1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How important are mages?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by LowboDyiss, Apr 7, 2001.

1. LowboDyiss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My party consits of Khalid, Jaheira, Yeslick, Coran, Imoen and (of course) myself (Fighter/Cleric). I use Imoen and Coran as archers (i only use magical arrows by now), Khalid, Yeslick and myself for melle combat and Jaheira mostly for healing (though she tries to fight a little, too..*g*) As you see I have no mages in my party and until now (chapter 6) it has been no problem....will it become one?

Möge euch das Schicksal wohlgesonnen sein

LowboDyiss

2. mortas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I only use mages for offensive spells, but if you have a good fighters then i think it isn't a problem.....

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well in BG1 it's a little bit but not as importants as in BG2 that you have mages to dispel enemies protections. In BG1, maybe it's possible to play without a mage (I doubt it) but in BG2 you simply can't hit some mages without casting breach, secret word and/or pierce magic on them, so when you look in the information, the mage doesn't many enemies, but they help your fighters killing them.

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Mages can certainly help in the final battle, especially if you have been collecting wands (particularly of Fire and Monster Summoning). The monster summoning really helps as you can use the poor summoned monsters as cannon fonder to give your troops a bit of breathing space.

Otherwise, its up to you. I personally would want a mage to increase my options and see more aspects of the game. One time through, I played a mage and I also had Dynaheir & Xan in the group. But I guess the game is possible to finish without one. I am trying a similar thing to you on my latest run-through of BG2 (no mages at all). It is much harder in BG2 because the increased experience levels result in some very powerful spells and spell casting adversaries.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited April 07, 2001).]

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I recommend Edwin as the primary party Mage even though hes evil. Mages in red or the best.

6. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

as for every type of charachter, you don't HAVE to use mages, but it just adds more depth to the game. having mages in your party makes battles more stratigecally fun and challenging, and mages in all are usually interesting charachters.

long live Raistleen.

7. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Mages is BG1 are utterly useless. By the time they get enough spells its late chapter 6, and you don't get a mage until chapter 2. They are just not worth it to have, stick with your fighters until you give BG2 a go.

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

Utterly useless? I whole-heartedly disagree. My party right now is made up of Myself, a Druid, Shar-Teel, and Edwin. Without Edwin we would not get along nearly as well. He can take hits with mirror image, dole out damage with magic missile and acid arrow, summon monsters as an additional distraction, and last, but certainly not least, can haste my party making Shar-Teel an ass-whupping machine with the Light crossbow of Speed and the Longsword +2. There, I've said it.

9. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Personnally i don't like mages in bg1 but in bg2 they KICK ASS!

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The idea of mages in BG being useless is laughable. I can respect anone who doesn't like them or doesn't want to play them, but mages are great in my opinion. In my only full run through BG, I had three mages of somesort in my party. It made things a world easier, as three mages (Myself-fighter/mage, Quayle, Dynheir) have just soooo much firepower. With the multitude of wands, not to mention three mages slamming someone with multiple magic missles or fireballs, mages are my favortite thing about BG.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.