1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

One-Way Time Travel

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rallymama, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The whole aspect of time travel has interested me for about 5 years. Or rather not time travel but parrallel (and i still can't spell the word lol) universes which are a large part of time paradox theories. I have my own theories on parallel (still can't spell the word) universes, which it takes me about an hour, and a lot of paper, to explain to two people (one is fine but more than two it's hard to do in an hour). For this reason

"If you're going to assassinate Hitler in a way that no-one will take his place, then indeed everything in the modern world will be just as it is with a few changes, including a lot more jews. " screams at me to say 'NOOOO!' although Foradasthar did say he/she was ignoring the paradoxes it still screams at me. If you kill Hitler it would change everything (however you quite likely wouldn't notice). Since everything you do effects everything else and you end up with soooooooooooo many splitting parallel universes that once you realise that you are responsible for the deaths and lives of everyone you just accept it and ignor it. So if you went back and killed hitler this would be another splitting time (though actually arriving in a past, not the past, would almost certainly split it anyway - for e.g. you arrive and someone comes over to sell you some papers instead of talking to some other guy. This splits it, actually it would be split before that and before that but you go in circles thinking like this). Also travelling to the future makes no sense to me at least.

Ok i know i didnt answer the question but i dont have an answer.

2. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

perhaps I'd like to go and watch Jesus preaching etc. but only if I could come back and live in this present again with the extra knowledge

3. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I dont know how to explain this but. If you have read Michael Chrichton's TIMELINE then he writes about a how every time line is all at once moving and some how it's all connected.

So in thery(spelling, it's late) right at this minute as you read this your being born, WWII is happening, the greatest leaders of this world are all doing what every there were doing years ago and dinosaurs are walking the earth.

Think about that. Even if you could travel back in time you would only change on future of an infinty.

I really do think that time travel is imposable, but traveling into differnt dimisions is posable. But theres still a lot of things we dont know enough of to make a dission.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Morningstar
    You got it.

@Everyone

If you would go to the past to change something or some things that are wrong here, after completing the task you would not know why you are in the past or even be in the past, because you did not have a reason to go into the past. Which means this: The past is in every way unchangable from the future, because changing things in the past requires knowledge that is only existant if the thing is not corrected in the past, so any doing in the past would be undone by own doing, because doing it would be impossible.

It is hard to explain, but it is an action with no consequenses. (Or everything just stops being)
    With no noticeable consequenses anyway.

Taza has caught a massive headache, and he tries go to the class and stop imitating Ezellohar

[ February 21, 2003, 13:37: Message edited by: Taza ]

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

One way tickets suck. But multiple way tickets sound way cool. I'm not going to throw around any theories of time travel. Lets just say that intead of literaly going back in time I was going to a parrallel universe of the exact same time I wanted to go.

I think I would either go to (assuming it existed) Atlantis, around the 1400's or Arthurian times.

6. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I wouldn't go anywhere.

7. Ex-Paladine Banned

I think again. Why I go back or future. I'm happy now. Live on time..

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Came up with a new idea:

I get myself a great arsenal of weapons, warp myself to 1492, and equip the native Americans so that spain and the others wouldn't dare to attack them.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Ivanji: have you read "Pastwatch" by Orson Scott Card?

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

To the days of old, where you could carry a sword in broad daylight, without being looked at like you're some kind of freak. (Yeah I know, open goal for insults. ;) )

11. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] One-way Time Travel is possible! :jawdrop: No knowledge of quantum physics is required: all you need is excessive volumes of alcohol.

(hmm... reminds me of the 'Back to the Future' trilogy, where Doc Brown initially has to use nuclear fuel for the DeLorean, then later discovers that time travel can be powered by garbage...) :shake:

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    What would be really cool is if your body couldn't die until it got back to the date that you went back in time.

If that were the case, I would go back to around 500 AD and live with a group of Asian monks to learn as much martial arts as I possibly could. Then, once I knew Kung Fu, and a bunch of other martial arts, I would move into the unsettled North America and await the future.

Some key things I would do is show up at the Salem Witch Trails, and scare the hell out of the colonists for being so F***ing stupid.

I would make appearances in towns like Boot Hill, Tombstone, and other "rough" old western towns. Wielding two katanas instead of guns, I would help keep order in those towns.

And finally, I would make sure that people knew not to try to keep me from carrying two swords and a dagger where ever I went...I would like to see them try. :rolleyes: :rolling:

13. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ignoring the limitations I would face as a result of my gender...

I would love to be hanging around in Greece during the time of Socrates!!!!

14. Register Gems: 29/31

@Rallymama - No I haven't. How come?

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Ivanji: It's a GREAT novel about exactly what you posted about - people who change history by strengthening the natives prior to the arrival of Columbus. Card is a genius!

16. Register Gems: 29/31

@Rallymama - Will have to get it. Online of course. Any site recommended?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.