1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can art be made from a scarred memory?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lokken, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] I remember discussing art with my art teacher in school about what it is. We came to the conclusion that art could be almost anything and when I saw this movie I thought it as a work of art.

This movie is based on the WTC tragedy and I'm not looking for a whole new argument of Anti-terror, who had it coming (God I hate that term) and the whole situation of war.
    Just, if you would consider this movie art?
    http://www.dorfchemnitz.de/WorldTradeCenter.swf

NOTE: The movie is very long and might be heavy for most dial-up users.

EDIT: Sorry, typical bummer :)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited October 26, 2001).]

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Err Lokken did you mean to post where the movie is?

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

That was powerful. Moving. Damn. I know that, in one sense, it's playing on people's emotions and it's not perfectly executed. But...

damn.

Someone give me a f!cking rifle and a plane ticket to wherever bin laden is. I'm going to shoot him so he ends up a woman.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I was told once that all something needs to be art is the ability to evoke emotion...Well, I'm all misty eyed.

I am also all fired up again!!! I think we should take a look at that every so often just to remind ourselves what happened, that scarifices that were made, and to strngthen our resolve. (Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox)

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I would consider it art, yes. It does bring up emotions.

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That was almost horrific and beautiful at the same time. Really made you sit back and look. Never mind the media and the hype. Look at the people involved! The people that died!

I am not american, and i jest some times with americans but it is all in fun. No living being on earth deserves such a horrible fate. All we can do is hope and even pray (if you do) is that this will be takin care of swiftly and that no more innocents are killed. Children in both countries are losing parents :(

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited October 27, 2001).]

7. void Guest

[​IMG] I don't pray and I'll admit that I pick on America but really it was awful what Bin Laden did :( . The empire states buildin must be happy though, it;s the tallest again (I think) sorry if it offends anyone-me joking about it.

Cheers, Void.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Thanks Lokken. After all those jokes etc it's good to see again what really happened, and to think about it again. Indeed, don't underestimate the power of prayers. At least I'm sure that this will not be unpunished, even if we never catch Bin Laden.

9. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It was beautiful Lokken! Very strong and moving indeed. Art it is.

But the text at the end gave me the creeps in the wrong way. "A jihad you'll never win" ? Sorry, but that's almost as bad a phrase as Bushs "crusade". Other than that, I'd probably be only beating a long dead horse, so I'll leave it at that.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Have you ever seen a daisy? Yes, a flower?
    THAT is art.

Now imagine how many people won't see it. KILLED people. Who manufactured those weapons anyway?

I haven't seen the movie Lokken posted as I won't use my dial-up for such things. And really, I don't give a shit about it. Art is around you, and it is definetly not based on someone's suffering. But can you feel it?

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Extremist, please. Try not to comment on something you don't know about, by your own admission.

The movie is not the kind of art that invokes peaceful emotions nor an appreciation of beauty. But that does not make it any less art.

I do wish the images moved by a little slower, but that's just me. When I watch it, I think of all the heroism in the days that followed. I think of 200 or so people rushing INTO the WTC as so many people were running away. I think of tireless aid workers in the days that followed, and the lengths they went to just to save one human life. And I cry.

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I must agree I didn't really like the text either, but I was mostly thinking of how it was set up with images and sound

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dear Capstone, I do know what am I talking about. I don't?

Then why don't you kill someone and make artistic pictures of the body?
    Will that be art? yes.
    Will I see it or care about it? no.

14. I must be a shallow person. That video was very boring and the music made it even worse. After it started the second song I closed. Maybe you think it is a piece of art but I don't. Maybe I'm not old enough to understand or maybe it's because I hate USA so much and I'm really sorry for those family and friends that died but I'm just sitting there watching it and I'm not feeling anymore emotional.

15. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hate the US, Shadow_Goddess ? What on earth could invoke such a strong feeling within you ?

Extremist, because a flower's also art something else can't be ? :hmm:

16. Hm... I hate the USA because 90% of the americans I have talked to are stuck up arrogant bastards. And trust me, I know *a lot* of americans living so near the USA.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The best Art is art from people that put their feelings on paper.... The best art is made from a scarred memory I think.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.