1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Misery

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slith, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I'm quite a miserable person. I'm always pissen at something. Right now because my girlfriend just left me :(

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] @Paddy - that's exactly the thing I was trying to say. Thanks.

And here's another one of my "famous" sayings:
    I've got another one but I'll save it for later :grin: .

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Most of the time, there is something miserable about life. Teenage years are particularly difficult for many reasons, primarily lack of experience in dealing with adversity (IMO).
    I was an angry and miserable person for a long time. In the last 5 years, I have really tried to appreciate what I have and enjoy life as much as possible.
    When my brother was murdered 2 years ago, I was forced to develop more coping skills to get me through.
    What works for me is this:
    I strive to recognize the positive aspects of my life and seperate them from the bad. So, most of the time, I am simultaneously happy and sad. The sadness is a load that I have to carry. The joy is what makes me want to continue.

4. Eze Gems: 24/31

I hate my life too. When i get 18(after SIX HOORIBLE YEARS)i will move out and become a full-time goth. Heh.

/walks into the land of A/B SLASH and reads a good ficcie./

PS. If anybody is depressed, dammit, e-mail me!

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    For what reason Ezellohar? We're all depressed here but why should we e-mail you?

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Padeen - BOYS are a pain in the @$$, you may think girls are, girls think that boys are, it works both ways ;) :p

I always listen to music, whatever, nothing can stop me! Muha!

anyway... I'm a bit misog today as at school I was walking down the corridor inbetween lessons and someone yellde out "God she's still on crutches - she doesn't need them" and people kept sniggering at me. the same girl had done it earlier in the day but no-one listened to her because I shouted back that she didn't know the half of it and she should stop being a b**** for once in her life :cry:

Damn annoying

7. Elementus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Like the song sings
    Its all or nothing
    and nothings all I ever get
    Every time I turn it on I burn it up and burn it out

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't think that girls are pain in the @$$. And neither do I think that we are. Well at least I'm not :D :p .

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Don't speak too soon :rolleyes:

lol

I know! We are *all* pains in the @$$!
    w00p

on a more serious note...
    Misery is not to be contained within - let it out, but don't let it settle on others, if something upsets you, you have to face it and deal with it - unless you want to get caught in a downward spiral to oblivion (I just like that phrase :D )

10. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

:Life's a Bitch and then you marry one:

The fact is when Brecht said 'Life's a bitch and then you die', he had depression. From what i have read NONE of you have that. you are bored and young and worried about how life is ging to turn out.
    To think your life is pointless proves you are weak. No ones' life is pointless.

Look at it this way.
    None of you are poor. (You have the internet)
    You are literate (Some slightly more than others)
    You have food to eat.
    You have clothes on your back.
    You do not have to walk 10 miles for a vat of dirty water.
    You do not get caged and experimented on.
    You do not face the risk of being shot every day (september 11th references don't count....don't be so melodramatic)
    You do not work from the age of 4 in a sportsware factory for no more than 50p a day.

You are better off than 80% of the world!

Get a life.
    I have.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I feel very miserable right now because of a guy I know who is in hospital. He was in my class at school for three years, and my parents are also friends with his parents. Last night he was out driving his car with his friend and a couple of girls. They were probably driving way too fast, and the ride ended up with a short flight before they hit the trees.

Three of them got away with nothing but broken ribs, knees and a few cuts and bruises, but the guy I mentioned is in coma right now with his whole chest crushed. At the age of 18, his whole life is probably ruined. I don't know if he still can die because of this.

I had to see the scene of the whole thing earlier today. Their car had ploughed through the woods about 15 meters before I could see marks on the trees where they had hit them about a metre and a half above the ground. There was a picture of the car in the newspaper today, and it was a total wreck (they had to cut the four people out of it).

It's just sick and scary.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    @Sir Dargorn
    Hmm... that's a lot of bulls*** but it still doesn't say what's the point on living or the meaning of life. I pay my own internet with my scholarship and my parents barely have enough money to buy food and drink so don't say we're not poor (yea well not even parents can get my money unless they ask me real nice :D ) . I agree though I live a better live that at least 75% of other people. The only reason to live that I have right now is SP. I have another one but that one is a secret.

And 8people I'm not speaking to soon. I have yet to meet a girl for which I can say she's a pain in the @$$ and I also haven't met a girl that can say that I'm a pain in the @$$.

