1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Finally, the music

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SC, Nov 19, 2002.

1. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I listen to Placebo when I remember. I absolutely love his voice, and that is probably the main reason I listen to them.

*blush* Thanks. It really is my own satisfaction, I'm really in to music, and I like to know people's opinions.

Btw, someone asked about opera? I would put that into instrumental/choir.
    C-Jakob - It is theatrical, and that's why I hesitated to put it in. I had thought of that, but then, when there *is* singing (I've only heard the Phantom of the Opera), it is usually with some instruments in the backround.

[ November 20, 2002, 00:15: Message edited by: S Goddess ]

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Why would Opera be in instrumental/choir? No instruments are usually played; the music is mostly people singing. And as for the people singing, there is no choir, just some fat lady singing Italian or something. But then again, isn't Opera supposed to be more of a theatrical thing than a musical thing?

3. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I applaud the poll and appologize for everyone else trying to slap you with a "you forgot this..." post. The only qualm I have since I'm a HUGE Marley fan is that it's spelled Reggae not raggae. Alas we are but human and mistakes are forgivable.

Lovely Poll, thank you.

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

For those who like ska (or punk...they're skapunk), check out out Lucky Boys Confusion. It's a Chicago band, but they should be available on any peer-to-peer or, better yet, you can probably find their CD somewhere.

5. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@Sprite and Slappy:
    I don't think kids today consider anything from the 80's or earlier to be "metal". I told my cousin (who was 19 at the time) that Black Sabbath was one of the first heavy metal bands, and his response was "they were not metal, they were rock".

But, as I mentioned in a topic on emo, everyone has their own catagorizations and definitions. My metal may be your hard rock, or vice versa. I don't worry too much about labeling or categorizing things. To me good music is good music, however you classify it.

[ November 20, 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Goths and New Wave (groups like Sisters of Mercy and The Cure) are missing too, but nevermind.
    As for the different opinions of what is metal, I think that (at least in the beggining of '90s)in Europe groups like Maiden, Manowar, Saxon, Helloween etc were considered to be metal, while in USA metal was considered to be groups like Poison, Bon Jovi, Faith No More etc.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

PUNK and nothing else... god i hate pop... it sux... techno and rave and house and so on sux to...

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] One more Hate Hate - Cliff Richard :flaming:

GOD! Is he BAD or What!!!

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Today I was listening to my discman, some baka hops in with the question "Is that Techno, or Trance those are both so COOooOOl"

Were you happy with the free flying lessons I gave you, BOKE?? :evil: :evil:

10. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Definetly metal. I voted for hard rock too (Deep Purple, Guns 'n Roses and stuff).
    Brothers of metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air! :p

11. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I vote for Punk-rock...Also like punk, powermetal, progg and others.

12. Ayla Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I voted for punk rock too, and I saw that there were a lot of rock loving people here :) does this mean that I'm not the only person listening to rock while playing games like BG2 etc. ?

13. Juggalo Gems: 1/31

Hey sniper, my mates kinda know [Spunge]. He sent one of them a get well card, and [Spunge} sent one back saying thanks, then said he could help give out leaflets to advertise [Spunge] and he got a backstage pass and got to meet them. I'm not a big fan myself but its still impresses me. (I'm easily impressed)

14. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

How come it say I don't have permission to vote? This always happens to me. It's a conspearacy I'm telling you.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Where is Alternative listed? How do you categorize singer/songwriters like Tracy Chapman, John Gorka, Shawn Colvin, etc?

Try http://www.wxpn.org for the best alternative radio there is (IMO).

16. Grojlach Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] No indiepop/rock? No noise? Where do I have to put Pavement and Sonic Youth then?

[ November 27, 2002, 12:16: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

17. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I said most, not all music categories.

Besides, nobody I know personally listens to indie music, so I didn't have a single thought about it.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    You mean indiepop as in that weird moviemusic that is played in those weird indian movies, were people started dancing and singing without a cause, tsk..and you americans call us Dutch weird, just because we make cheese with milk..

19. WalachianTyrant Gems: 1/31

Sprite: Black Sabbath is the FOUNDATION of heavy metal. Sabbath were the creators of both the ideology and aesthetic. Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are quite nearly as important. They are,in general considered,the father's of traditional and power metal.

What's more, 'nu-metal' such as Korn, Slipknot, etc. are not metal in the slightest. They may be aesthetically similar to the untrained ear, but their ideological focus' (if one is present) are certainly not in line with those of metal. Heavy metal's main ideological focus lies in the resurrection of the classical ethos and expression of the epic. Most 'nu-metal' is, furthermore, worthless artistically, possessing no artistic focus or meaningful message. I'm willing to elaborate on the ideological development of metal if anyone is interested.

[ November 27, 2002, 23:39: Message edited by: WalachianTyrant ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.