas' lineage, nor anything about Gloin and the Lonely Mountain. And the fact that Boromir did not seem to push the Company to go to Minas Tirith is pretty bad as well. Heck, I think he intended to follow the Fellowship right into Mordor. Many things were cut in the final product, and we're all waiting for a director's cut. At least I am.

And the ugly? I can't really find anything ugly about this film, except maybe when Bilbo turned into a Gollum-like creature at one point. And that was only ugly cosmetically.

So what did YOU think?

NOTE: Don't write reviews here, there's already another topic for LoTR reviews. Just what you scene you liked, hated and/or thought ugly.

2. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My favourite scene would probably be the one where Gimli speaks the famous words "Nobody tosses a dwarf!"

I found nothing in the film that I disliked, only a few things they could've done better. They could, for example, have mentioned Boromir's horn and Bill the pony earlier, and told us that Narsil has been reforged, and is now called Anduril. And then I didn't notice any blue light from Glamdring when they fought the orcs... But, these are very minor flaws, and don't really make a difference.
    But I did miss some of the songs, however. Ah well, at least The Road Goes Ever On was in...

Nothing ugly, except the orcs. If they're not ugly, nothing is. ;)

3. gollum Banned

[​IMG] I have to say my favrite scene was also when Gimli said "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" and when he jumps the others pull him by has beard

There was blue light.

No dislikes.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My favourite part was the three hours of awesome fantasy movie which made you hold your breath almost all the time.

There were two things which appeared a bit silly to me:

1. Sauron has forged the ring and he's standing there with a lot of flames around him.

2. Elrond names the party "The fellowship of the ring".

But those two are very small details, and we should not care about them.

5. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

There were a few scenes that I really liked. Gimli's lines were great, and Bilbo's going aggro was just freaky, but there were a few more:

The scene when the elves are standing deathly still watching the charging hoarde, and then all of the sudden they swing upward with their blades in a perfect line- that was just great.

Watching Legolas on rapid-fire 1,2,3 arrows, ooh stab someone with arrow, pull it back shoot someone else with it... so great.

My favorite part had to be when despite arrows jutting from his chest, Boromir is still standing and protecting Frodo. Shear portrayal of courage and valor, and really well done.

Oh, and i thought the casting was damn near perfect.

All in all i had no complaints.

Amon-Ra

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 22, 2001).]

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

He didn't protect Frodo, but Merry and Pippin. It doesn't make it any worse, though. ;)

Yes, Sting glowed blue, but did Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) do that as well?

And one thing to add to the particularly good: Anything featuring Boromir, and especially the last fight and his death.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I really liked the scene when the hobbits hide from the Nazgul among the treeroots, and they can practically feel the horses breath. That scared me when I read the books and it scared med when I saw the movie.

8. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

True, Boromir wasn't defending Frodo, but that's what he died for, and that's what I meant.

Oh and Merry, Pippin, and Sam were all greatly cast. I had anticipatory worries that Elisia Wood would spoil Frodo, but i was pleased.

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 22, 2001).]

9. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I really liked the part where Legolas fired away an arrow straight in the eye(or at least the forehead) of an orch(from a veeery distant place), while chased by the balrog or whatever it's named. That rocked, the whole part where they were down in Moria was great. Superb!

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited December 23, 2001).]

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I loved the battle on weathertop. The wraiths were well done and impressive, Aragorn dual wielding sword and torch was great, just wonderful.

All the casting was good, but I think they absolutely nailed Elrond, Bilbo, and Sam. Sam is done exactly like the book and Elrond, while a bit "harder" than the original, is simply awesome. Nobody is miscast or does a bad job (though doing Galadhriel *right* is beyond anybody, IMHO).

The most controversial decision, subbing Arwen for Glorfindel, was a good thing, IMHO. Arwen, while insignificant in a plot sense, is essential to the characterization of Aragorn. Since they avoided making her some sort of sword maiden (that's Eowyn's role), this change was a great opportunity to bring her into the story without "wasting time".

