1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon for Jaheira?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Grohan, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Grohan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate for first time. My PC is Paladin and I have Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira in my party. I am in chapter 5 and I recently entered BG. The problem is that I haven't found a good weapon for Jaheira (I have done 99% of quests outside BG expect TOTSC quests). She has used club since we left FAI first time! In ranged combat she uses sling +1 what's good enough but her melee abilities are bad. She has two stars in spears, blunt weapons and missile weapons. I've found spear +1 and staff +1 but I haven't found any good clubs (I like clubs because she can use shield with it). So what would be a good weapon for her in this situation?

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

There are no magical clubs in the standard game, but I think there are a few in some mods. A good weapon is the scimitar +2 found at the top of Durlags tower but you have to fight a few greater bassilisks to get it though or if you are feeling particularly ambitious, you could always take on Drizzt. But by the looks of it, your pretty screwed for getting another proficiency point before the end of the game so I would just keep her with the sling and let your PC, Minsc and Khalid take care of the melee side of things.

[ August 01, 2006, 11:12: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The only magical club in the BG1 files was removed from the game world; you won't find it anywhere. So your choices are to stick with the two-handers (you can buy a +3 quarterstaff in Ulgoth's Beard) or find a scimitar. I typically pinch one from Drizzt to get a good weapon for the lass, but that +2 on the roof of DT is good if you've already sent the dark-skinned ranger on his way.

4. Grohan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Argh.. I always forget that druids can use scimitars :( They can use scimitar but not ie. long sword. I don't to see any logic on that...

I guess that I have to stick to sling and get that staff from Ulgoth's Beard.

BTW is there any reason why the magic club was removed? And is there any mod that brings it back?

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think I used to give Jaheira the Quarterstaff or Spear +1, since that was pretty much the only magic weapons she could use. Either that, or daggers. Later on in BG, you can get a +2 dagger that behaves like a shortsword. That is, in terms of damage and appearance it's a shortsword, but uses the dagger proficiency.

I didn't think Druids could use Scimitars in non-Tutu BG, since it's part of the Large Swords proficiency, which Druids can't use.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There aren't magical clubs, but there is a +2 staff mace (a quarterstaff you can use one-handed) in Durlag's tower.

Next time, give her prof. points to small sword so she can use the Dagger of Venom.
    Druids can use scimitars. You can't put points in long sword/large sword so they can use it properly.

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Tal has a good point there. I normally keep that for a stealthy type, and give Jaheira that dagger +2 you can keep from a ghoul (Heart of the Golem, perhaps?).

A fighter could do some decent disrupting damage with the Dagger of Venom, especially when fighting armored clerics, whom rogues find hard to hit.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Despite how ridiculously good Jaheira is in melee in BG2, the BG1 version leaves a lot to be desired. With no bonus in either strength or dexterity, she isn't ideally suited for the front lines (and typically the gaunlets of dexterity and gauntlets of ogre power can be put to better use on someone else).

AFAIK, these are the only magical melee weapons available for Jaheira:

Spear +1 (I know you can get one in the Cloakwood mines, but I believe there are others)
    Quarterstaff +1 (various places, Silke in Beregost is probably the earliest available)
    Scimitar +2 (top of DT)
    Drizzit's Scimitar (but only one of them, as her TN alignment restricts the use of the one that provides a +2 bonus to AC)
    Dagger +1 (various places)
    Dagger +2 (from Revenant)
    Dagger of Venom (Thunderhammer Smithy)
    Longtooth (dagger class 1d6+2 from Undercelars, but not available until final chapter)
    Staff Mace (DT lowest level 1d6+3)
    Quarterstaff +3 (Ulgoth's Beard)

IMHO, you're much better off equipping Jaheira with either darts or slings, both of which allow use of a shield, and keep a dagger equipped for emergency melee purposes.

10. Felinoid

Drizzt's scimitars use the Large Sword proficiency, but all the other scimitars (added by the expansion) use Small Sword.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Tal is right. Dagger of Venom is the best weapon Jaheira can use.

Unfortunately, you didn't set her proficiencies up that way.

12. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hey how exactly does staff mace work, is it a staff proficiency wise, but one handed so you can use a shield?

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

yep.

It's +2 also, IIRC.

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The staff mace is the best weapon to give to Jaheira if you don't have Drizzt's scimitars, IMO.

15. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Give Jaheira the Dagger of Venom and the darts of stunning and woundind, add a potion of strength and one of Dexterity now and again and she is one bad Mothertrucker! Sit back and watch bad guys bite the dust!

16. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Drizzt gives you all kinds of experience points, two different +3 scimitars (among the very best melee weapons in all of the BG1 saga), the best armor for fighter/thieves or rangers, and you only lose 5 reputation for killing him if you currently have a reputation of 14.

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Wich one?

18. Felinoid

The Root of the Problem, BLUN10. It's a +1 club, +3 vs. unnatural creatures. Added by the expansion, I believe, since BLUN09 is Kiel's Morningstar, found deep in Durlag's Tower.

19. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The world would be a beter place if Drizzt had never appeared in the game! :almostmad: There is a scimitar+2 'Rhashad's Talon' on top of Durlag's Tower and many good armour options alredy in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.