[ September 10, 2002, 22:26: Message edited by: Keneth of the Darkforest ]

13. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I've had depression - still haven't gotten over it either, but that's the least of my worries

ATM I'm worried my legs are going to drop off/dislocate. Or the Men in White Coats will come or I'll wake up with fewer fingers than I went to bed with or that I'm going to be killed

Yes, I am paranoid

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It's no great surprise that most of the people posting here are teenagers. Yes, the teenage years are agonizing (at least until you can get your own car). I was lucky. My parents generally gave me a great deal of freedom with what I decided to spend my time on. They encouraged me to perform my responsibilities first, but never were they forced upon me.

When I started my senior year of high school, I realized that I was not going to be in the same situation in the near future and became determined to enjoy every facet of life.

Yes, life can be disheartening at times, and believe me, I'm no stranger to the misery caused by losing someone very dear to you. The important thing to remember is that life will go on, and eventually the feelings of remorse will fade (though I would be lying if I said they would vanish entirely).

In my experience it causes incredible nostalgia which leads to the sadness. This is especially true whenever I play one of the CDs that I always used to listen to after getting home from dates.

This has been my experience as well, although you'll always meet a few that aren't. Actually, the girl I'm currently with can be quite cruel, but that's because she's in a miserable state as with the others here. Whenever I can get her cheered up, she becomes quite a sweetheart. Don't try to judge girls by the impression you get of them. Oftentimes it's caused by the fact that their life is also messed up.

15. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Lol, Keneth, lol

Well not really but still.....Rotflmao

Heres a life old phiososphie wich defines the human races biggest question!

16. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Dargorn, you just don't get it. Depression is not limited to the poor. The rich have it more than the poor, simply because they have little to strive for. The poor have goals that they can work at, so they might be happier than the rich. Just because we don't have the miseries listed by you, doesn't mean we don't have miseries. A lack of purpose is not impossible for a strong person. Think about it, if a weak person lacks purpose, they don't attempt to gain purpose, whereas a strong person will ask for, and accept, help. This post may help people with depression, just because we know others like us are out there and surviving.

17. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I wanted to recommend an interesting book written by a man who survived Auschwitz.
    It's called "Mans Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl

His experience in the camp led him to discover what is called Logotherapy. He stresses mans freedom to transcend suffering and find meaning to his life regardless of circumstances.

18. Drunken Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ive got heaps of problems but I wont get into detail. Not the typical lifes boring blah blah blah, but ones which concern the health of loved ones, financial, emotional and social hardships, the general direction in which society is heading. As well as what I think is depression (is not confirmed). Some times are worst than others and I read the following which makes me feel better.

'Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself to others you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career however humble: it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself and especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical by love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture the strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars: you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace wih God, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.'

I dont remember the source but it is off a chapel/cathedral wall. Try not to just read right through an be like 'oh yeah...' try to analyse each sentence and apply it to everyday life, I do and it helps tremendously, I use it like a creed of life which I strive to follow to the best of my abilities. I hope it has helped you/ will help you in some way as it has for me.

Peace and love to all.

19. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Well, my misery has deepened as I have become single once more. I know I'll get over it, I know I'm only young, I know I shouldn't take it so seriously, and I KNOW that there are people with a million more problems than me. I know. I've heard it all before. The thing is, it's hard to concentrate on the good things in your life, when the one thing you truly felt happy about, that elevated you to higher areas of happiness, is brutally torn from your life. Especially if it's through your own misdeeds. Misery is a prison, not life. It's just incredibly hard to get out of.

20. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

So little middle-class Methylviolet is sitting in the mental health clinic waiting room yesterday. I had gone there because my utterly broke and jobless state had me down, and I thought I'd benefit from depression therapy -- but having no job, I went to the free clinic. I reflected, as I looked around, that even broke as I am, my problems were probably little enough compared to the other people in the room, let alone the world.

So I resolved to be of use. I listened to a woman who wanted to talk, I complimented somebody on the beauty of her screaming baby, I spoke well of the workers there, saying that they had a hard job and were undoubtedly getting to us as fast as they could. I perceived that my efforts made a happier mood in the mental health clinic waiting room, as people stopped grumbling and started talking to each other.

It was little enough, I grant you. But it made me feel better. And would you believe that, this woman who was pretty obviously deranged, who had had her children taken away by the state, for whom all I had done was listen patiently and share my cigarettes -- overhearing the worker tell me that I would not be able to see a shrink until October, switched my appointment for hers, which was next week, so I wouldn't have to wait.

She, who has sources of misery that made me ashamed, shows that much kindness to a stranger.

Who can say people are uncaring? The human impulse towards helping each other is omnipresent, and the dominant chacteristic of our species. If you let yourself -- some days, you may need to *force* yourself -- try to help others, in whatever little way you can, you'll get it back a thousandfold.

As Purposes for Living go, that's not a bad one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.