There simply is no ugly in this movie. The closest thing to a complaint I can manage is that I think the Frodo/Aragorn farewell scene weakens the impact of the fellowhip's dissolution and the voiceover special effects of Galadhriel's temptation with the Ring were more annoying than impressive. So, what's that worth, mayb a .001 star deduction?

I laughed and I cried and I may well see it again tomorrow.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

11. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mmmm, 3 threads already about comments on LOTR. Well, whatever. ;)
    Best scene, The Balrog, I was a bit scary about how they would have made this very old demon, the old Flame of Udun, and they did a more than fantasic job.
    Something I disliked a bit was the way Frodo/Bilbo disappear once they put on the ring. I always imagined them to fade instead of simply vanishing at the spot, but that's the way I interpretated the book.

12. [​IMG] I loved the batle at the begining (cant wait for the 3rd film now!).

The only thing that annoyed me (and i know this is stupid) was when they used the chapter titles as lines, such as;
    Gandalf - "Ahh, a long expected party"
    Gandalf - "Riddles in the dark"

13. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] The little things were cool.

Little things they included:

1. Aragorn shouted, "Elendil!" when jumping on a Uruk-Hai
    2. Peter Jackson cameo :cool:
    3. Legolas walking ON the snow
    4. Racial traits (ie. Elven dexterity, Dwarven constitution)
    5. Merry (or was it Pippin?) shouted "For the Shire!" when 'attacking' Boromir
    6. The Ring whispers to people (ie. I think it said Elessar to Aragorn)
    7. You can catch Gandalf saying "Gwaihir," to the moth

Little things they omitted/ messed up:

1. Sting glowed blue, but irregularly
    2. Glamdring didn't glow at all
    3. Legolas wore boots
    4. I didn't see any orcs with the Uruk-Hai
    5. Gandalf lost his hat and staff at Orthanc but mysteriously had them at Rivendell.
    6. 'Pipe-weed' now called 'weed' :grin:
    7. They didn't mention it was also Frodo's birthday
    8. Gandalf didn't make Bilbo's disappearance 'flashy'

Anything else?

[This message has been edited by Rhythm (edited December 26, 2001).]

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Something else they messed up:
    They seem to have given the Balrog wings in the movie, something he doesn't have in the books.

Other than that the movie was truly superb.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I loved the movie! I must see it again! I got a real buzz from it!

But there were one or two things i would have liked to have seen ...

1)There was no indication of a growing friendship between Gimli and Legolas
    2)The party got to the trolls that were turned to stone when bilbo was there yet there was no mention.

Quick good thing:
    I thought that the effect of Gandalf falling down the pit with the balrog with that musical background was awesome (I got that tingling in the eyes and goose bumps etc.)

I must see it again!

16. The good: LEGOLAS!!!!!!!!! :love:

The bad: The most irritable part in the movie was that running out of Moria. Legolas was *sopposed* to be singing with Haldir met them but in the story it was when Gimli was speaking loudly. AND that Aragorn came forward and knew Haldir's name, which he isn't sopposed to know.

The ugly: Goblin-orcs.

But the movie was really good and I *need* to see it again!!!

17. Deimos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have to say that I was slightly worried when they were making LotR (anyone remember the cartoon version:(). But, it was an absolutely awesome film, almost totally rigid to the book nad the casting was superb. So many things I loved, so little writing space... Just another few minor (very) things that weren't true to the book:

That 'champion Uruk-Hai' with the dreadlocks wasn't in the book, and there is no mention of a leader like that.
    No one defends Boromir, they find him with a load of arrows stuck in his chest (barely alive), surrounded by dead orcs. But who gives a toss anyway? The Uruk-Hai leader helps the story along and Aragorn's 'to the rescue' scene was great!

Also, on a better note, I thought Orlando Bloom was spellbinding as Legolas; having read the book several times I didn't think they could pull off the speed and accuracy he has with the bow but wow was I wrong!
    Draw, aim, kill, draw, aim, kill ad infinitum...
    And the effect when Frodo puts on the ring, and the battle at the start, and the Elves' spinning sword thing at the start etc etc were marvellous too.
    Oh, and both the Balrog and Legolas' two-arrow attack on the Troll: :):):)

Roll on the winged Nazgul & a certain old man's return!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.