1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wasps- Do they have a purpose on this earth?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shell, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Well do they? You have to admit that they're evil. :mad: I mean, bees make honey so that's their purpose, but why are wasps here? They have no use at all :confused:

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What the heck is wrong with wasps?

Use? They make me laugh when they come close to a waspophobe :D

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

White Anglo Saxon Protestants?

I've got nothing against them. Until Kennedy all our presidents were WASP's ;)

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Is this an alley topic? For a second I thought you were discussing WASPS (White Anglo Saxon Protestants)!

In any case, I'm sure they fill an important niche somewhere in the food web.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

They're eaten by spiders, which are in turn eaten by sparrows, which are in turn eaten by cats, which are in turn eaten by zoophagoists.

Read Dracula if you don't get it.

Wasps serve an extraordinarly important role in the food web.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    They do serve an important role in the food chain, but as far as being useful to humans directly, they remind us that even small insects can cause serious pain...I stepped on one last week with a bare foot and I was reminded on how much pain they inflict, not to mention the extra pain from the shot I had to get since I'm serious allergic to them. :rolling:

7. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

wasps, and i mean the insect, suck butt.
    unlike bees, who sting you once and that it, wasps can bite you and bite ect...
    i have citrus trees and the nasty buggars are always around. i was literally attacked by ten or more and i was bitten over fifty times on my back. ouch! i hates 'em.

[ April 17, 2003, 02:35: Message edited by: Greenlion420 ]

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

C'jacob

You have some kick ass spiders, the Wasps around here, as EJSMITH can confirm, (talking about mud-dobbers, the big black and yellow ones) kill spiders, and put them in with their larvae (pupae?) for then to eat as they develop.

They hurt like hell when they sting you!

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, when someone talks about wasps, I usually think first of mud-dobbers and secondly of Britts and 1066 and the whole Norman-Saxon thing.

The main thing that wasps do is hunt other insect larve. Mosquito, fly, june bugs, bag worms. Wasps get to them, before they mature. They are just another check and balance to the animal kingdom, and they are totally necessary. There are other animals and insects that do the same thing, but wasps are like scorpions; they can survive in really harsh climates.

But the general idea is they can surive somewhere else, away from me and my house. I hear Canada is nice this time of the year. =)

They are a little more attracted to dark colored clothing and carbon dioxide, so if you're going to be spraying for them or something, wear light colored clothes.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

EJ, you bastard! Don't send any more bloody wasps up here to the Great White North -- we have enough problems!

I wonder what Wasps taste like? Maybe a new food source in the making? And while I'm making little to no sense, Shell, would you kindly tell us what incident inspired you to start this deep and profound topic?

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Definition of a wasp:
    -A CE being
    -An yellow and black torturer
    -But very useful for keeping up the Earth's balance(I think) :D

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You think that bees make honey is the purpose of their existence because honey in turn benefits you.

Wasps, like any other species in earth, are just another living creatures looking for survival. They don't need to have use to any other species to earn the right of survival. i mean, do you think human is of any beneficial use to any other species out there?

13. Shell

Media:
    Depaara - I hate wasps! :flaming:
    I was hanging out the washing and it just reminded me how much i hate them when I saw one. In fact my nightmare is being on a bus where there is one. Hell.

14. The_Anarkist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] :) Nice shot teekc... :)
    i dont like the things. But i think you hit the nail on the head there.

Just because we're the dominant species on thism planet, doesnt meant that everything has to have some form of advantage to us to make it worthy of survival.

:cool:

15. Shell

Media:
    [​IMG] See, i knew it belonged in the Alley! :flaming:

I actually don't like honey. But some people do, so that is their use to humans. Wasps are just....evil :(

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ekhm... I was certain you were one yourself...

I'm allergic to wasp poison :D

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, it didn't belong there. He made the comment on it while it was still there. I moved it here when I saw it.

That is not to say that the topic would not be suitable for AoDA IF everyone went on a very reflective and meditative answer quest to the purpose of the existence of wasps, which would result in highly intellectual philosophical bickering.

Of course, the likelyhood of that IF would largely depend on the formulation of the initial post in the topic. In this case, it wasn't of the high enough quality to spur such debate, I'm afraid. Therefore it can only be qualified as yet another Whatnots topic. (Though the blame is also on everyone who replied that didn't take the topic seriously.)

[ April 18, 2003, 12:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Er, lapdogs and gerbils? I don't know how long a Chihuahua would last in the wild... I think my cat ate one again last week... ;)

If you're taking the creationist approach that all living creatures, including insects, are created for the use and/or companionship of Man, then I too would wonder what the heck the purpose of wasps are. In addition to making honey, bees are also extremely important as pollinators. Most New World foods such as tomatoes or squash would have evolved as completely different plants without bees. At least I think so, but I'm sure BTA will show up shortly to pour scorn on my lack of genetics knowledge if I'm wrong. ;) But wasps? Yuck. All they do is kill even worse pests, like leaf-eating larvae, by laying eggs in them. And that's just the parasitic wasps. The other kind seems to exist solely for the purpose of discouraging picnics.

19. The_Anarkist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmmm, a purpose of wasps to humanity. If they HAD to have one, it would be for contrasting purposes. You know the whole pefect world thing.
    Some person argued this about the existance of god i belive, dont ask me for a name. I dont know.

'If there was a perfect world, then everything would not seem perfect, cos there would be no bad to measure it against. Therefore God created a world with things taht arent perfect.'

The meaning of that though, is basically meaning that wasps are meant to be evil little buggers, but wasps make cats seem all the nicer(Just like spatulas make me seem more intelligent).

I personally dont believe in god, and i think that whoever wrote the bible, has ancestors whoa re laughing at the whole world.

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep, they do, whatever it is. Everything has a purpose in this world, even me, though i haven't figured out what it is yet. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.