1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Way "too much to do and not enough time"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have SO MANY things that I want to do, and I wouldn't even have enough time for those things; but there there's homework and frineds and working out and trying take kung-foo and stuff. There is never enough time to do anything that I want to. Please post if you feel the same way.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I used to feel that way...but then I realized that I can do a lot more if I skip out on sleep for a day...possibly two if I have enough Mt. Dew. :coffee: The downside to this is you'll need 15+ hours of sleep afterwards to make up for it....and you still feel like crap the next day. :rolling:

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I know your problem. I have a wakeup at 6:50. It takes 20 minutes to do my morningstuff and leave for work. I'm home at around 17:30. I leave to gym at 18:00 after I've eaten some bread. I get back from there at 20:30. Then I'm supposed to spend freetime (I play Tribes in a Clan) and study. And get some sleep (which for this reason I never get enough). This is my day, 4 days a week. Also, on 2 of those days I have to spend an extra hour on jogging. So where's my time?

At least it has the advantage that you don't have to think. And at least my self-esteem and general feeling of usefulness seems to decrease somewhat when I do something.

4. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

All last week I swore I would go out on my bike and get more exercise but it was a case of too much to do in too little time... :( Bum

5. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Heh, i took my bike out off road on sunday for a 2 hour ride. When i got back my butt killed coz my tyres were hard, my seat is hard, and the route i took was very bumpy.

But, i know what you mean, there is always another item i want to add to my schedule but i never get around to doing it.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I know what you mean. I started learning quenya over the holidays but haven't found enough time to get on with it

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    None of you get any sympathy from me:

Look here.

Not much has changed except that I have no time to check SP during the day since my projects at work are ramping up. I need time to really CLEAN my house, and that probably won't happen until we're ready to move! :(

Here's a partial list of the things I don't have time to do:
    Read, other than light entertainment (no history, science, philosophy, etc)
    Exercise regularly
    Plant and tend a garden
    Decorate my house (hell, I can't even get/keep it truly CLEAN!)
    Do my handicrafts
    Stay in touch with friends
    Shop
    Watch TV/movies

[ March 18, 2003, 11:58: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have to agree with Rallymama you school aged guys are a bunch of softies. Like her I am up by 5:00 AM and have left for work by 6:15. This week I expect that I will end up putting in around 70 hours of work in the office - this does not count lunch or the 15 minute breaks I take to attempt to maintain some level of sanity.

I typically get home by around 7:30 PM and then have to do all of the housework etc. before I go to bed by 11:00 to get up at 5 the next morning.

I will be keeping this up 7 days a week until the end of April when I can finally relax and settle back down to the luxury of working only from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday to Friday.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You have that rythm 7 days a week? I might be a softie, but at least I know what life is. Working 7 days a week I'd commit a suicide taking my boss with me. I'm a human, not a damn machine. I'd call anyone working those hours a plain stupid idiot, if I didn't know that there are actually countries where you're forced to do that kind of work to get the bread you need for living. Oh well, world's a strange place.

10. Ex-Paladine Banned

Here a list:

• Play football
      Play tennis
      Study
      Play PC
      SP
      Go to cinema
    there are too many to list...

Ok Raist what do you want

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Perhaps time is not an actual problem. Maybe you just don't have enough focus. But I suppose having it is not cool anymore, because it means that you have no life, and just work and study all day and night.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

In response to Foradasthar's comments I would point out that

(1) I did mention that I don't keep this up all the time. I am in a very seasonal business and as a result I have to put in crazy hours during March and April but come July-November I have it relatively easy compared to most people in the North American full time job market. While I typically put in around 315 hours of overtime between January and April I normally only have around 100 for the rest of the year.

(2) working 70 hours/weeks is really not that bad. I still find the time to spend a couple hours a day for leisure. Also, it is amazing how much free time it seems like you have after you scale back to working 45 hours a week after having worked 60-70 hours a week for a couple of months.

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't have enuff time to do stuff either. Life sucks.

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

Okay, i'd personally say that 70hours a week is a tad much, seasonal business or not. But then i guess if you don't have to commute too far, then that extra time is time that most other people spend commuting. But if you have to commute for an hour or so aswell, i'd be seriously narked.

[OPINIONATED BIT]
    Personally, i don't agree with most overtime. The odd bit here and there, maybe. But constantly is a different story. If there aren't enough staff to do the agreed work in the time allowed without going into overtime, then either employ more staff or take on less work. That's just my personal opinion.
    [/OPINIONATED BIT]

15. Charlie Gems: 14/31

For the younger set, time management is often the answer. Do homework during breaks or before going home. Start essays, projects and the like the day given to you so there's no need to cram the night before the deadline. This comes from personal experience.

16. Ralgnar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Problems with lack of time usually stem one of three things, poor planning, bad traffic, trying to do too much, or an obsession with computer games...Hmm, probably should have just said the last one. :lol:

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well IoD, in my case I do have a fair commute that goes on top of the 70 hours. It normally takes me 3/4 hour to get to work and an hour to get home.

As for

That is all fine and good but in the case of my profession not very practical. It just isn't practical to have highly skilled labour sitting idle during non-peak times. Given that the entire industry is this busy in March and April that would mean that if we had enough people to work normal work weeks during March and April we would all be bored silly for the rest of the year when we had nothing to do for half of our time.

It is hard enough to find qualified people to fill full time positions, it would be virtually impossible to hire such people for a two month period. I am constantly bombarded by headhunters who are trying to fill jobs with other firms.

Sure we hire extra low level staff to do as much as possible but there are certain things that require a full professional with knowledge of the specifics of the client in question.

18. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

List of things I have to do
    football 5 times a week, 4:30-7:30
    Basketball 3 days a week 2:30-3:30
    homework
    school: get up at 5:30- get home at 2:15
    Clean my room(usuall takes an hour) :bang:

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Lessee

Mods
    Experiments
    Homework
    School
    Games
    Friends
    Eating
    Sleeping
    Hospital
    Music

Days are like

Monday to Friday:
    School = 8:30-4:00
    Have to stay at a friends house until 6:00
    Get home,
    Meet up with friend on the internet, check homework situation, SP: 7:00
    Eat and do other things - : 8:30
    Homework - : 9:30
    Take a break, deal with stuff online and what ever: 10:00
    Come off net and SP
    Bedtime

Weekends
    If at home
    Saturday and Sunday are spent on the internet on SP and everything
    Doing homework
    Working on my Mods and experiments
    Building Chirofen, dictionaries, history and all

If at my Omis'
    Evading grandfather, young cousins who are never quiet, (I like my quiet, and music, can't do any at weekends :flaming)
    Can't do much because grandparents are usually hovering and watching

I don't find enough time

Especially as whenever I try to get on with something SOMEONE always interupts and goes on telling me I have to do homework whether I've DONE it DOING it or haven't got ANY.

GARGH!

20. Alustriel a.k.a. Ashley Banned

Ussta draa cents.

6:30 - wake up
    6:45 - get dressed
    7:00 - eat breakfast
    7:20 - leave for school
    8:00 to 11:15 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd period
    11:20 - if library's closed: Eat lunch
    if library's open: go to SP
    12:00 to 3:00 - 5th, 6th, and 7th
    3:05 - chill out at SP
    5:00ish - go home, watch TV
    6 or 7 - eat dinner
    7:15 - boredom
    9:45 - write entries (in Drow) in journal before going to bed

Typical day.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.