1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Best NPCs

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by The Fat Egg, Jul 22, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Vermillion, who are you refering your last reponse to? Oh, and as for you Khalid goes along with Jaheira!!!!!

2. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I hate Garrick!!!!!

3. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

It was reffering to anyone who thinks Khalid isn't an annoying whining waste of a perfectly good party space who will wander off and get himself killed 9 times out of 10 when in a dungeon and 6 times out of 10 in the wilderness.

4. Jarron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Khalid and Jaheira can be split up very easily as can Minsc and Dyanheir and Xzar and Montaron. All you have to do is send the character you no longer want into a building by themself. Make sure its one you never plan on going in again (like one of the many in Beregost). Then dismiss that character. The other character doesn't seem to mind. I've done it several times. The only problem comes in if you back to that room without the second half. Then you get to meet Biff the understudy (try it and you'll see what I mean).

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Or you can send the unwanted NPC on a suicide mission and get him\her killed.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Only if he has no armor, is on level 2, and a dagger for a weapon!!!! By the way Vermillion, just use him as an archer and he'll be doing 20-30 damage with the right bow, namely a composite bow+1!!!! 2000+ bucks with an average reputation is how much they cost!!!! Not to shabby!!!!! And if you want whiny get Imoen!!! "Boring" "I'm feeling a little sleepy (yawn)", and don't forget she's still a teenager!!!! Oh, and she snoops at Gorion's letters in Candlekeep, and she calls your character a rumduke!!! Now that is annoying!!! She whines more than Xan!!!!! And she has the most high-pitch, annoying voice!!! Although a good NPC she is certainly more annoying than Khalid!!!!!!

7. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Enough Imoen trashing!!!! Anyone with any sense would use her. Case closed. :D Although Khalid can be good with the gauntlets of Ogre Power, it takes too long to find them and when they are found I find it better to put them on Yeslick. Yes, Yeslick. Remember him? Probably not. In my opinion he is an excellent NPC that most people seem to have forgotten. As the only Cleric/Fighter in the game (correct me if I'm wrong) it would be foolish to forget him. With gauntlets of Ogre Power he kicks ass, plus you don't have to wait forever because you are close to being in Baldur's Gate when you pick up Yeslick. Don't waste the gauntlets on making Mr.Whinny Khalid into a good fighter. Khalid... I spit in disgust at the sound of his name. :p

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Yesssssssssssssssslick.... the name says it all.

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited July 26, 2000).]

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Fat egg, if you want an archer, use someone with a high dex, it improves chances of hitting thing's and bows get no strengh bonus and in AD&D only get to about 8 points of damage non-magicaly and even magic I can't work out how 30 odd points of damage is being done. I would like to know though.
    And fighters are there to be used as shields for the more fragile party members, and to hack things into little bits. A strength of 15 rarely accomplishes this.
    Oh, very witty comment that "yawn i'm sleepy". Got to remember that one.
    And you don't find Khalid's character sounds annoying?!? You must play with the sound off then...
    And what difference does an NPC's age make, the main character's only 16ish too!!

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited July 26, 2000).]

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Yes Yeslick rocks!!!! I'm not thrashing Imoen, She is a good NPC and I've said that several times. Perhaps you should stop thrashing Khalid about him being annoying!!!!!! And once again, Kivan is a better archer than Khalid, I've mentioned that a lot!!!!! Khalid can be switched in combat, in a situstion where he's not doing enough close range damage switch to a bow!!!!! Has anyone ever tried that, hhmmm??

11. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Your character is 20!!!!! And that comment was not ment to be witty, it's and I quote, exactly what she says!!!!! Before you write something you should get your story straight!!! And you're right thirty is fairly steep, I was using it to prove a point!!!!! Once again, I'm sorry if some people feel I'm to extreme about Imoen being annoying, I'll be more suttle!!!! Fine, now is that good enough for you???!!!!!!

12. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] If the NPC "bashing" stops, subtle or no, then yep, good enough.
    And yes switching between melee and ranged combat is a good idea sometimes, but with only a strength of 15, and not a lot of damage from a bow Khalid's got to be doing something special to be on par with other fighters....
    Oh, I'm sure the age of the main character is around Imoens....

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited July 27, 2000).]

13. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] Ajanis (sp?) has worse lines than Immoen. They are soooooooo corny.
    "Helm...give me strength!"
    "My honour is my life!"
    "Yeh!"

What a moron. But he is a good Paladin, so I like to keep him.

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Paladins are a little messed up in the head (AD&D prejudice there from an old character),
    they HAVE to say stuff like that, I think it's to ease thier consience about chopping things up into tiny little peices

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I cannot believe that you do not find Khalid annoying! "Better part of valour! Better part of valour!" :rolleyes: THAT'S when I dropped him. Xan was too depressing, "We're all doomed." I dropped him too. Imoen is actually one of my favorite characters. Yeah, she gets on my nerves, but (if you actually play your characters role!) you've been friends for a long time, and SHOULD use her.

16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Who cares about friendship in a computer game???

17. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Precisely my thought. I don't feel obligated to use an NPC because according to plot lines they are "friends." If I stuck to plot lines, then the game wouldn't be as good.

18. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Again, we agree, eerie isn't it???

19. verajak Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The five best npc's would have to be:
    Imoen
    Xan
    kivan
    coran
    and then either yeslick or viconia

:cool:

20. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

My new roster is:

Alora
    Edwin Substitute Perhaps Xzar
    Coran
    Khalid
    Xan

:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.