1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things I Never Knew ...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Ugh. He's not evil; he even heals you if you ask nicely. He just doesn't like being made to fight against his will. (Would you?) ANYONE you charm will be peeved at you afterwards. Though a charm from a cloak (whether Algernon's or the Nymph cloak) should last ten game hours (one real-time hour or 12 minutes + a rest), so I can't say why he did so before you had cleared the map.

Regarding what he is...he's about as freaky as it gets. He's listed as a 6th level fighter with 36 HP (stats: STR 12, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 16, WIS 11, CHA 8), but his THAC0 reflects a rogue or priest, and the healing spells he's scripted to cast on you indicate priest. Add in 6 Magic Missiles, 7 Fireballs, and a Shadow Door in his memorized spells and the MAGE6 combat script, and you've got one very class-confused NPC. :nuts: He's also utterly immune to fire, which I suppose helps with those Fireballs he's prone to sling if you get him riled.

2. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] :whoa: ... By the white-arms Isis, Felinoid, you tell, ascertain and suspect, in fact, the same things that me !

This guy IS insane. "Freak" is euphemism here, be honest.

— OR even, his abilities show clearly that he is not human-type. :alien:

Interview his creator to know his future projects about him is difficult, but ...
    :idea:
    ... i vote for a never-developped DEMONIC personnality, perhaps an half-blood near-incubus type.
    ( Impossible ? No. Remember Albert, our pragmatic tempered devil and his "dog" ... )
    :hmm:
    I do no believe in a stable good or neutral nature for the Surgeon.
    Too much details are strange and suspicious in his "page" ; think : why all these attack spells, these so numerous Magic Missiles & Fireballs ?! ... ONLY for a good St. Bernard full of cures & good intentions, :angel: in middle of nowhere ???
    ... And his black robes !
    ... And this charm-breaking ! (duration of effective charming : 40 s at best).
    :nono:
    All details are nothing, taken one by one, it's OK. But all together, it is stincking as ... he, let us say, a Stincking Cloud ! :lol:

3. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

From the sounds of it he was scripted in case evil people decided to take him out instead of be nice about it so they made him rather hard. The various things described puts him well into the Neutral range alignment wise even if the guy couldn't decide on a class for the life of him.

Even when you talk to him the conversation choices and words are rather neutral in nature.

As for him becoming uncharmed it could be a script thing. Did you happen to cast any dispel's near him? those will also break a charm spell right quick.

Further possibility thinking is that it's possible that he's scripted to see charming as an attack and thus breaks it so that he can go on the offensive. Much like some of the Mod-maker types in the ToB thread have made certain ones of their NPC's go hostile to spells like friends and stuff.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

To be honest I never had this trouble in the first place! He was always nice enough to heal me after that nasty lil fight in the middle of the map :D

Hehe I was rather concered whether or not he had ties to Daveaorn (which he does as he's the evil mage's brother), but I guess you boys found a nastier truth! Don't make him mad then ey ;)

5. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

Note for Felinoid :
    :hmm:
    — No, it's no fully true that << ANYONE you charm will be peeved at you afterwards >>.
    a) If you charm a blue circle to green statute ;
    b) that you make 2 or 3 steps to the charmed one, (to "take control") but leave him in peace after that ;
    c) then i am (near)-sure that AI key (if in use at this time) is sufficient to make this creature fight for the party, if it "see" that red circles (hostile monsters) are near.
    d) ... and, at end of charm, return to neutral (blue circle) statute.
    • ... To verify ! :)

Reply for Starwalker :
    :cool:
    —Yes, Starwalker, perhaps you are true ; perhaps the great mystery of the foreseen future role of the Surgeon is only a script concealed somewhere.

After all, we know BG1 so well now, that it is easy to take our desires for realities, in a non-conscious effort to find tempting novelty !
    :(
    But i am positive on one FACT : no, i was not throwing a Dispel Magic at any time in that zone. Even with sirens i usually throw (or perhaps Jaheira throw) a more specialized spell to remove their invisibility.
    I have thinked to a "lost arrow" theory (target error by myself, one second), but i dont believe deeply at that.
    :lol: ... Then perhaps we NEVER know !

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yes ... well ... colourfull

7. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If I have it available I use Dispel Magic to get rid of the charming of my own party members and not the invisibility of the Siren's. That's why I thought to ask about it.

8. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Ah ! Okay. I understand, now.

— No, Dispel Magic is a useful spell, but I memorise it less often that the average of my peers in statute, i mean all others magicians.

It is perhaps a slight shame for me, but i think that a mage exist to densify all existing magics in the world, not to dispel them ! :spin:

• In all cases, THAT day, neither me, nor member of my party, had Dispel magic in his memorised spells.
    I never make mistakes on that type of choices ...
    :book: ;)

9. w.d. Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I know this thread hasnt been in use for some time, but I just came across something I never saw before, and didnt want to start a new topic.

In the palace, there's a treasury, and you see a movie when you go down there! - theres nothing useful there, just gold and jewlery, and there's a bunch of it upstairs too!... you can walk out a rich man if you have a good thief
    sorry if this is old news to everyone, but I'v been through the game many times, and I always just let myself be teleported to thief's maze...

in fact, that was the first time I ever bothered to explore the palace, and I have a question, what's in the un-openable cupboard on the wall in the left room right as you walk in. And what's the woman on the second floor for?

lol in I have another question, there's a house in this same district, with a bard butler that atacks you regardless of what you say, (you broke into the house) and on the second floor there's a fighter with the helm of glory and I just always kill em, but are they part of some quest?

.... why the hell do i still not know these things..

10. Felinoid

The unopenable container has a thousand gold and a Cloak of Protection +1. The woman on the second floor seems to be just random, though I think I might detect a bit of "oh, you're using the area transition cheese to escape Sarevok?" subtext in her dialogue. :shake:
    I believe it's called the "Kill Two Uppity Schmucks and Get a Unique Item" quest. ;) No, there's nothing special to it aside from the helm.

11. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I found something kinda cool when I recently exported my conjurer from BG1 and imported him to BG2. I had both rings of wizardry on him when I exported him, so he had 19 1st level spells memorized or something like that. When I imported him to BG2, he no longer had the rings of wizardy on him (of course), yet he can still memorize 19 1st level spells. Definitely handy, that's a lot of magic missiles.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Wow!! So if you imported, say a cleric with that ring that you get off Mulohay, would the same thing happen?

13. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31

hmm i can't say i know for sure but i would assume so. only one way to find out i guess

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Any luck on that yet Synergy..

15. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31

nah sorry been busy and finals are coming up so probably won't be able to for awhile

16. Sebb Gems: 1/31

Hey all!

I've heard that there is supposed to be glitch which makes it possible for you to enter BG before Chapter 5. When you use the exit grind on the Farmlands area, there is a slight chance that you end up on the other side of the bridge allowing you to enter the city.
    I've yet to get this to function. Does anyone here perhaps know if this is possible at all?

17. Felinoid

It looks like the area link from the farmhouse goes to the south end of the bridge. So I'd say no, barring any other evidence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.