1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Harbourboy's Almost Live Oscar Coverage

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Harbourboy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, Beren has requested I stay up long enough to keep everyone up to date with how many awards Lord of the Rings wins. So to keep me awake (it will finish 5am my time here) I will attempt to provide almost up to the minute coverage here of the awards as they happen.

Intro: Pretty funny but I wish they would get on with it. Billy Crystal is a great host, though.

Best Supporting Actor: Goes to Tim Robbins who was brilliant in Mystic River but he just had to make a crazy speech about stopping violence.

Best Art Direction: Goes to The Return of the King. Well deserved again. Alan Lee is a legend.

Best Animated Film: Goes to Finding Nemo. No contest really.

Best Costume Design: Another one for The Return of the King. Let's face it, an unbelievable amount of work went into those costumes.

Best Supporting Actress: Another shoe-in as Renee Zellwegger gets the statue for Cold Mountain. What a long speech - but at least she didn't blubber uncontrollably. Funny moment when she thanked Tom Cruise and the camera zooms in on Nicole Kidman.

Best Live Action Short Film: Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson present the award to Two Soldiers (never heard of it).

Best Animated Short Film: Goes to Harvey Krumpet (what, you never saw it?)

Our joy at seeing Liv Tyler on stage is tempered by the fact that we are now enduring a seemingly endless musical interlude. Get on with it! Oh well, it keeps Liv on stage longer.

Best Visual Effects: A third award for The Return of the King. Looks like they are heading for a scoop of the technical awards. Slith has the temerity to suggest that Pirates could have won!

Now here is a very loud Jim Carrey presenting a lifetime achievement award to Blake Edwards (writer and director of such films as The Pink Panther and Breakfast at Tiffany's).

Best Make-up: The lovely Scarlett Johansson presents a fourth award to The Return of the King. Go the Orcs!

Best Sound: John Travolta presents a fifth award to The Return of the King. We're happy but it will be all for nothing if they don't win the big one. It is very cool to hear all these New Zealand accents!

Best Sound Editing: Doesn't go to Rings but to Master and Commander.

Best Documentary Short: Chernobyl Heart

Best Documentary Feature: The Fog of War Didn't see that coming . . .(see what I did there?).

Best Original Score: Sting and Phil Collins present the award to . . Howard Shore for The Return of the King! That's six. Rallymama likes Sting's tuxedo.

Best Film Editing: Brosnan and Moore (Julianne not Roger) present the award to The Return of the King!! That's seven.

Fantastic rendition of 'A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow' from A Mighty Wind. Rallymama loves Jamie Lee Curtis' necklace.

Best Original Song: Jack Black and Will Ferrell with hilarious spoof song before presenting the award to . . . . 'Into the West' from The Return of the King! That is now eight (and yet more NZ accents).

Best Foreign Language Film: The stunning Charlize Theron (Rally says she has great earrings) presents the award to . . The Barbarian Invasion.

Best Cinematography: Jude Law and Uma Thurman (in a dress that greatly disappoints Rally) present the award to . . shock . . Master and Commander, not The Return of the King!

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Coppolas present the award to, who else, The Return of the King. That is nine (rings for mortal men doomed to die).....

Best Original Screenplay: Tim and Susan look lovely together as the announce the award going to Lost in Translation. Well done, Sofia but Rally wonders how her dress is staying up.

Best Director: Here we have Tom Cruise with a big award, and it goes to . . . . (Deathmage guessed correctly) Peter Jackson for The Return of the King!! About time! You are the man! That is ten.

Best Actress: Adrien Brody steps up and the award goes to . . . . . Charlize Theron for her role in Monster. Rally liked Adrien's joke with the breath-spray and wants Charlize to cry.....but she doesn't (much).

Best Actor: Rallymama rates Nicole Kidman's outfit as better (9/10 even) than her Golden Globes one, so Nicole presents the award to . . . Sean Penn for Mystic River. Johnny Depp was never going to win, so stop complaining, Slith.

Best Picture: The mighty Steven Spielberg strides in to present the BIG ONE to (fingers crossed, everybody) . . . . . The Return of the King!!!! Celebrations all round at #sorcerers! That makes 11 from 11. Fantastic.

I'd like to thank my pals at #sorcerers who hung in there during the ceremony (Vimes/Slith who was there the whole time, Rallymama for her fashion comments, Deathmage for his NZ support, PsychoMeat for showing up at the last minute, and Beren for getting me to do this in the first place). Good night, until next year, see you at the movies...God, it's 5:10am ...zzzzzzzzzzzz...

[ March 01, 2004, 06:14: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    ROTK IS INVINCIBLE
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

11 out of 11 nominatees! Take that! Kiwis rock! Yeah!!!!!!

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Wow. And it has deserved every single one of them! :)

Go LotR Crew!

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Too bad that Titancic got 11 too. LOTR should at least have got one more :)

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What is Titanic? I've heard of ROTK though...

And yeah, Kiwis not only Rock they totally ROXORZ!

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nice post, though I already heard the most important news on the radio when I got up. ;)

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yeah, we rock. We're cool. Can't beat us.
    Then again we couldn't have done it without the funding from the American film company: 'More Money than Brains but more Balls than Money' (too great a risk but were 'so' lucky Jackson was able to pull it off).

I've been to Hobbiton and Climbed Mt. Doom before it even was Mt. Doom and trust me, the name suits it... bloody rocks falling away every step you take :bad:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm, travelling to "Hobbiton" is pretty exciting. Isn't it Matamata? People should travel from all round the world to see that town. ;)

Yep, "Mt Doom" is a cool trip. It's amazing there are any rocks left there, so many fall down when you're there.

Also, many of us will have been to the "Emyn Muil". I think Rotku has a season pass (or is thinking of getting one).

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just a question, has any other film ever been nominated for so many Oscars and won every nomination? I mean, I know films have won more Oscars than RotK did, but has any other film been nominated for more than 3 or 4 and won EVERY one?

10. Harbourboy

Apparently not. It seems to be a unique achievement. I believe Titanic was nominated for 14 and won 11, whereas Ben-Hur was nominated for 12 and won 11.

The Return of the King is the film that was won the most Oscars without winning in any of the acting categories.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What an achievement. Just like they say in the Speights ads, "Good on ya maaaate".

12. Harbourboy

She's a hard road finding the perfect girl, mate.

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Reckon. Still, no hurry aye. We also won the last cricket ODI by the way. It just caps off a really good few days for the Unzudders.

14. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I still think best costume design ought to have gone to the Last Samurai.

Pretty stunning, though...eleven awards and not a single actor nomination. Well done.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I can't believe that I heard on the radio the other day that people actually found it boring that LotR won almost everything! I guess you probably need to have enjoyed the films to appreciate it though.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Have you lived in a cave for the past ten years? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.