1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Settlers!!!!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Settlers 2 and 3! Best strategy games ever! :D

Settlers 4 soon... :)

2. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The best strategy games by far are warcraft series, command&conquer series, and age of empires series. Oh, and perhaps the Caesar\Pharoah series. Settlers is a boring childish, cartoonish game, with little real srategy value.

3. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I loved Warcraft, and Age of Empires but I've never even heard of Settlers (and apparantly there's 3 of them?) Have I been under a rock? What kind of strategy game is it?

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I think that WarCraft and AoE are both great RTS series. Caesar is more of a sim then a RTS. It's a good game, I have Caesar III and I like it but I rather play starCraft or Total Annihilation. I've never been a real CnC fan.

5. Wingfoot Guest

the AoE series is good, but thats it for me when it comes to Strategy games. i didn't like Starcraft all to much and havent bothered to play any of the others. i have never heard of The Settlers.

anybody play the AoE2 expansion. just wondering if its worth picking up.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Wingfoot, you don't know what you're missing. The expansion, although not all that wonderful is worth it. I forgot to mention Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper, and any Sid Meier game.

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I always like RTS games better than turn based but there are some good TB as well. I also like the Civ games. Each one's a little better but overall I find they all the same. Another great TB game is Xcom.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Starcraft, Warcraft, Red Alert, AoKings, Dungeon Keeper and all Sid Meier games (especially Colonization! anybody play it) are all great games.

But The Settlers beats them in graphics, way of playing and everything! The Settlers is always a head in front when it comes to this.

9. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Mollusken? Settlrs is one bad game(s).
    The settlers is just cartoonish buildings, and blocky clay-like characters, with a game engine. Frankly its a disgrace and an abomination. Probably why settlers was never praised by any top game designers or magazines. It was deemed acceptable, not above average, and certainly not as good as you say they are.

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Let me start by saying I've never played Settlers, more than that I never heard of it before this conversation. So I went to see what I could find out about it. FiringSquard did not have a review, but gameSpot did. Settlers III received a score of 6.0 out of 10. The review used phrases like crude interface, blocky characters and (this was my favorite) combat sounds like silverware being thrown into a dishwasher.
    Now I never played the game, and I like some games that are not that good. Some games have a personal connection to people. You like them even though they are only OK or even bad, but still fun. So I'm not going to say anything bad about Settlers III but in my opinion and in the opinion of Gamespot and many other game review sites, AoE, StarCraft, WarCraft, and Total Annihilation are rated much higher as RTS games go.
    Again I will never put down what someone else likes. But I have an opinion too. Enjoy your game!

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited September 19, 2000).]

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

But the graphics are just so SWEEEEET!!

12. hooligan_inc Guest

Yes indeeeedy, Settlers is pretty damn good. But not as good as championship manager 99/00

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

The graphics look like sloppy molds of clay, the buildings are all right, but not "sweeet". If you want awesome graphics check out AoE 2, and if you have a powerhouse of a computer you could check out Dark Reign 2.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

"Clay figures" my ASS! (sorry about the language).

And it's a very stabile LAN game too. AoE2 isn't that. Plus the graphics are way more detailed. :p

15. Mox Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] got to play settlers too! hehe cute.played settlers 2 and 3, not too good when compared to other strategy games, but was fun tho.(in my opinion) starcraft kiks ass too, like a lot.dark reign 2 is also good, as well as both AoE's. did anybody play disciples? was a nyc game too. also every civ game, and alpha centauri.
    Hey, i played colonization too and i liked it! haha

mox

16. L'Israe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Settlers?? The one with little guys walking along roads, building houses and sawmills and stuff? It's not thaaaat bad, but I wouldn't call it a strategy game because:
    >there's no money involved...you can build limitless quantities of anything
    >combat is just tooooooo easy
    >resources are everywhere...you don't have to work for anything

If you're looking for a real game, try Pharaoh, Warcraft of Ceasar.

17. someonebored Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Master of Orion 2. If you don't have the classic already go out and buy it. It's pretty old but it's the 2nd best game I've ever played.

18. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I agree Masters of Orien 2 is a great game. So if it's your second favorite, what is your favorite?

19. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hey Fat Egg!!!

WHAT IS YOUR STINKING PROBLEM?!

I mean, I hate to insult you, but why do you have to be such an hypocritical dipsh*t? You got "oh so righteously furious" when anyone dared to say that Khalid was a terrible charcter in BG several weeks ago, but now, you can say whatever the hell you want and get away with it???

Settlers is an amazing game. The graphics are supposed to be blocky, and the sound is supposed to be strange. Wanna know why? Because it's supposed to appeal to all ages! It's supposed to be one of those educational games that's fun at the same time. I'll bet it's got just as many buildings and characters as Starcraft (I've beaten both games) and you have to have a good economy in Settlers. Comparing Starcraft and Settlers is like comparing Diablo and BG! One's more hack-and-slash.

You got any other brain farts Egg?

20. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Sapiryl, I believe you're getting Fat Egg syndrome (???,!!!). Now, that that is settled, why in the bloody, bloody, bloody hell do people continually piss me off!? (my little salute to Loxley from fallout 1) I like khalid a lot and hate settlers a lot, if someone said AD&D sucked wouldn't you be pissed? Well I'm pissed, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm merely expressing mine differently from others, I have my rights to free speech don't I?! If you got a problem with that too bad! At least I'm nice enough to call you a dipshit! And why the hell would any person with functioning gray matter want to create a game with crappy graphics and some seriously shitty sounds. Not to mention that it was so easy (and so non-strategic) that I beat them all in a total of about 7 1\2 hours (that includes a 20 minute coffee break every game, thats right, it was that boring).

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited October 12, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.