1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Learning different languages

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Oblate, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] diarama/bonjour/god dag/hi/hallo
    I'm german. I have to talk a lot of french though i'm not really able to. I have to write and read here a lot of english, though i'm not really able to. ;)
    I'm trying to learn fulla which is an african language from Guinea, because i have a guinean ward.
    The languages circle in my head. Has anyone similar problems?
    Is there anybody on this forum talking fulla?
    Does anyone know where i can get a dictionary fulla/french?
    :hmm:

2. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, I can't say I am having the same problems. I have finished my language education this year after giving my exams for ZMP in German and FCE in English.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have to learn German anf French along with English. I also would like to learn Spanish for my friend who is moving to spain. In my Greanch and German exams I got a few questions wrong by answering in the opposite language

4. Well, my base language is english, but I'm in the french immersion(early) program for school, and I can understand vietnamese(my second language), but I can read or write it, and I can say a few, clipped phrases in vietnamese.

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am Russian, and I can speak English and French. I also plan to start learning German when I get some more free time.

Form my experience - the more languages you know, the easier it goes. So my advice would be to first learn one lang to a certain level and tne start to learn another, It is easier than lerning two at a time.

6. Eze&Sharkie Guest

[​IMG] I am Estonian and I speak English, Finnish, French and very badly Russian. But i hate it.

7. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I am Romanian i know : Romanian :) , French , Latin ,Bit of German. That's all
    I can say more then good day in anyway.

8. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Argh! These exams are horrible!
    So far, last week I had exams in:
    - Swedish (my native language)
    - English (where I live)
    - French ('1st' language)
    - German ('2nd' language)
    - Spanish ('extra' language)
    - Russian (to be taken up next year at college).

This is not fun I tell you!
    Hehe, my mum wanted me to become an EU minister, heheheh.:p

9. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Shadow Goddess: vietnamese that's really cool.
    Gopher: I'll vote for you.
    Seems like everyones talking russian. I'm just able to say (not to write) Ja ne pa ne maju. Which should mean "i don't understand". Tried it on a russian patient when i was a nurse. It was very funny, he was just shaking his had quoting "ne pane maju" several times while walking away. :roll:
    I can read and write norsk and svensk too, and sometimes it's really useful. But it's more universal scandinavian.
    But fulla is a difficult language.
    For example: yesterday i said "I'm money" instead of "I'm tired". :p
    But i like my little guinean boys laughing, so it's okay.
    My life would be easier if i wasn't that fond of foreign languages, though i'm really not gifted with (?) talking different languages. In germany you have to talk other languages perfect otherwise you shouldn't tell anyone.
    But on tuesdays i say everything in three languages at a time. And with arms and legs too. Sometimes my ward doesn't know the correct word in fulla also, because you have three words for the same thing. For example: later means onsai or ontuma or jesokade or tumaburidoseda. And i don't know how to write this stuff because my ward doesn't know also.
    After fulla albanian will be my next project. So beware. :grin:
    And i forgot Oldicelandic. In Iceland i wasn't even able to order a mineralwater with: jeg aetla ad fa en vatn (trying the correct noseblow). They just looked as if i was silly so i spoke english later on.

10. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I can't say I'm suffering from any language problem. Je parle français, I speak english, Si habla español, Si parla italiano. My first language is french, but I am almost perfect in written english, and almost perfect in spoken enlgish. The latter two, I am not that profiencent with. I can still make converse (sort of). However, my point is that the occidental languages aren't really that different from each other. They fall into two categories. The languages that derive from latin : italian, french, spanish, etc...
    Then there are those that come from grec : English, german, etc....
    Once you master one from both categories, the languages are then a *lot* easier to remember. I have never taken any class whatso ever in italian, and yet, just because I speak french, I was able to maintain a conversation! This applies only to occidental languages. So madarin, japanese, etc... are other things entierly!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.