1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pages not loading

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorcerer, are these peeps using Netscape?

It is the worst for tables within tables within tables as if one table isn't properly closed with a /td or /table end, everything after that part won't load.

IE of course is the best solution to fixing this problem. Netscape is a peice of crap. Or, you could go through the code and make sure each table is closed.

I had this problem at work. I had to make a PDF finding list in HTML, made it with embedded tables. Looked great in IE, no problems. Loaded up Netscape and noticed that all PDF forms from like 69.c were missing. Checked the code and I had forgotten to close /table a table within an already existing table.

It sounds like the same problem.

Syl...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Naw, I use Explorer, and it doesn't always happen. Just every once in a while Explorer will say 'Done' and all I have is a black screen. If I wait for it, it'll eventually come up, usually not long, but I remember one day was horrible for a while...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nope, as I said, it's a problem with the ad scipts.
    It only started happening like 5 days ago or so... They're messing with the scripts at eU. (our host).

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

So do a global replace on all your HTML files and remove the ads. They don't produce anything anyhow except for lag.

Syl...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Man you're making me have to explain things to you as if you were a 5 year old.

I can't just remove the ads, doh. They're imposed on me by the host that keeps the whole site and these boards online. Oh sure, I'll just remove the ads and they'll delete me off the server.

Any more brilliant ideas? Heh.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

As if they come here to check that you are running their stupid advertisements.

Best bet and solution - go indy. Keep all your content with no strings attached to some provider pushing things you don't want.

Syl...

7. Myrthos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yes that is the best solution. As head of the complaining department I think Sylvus would be glad to come up with the $200-$300 a month to pay for it :).

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

$200-$300 a month is nothing in todays growing ecconomy. Spare no exspense for yourself is my motto.

Syl...

9. Myrthos Gems: 2/31

Spoken like a man with a job!

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Oooh, do I hear chink of gold pieces here? Syl, would you be willing to invest those $300 dollars a month in a site with much prospect in the future. It's the really cool CRPG site covering all of the Bioware/Black Isle (a)d&d games.
    They've even got this cool guy doing exclusive solutions. Too bad he only does em when he feels like it.
    Oh well... :)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 09, 2001).]

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

12. Myrthos Gems: 2/31

Lol, lol ,lol :)

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

LOL...my sides...urgh...

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Nice page! When's it opening?

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I'm working as quickly as I can to have it open to the public sometime in Feb 2001.

Syl...

16. Myrthos Gems: 2/31

So that's why you didn't finish the walkthrough!

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

SYL!!!!
    WHAT ABOUT THE WALKTHROUGH!!??
    LOL

18. Lo Guest

Dunno if this will help or maybe u can help me. I'm having trouble loading some of the pages on your site and have been for as long as I have been coming here (about two weeks :))
    I put the link to BG2 related stuff in my favorites http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index.php , but it takes ages to load, just empty black screen to be seen, and I usually run out of patience or forget about that window all together :( However the main page http://www.sorcerers.net loads just fine. From there I'm usually able to access all the other parts of the site, but today it seems only forums are loading.
    I really like your site, O Enlightened, so please advice on the better way to access it :)
    Syl, there are so many good ways to spend $200-300 a month in this world, esp considering most people in the world actually earn less but can still create great web pages.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  19. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I don't pay $300 a month first of all and better things? What can be better than doing what you want? If I want to spend $300 a month for web hosting a site, then obviously that money is being well spent because I want to do it.

Bummer you're having problems loading the site. I've never run into any such problem but as I read it, many others have. I think Sorcerer is looking into getting this fixed. I use IE 5.5 here and IE 5.0 at home and have yet to experience anything you speak of.

As Sorcerer has said, it might be the banner ads and you know my stand on banner ads. If it's not related to the site content, nuke 'em. If you can't nuke 'em, get your own host and domain name and control your own content and site.

Thankfully Sorcerer's Place doesn't have pop-up adverts yet when the main page loads.

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited January 11, 2001).]

20. Lo Guest

I'm using IE 5.5 myself, I was actually thinking of trying it out in Opera or Netscape :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.