1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok the Anticlimactic

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by ianjameselliott, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ianjameselliott Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've gone through all of BG1 quite a few times but for one reason or another - such as computer crashes, save game problems, theft, forgetting to transfer save games from computer to computer etc, etc - I never actually got round to completing the end battle with Sarevok. I had actually been to the Undercity three separate times but each time, much to my annoyance, the gods saw fit to shat upon me from a great height.
    This time, however, there was to be no mistakes, and a brand new mega-computer with the latest Athlon processor and a graphics card that cost more than my car got me nicely to the ruckus with Sarevok.
    It was with trepidation that I picked off the Doom Guards and then inched my way up the room. It was with anticipation that I beefed up my party - a straight fighter as my own character, plus Kagain, Kivan, Ajantis, Branwen and Imoen - on potions of speed and cloud and storm giant potions and then tossed in a load of prayers and the Power of One just for good measure.
    It was with fear that I made that last step into Sarevok's domain and watched in awe as he - a fearful and awesome sight - came running after me like a whippet with an arse full of dynamite.
    And it was with utter shock and dismay - and a distinct lack of pride - that I managed to mow my way through Samej, Angelo and the big man himself in a matter of moments without the loss of a single character - yep, even little Imoen, with her plastic bin-liner armour made it through with barely a scratch.
    I was convinced that it somehow knocked the difficulty down onto geriatric level but, much to my surprise, I actually had the difficulty as far up as it could go.
    Now, I would like to be able to pride myself on great tactics - such as having three characters fire off two arrows of detonation each into the evil throng and then having what looked like a million and one skeletons and war-dogs pile into them while I at first finished the minnions off with arrows before turning the cold steel of sword and mace onto Sarevok himself - but I think that I might have just been a little bit lucky.
    I must admit that whatever the reason for my success, I did feel a little cheated by the end of the game. Now, before you go accusing me of being some kind of BG-hater, it should be noted that I am a complete fan and addict of the game, and of BG2 and IWD1 and IWD2, and have played virtually no other game apart from Championship Manager in the past three years - I just feel that after such a monumental build up a couple of growls from Sarevok and then a whimper as I kicked his backside seems a little bit of an anti-climax.
    What does anybody out there think?
    Has the same happened to you?

Cheers,
    Ian

Dranalis DeAealth likes this.
  2. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    I, myself, had rough time surviving the final battle every time. I just can't understand you people. :)

3. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i think sarevok is stupidly difficult, but not anticlimactic in the least. In fact, I like the final battle...maybe more so if it weren't so challenging.
    Cheers,
    Ian

4. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The game isnt geared at an experienced player... Plus I have to say you were powergaming. First time around Sarevok would have made a completely different impression on you.

(edit) Interestingly enough, after posting this I found shaitan's post in TOB forum about impoved battles BG1tutu mod. So, if you wish some "climax"?, download that (though u'd have to install tutu first.

5. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I always have some difficulties with final battle because i always solo. But Ducal Palace is harder than final battle.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm a hoarder. I save every item except healing potions and antidotes, so I've got loads and loads of stuff by the end of the game and I use it all on that final battle. As a result, I always rip through them like a flaming sword through tissue paper. Though by that point of the game I'm typically glad for it to be over so I can start again. (I prefer the beginning parts of any game, and it's the story that gets me going to the end of anything I play.)

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ian,

I am only surprised that you did so well in your first attempt. As with any battle in any part of the BG series, it gets progressively easier the more times you do it. The first time I confronted Sarevok, I beat him, but only myself and Dynaheir were left standing at the end of the fight. Now, I routinely defeat him without losing any party members.

I think part of the reason for this is that your tactics become refined. Thinking back to my first play through, the first major error I made was I simply strode boldly forward and activated everything (including several traps). The fact that I was able to retreat and regroup my party near the entrance was the only thing that saved me from having everyone killed in that fight.

It appears to me that you already have your tactics refined to a certain degree, and simply luring some of your oppenent down to deal with separately makes the batte so much easier. Here's something that will make the battle more challenging (it's a stupid tactic, but hey, it will sure as hell be more challenging). Have a character chug a potion of magic blocking, and then run straight ahead and activate everything (doom guards, traps, etc.) like I did on my first ill-fated play through. Pretend your character's alignment is Lawful Stupid. It will certainly make it harder.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I also found the battle with Sarevok a bit too easy first-time through. But back then I shamelessly used the cheesiest tactic probably available.

It's the 'have the front-guy trapped into Otiluke's resilient sphere' -tactic. Boy, was that anti-climactic. Stupid AI of Sarevok made him try to pound that ranger Minsc&Boo into minced ranger, but boo-hoo it didn't work.

After all that trouble and after all his scaryness it came down to shooting arrows at him while he's being just dumb. Luckily this has been corrected later on, at least with IWDII AI's.

9. BustaCaps Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I found Serevok pretty easy to, it took me a couple of try but I got him and now he is so easy.

Basically what I did was lure his guys at me one at a time and deal with them, when it was time for serevok I just used all the monster summon spell and wand I had to keep him busy and just use bows, slings, darts, wands, damaging spells and whatever else that would hurt him at a far distance. It was that simple, but cheesy

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.