1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Football Poll

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Harbourboy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

With all the talk about the Superbowl lately, and because some criticism of American Football has started up, I thought it would interesting to see what sort of "football" fans there are roaming around these boards. Simple question here then. Which form of "football" is YOUR favourite?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Football Poll (54 votes.)

Which form of "football" is your favourite? (Choose 1)
    * American Football - 31% (17)
    * Association Football (Soccer) - 44% (24)
    * Australian Rules Football - 2% (1)
    * Gaelic Football - 0% (0)
    * Rugby League Football - 6% (3)
    * Rugby Union Football - 7% (4)
    * None. The idea of chasing a ball around a paddock is ridiculous. - 9% (5)

2. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I never knew that the Football I like is called Association Football.
    I just call it Football. (actually, I always call it 'Voetbal'...)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think the Europeans would call it 'Football' whereas the rest of the world call it 'Soccer' (which I am told is short for AsSOCiation Football). Isn't that why FIFA stands for Federation Internationale de Football Association?

I think each country refers to its own favourite form of football as simply 'Football'.

4. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I voted American style, simply because I am american. Australian rules is kind of fun to watch but I am bored by soccer to tell truth, except when that one announcer is announcing, he should announce for everything. Could you imagine him on on

golf: Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooolle!
    bowling: Boooooooooooooooooooooowl!
    Voting: Dooooooooooooooooooole!
    sorry enough cheese from me.

5. Harbourboy

Well, soccer has taken an early lead, as expected with all the Europeans up and about. But maybe the Americans, Australians, and New Zealanders aren't all awake yet.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    For me, it's a toss-up - I like to watch most sports but I don't really follow any. I suppose I should say American football simply because that's what I see the most over here.

But to PLAY - that's a whole 'nother story! Soccer definitely rules in that category!

[ February 04, 2004, 19:34: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd prefer soccer, since I dont care much for football/rugby, whether American, Australian or English. Simply because I don't understand/know the rules.

The only interesting thing I saw on telly that had to do with football was 'Remember the Titans'.

8. Harbourboy

'Remember the Titans' was a great movie. Actually American Football lends itself quite nicely to dramatic movies because one spectacular play can decide a game and that play can be portrayed easily and dramatically on the big screen. The timing of the game just seems right for the movies.

Has there ever been a movie about Aussie Rules?

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    What in the hell is Gaelic football? I only know of Gaelic as a language.

10. Harbourboy

Gaelic Football is what they play in Ireland. It is HUGE there. I went to Dublin once and it happened to be the weekend of their equivalent of the Superbowl and the whole place was going off. Everyone was in party mode.

To the untrained eye, it is most similar to Australian Rules football in how it is played (although an Irishman might disagree with me and say it is completely different).

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The only vote so far for Aussie Rules is from a Canadian? :eek:

Oh well, ice hockey is better than all of them anyways. ;)

12. Harbourboy

The Australians will be only just waking up now so that might be why Canada has had to fly the flag for Aussie Rules so far.

13. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Rugby. Hats off to any sport where players risk ending up in a 'blood bin.'

14. Harbourboy

See, here come the Aussies. Surely, only an Australian would have voted for Rugby League.

15. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Rugby! Well, it *is* the only one I can play with any skill... and we *are* world champions...

16. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Aren't the Aussies, I think we've only won the union one.

As someone who likes to watch my football standing on the terraces at the Shay, association is what I'm into. No great fan of any of the others, but it'd be good to see the rugby team who now play at our ground doing well, although last season was record breaking, not that pleasing.

17. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I prefer soccer, even though most people in New Zealand will kill me for saying that. I don't like watching either of those sports on TV or even live, but soccer has to be the funnest to play.

Amarican Football is to complicated for my mind to understand. Galic football, well I've never even tried to understand,a s I've never actully seen it played before. And all those three forms of rugby, well they're rugby. It's so illogical the way they play! And then soccer is just strange.

18. Harbourboy

Soccer?? If there was anyone I thought would be flying the flag for Rugby Union, it would be the New Zealanders . . . .

Maybe England winning the World Cup was too much to bear .. . . I hope not.

19. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

:p Na,I've never been that into Rugby, I just don't understand the rules, or the logic behind it. The stratagies and everything they use make no sense. Only reason I watch it occasionally is because with some people around here it's impossible to talk to with out them drifting onto the subject of rugby. As for myself, I stick to good old field hockey :D

20. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Soccer. Rugby and football are to violent for my fragile 6'4" frame.

Now Hockey on the other hand...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.