1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Songs that have had (or signify) a profound impact on our lives

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Yerril, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] I seem to have "themes" for all of the major events in my life. Just like Kuldahar wouldn't be Kuldahar without that great panpipe theme tune, the important happenings in my life wouldn't be the important happenings in my life without their themes. I'll list mine if you list yours :p .

Why does it always rain on me?, Travis
    - This signifies my awakening to the world of music. A couple of years, me and music were just two completeley separate things. But then I started listening to Travis, this song in particular, and my eyes were opened!

Easthaven in peace, Jeremy Soule
    - Sad, I know, but this was the first piece of classical piece of music I really appreciated.

Roxeanne (Moulin Rouge version), Ewan McGregor
    - This part of the movie absolutely blew me away. It was one of the most amazing pieces of film I have ever seen, and it prompetd me to buy the soundtrack. I copied the soundtrack to my PC, and it was the start of my beloved 200-song songlist!

Concerning Hobbits, Howard Shore
    - I got this free with the Sunday Mirror a coupla weeks before the film first came out, and it hyped me up to proportions I had never thought possible. I was looking forward to LOTR more than any other event ever, and it didn't fail me!

Nature Boy, David Bowie
    - This, I think, is the song that describes me to the letter. It also features my motto for life - "the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."

Man on the Moon, REM
    - This was the theme for the woman that I loved above all others. :( Makes me cry.

Luv, Travis
    - see here

Losing my religion, REM
    - this highlights one of my greatest fears - changing your very nature for the sake of someone you love. I've done it before, and it isn't pretty. I use this song to remind myself to always be me.

By the way, Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    - This was THE song of summer 2002, the summer that contained more happiness and more pain than any other.

This year's love, David Gray
    - My parents played this song when we were on holiday in Wales, which was coincedentally about the time I had an unofficial nervous breakdown. So many things were going wrong, I just went crazy.

Halleluja, Rufus Wainwright
    - This was the song I played when my social life was going to pot in the middle of year 10. A pity, becasue the start of that year was the happiest I have ever been. :)

The great beyond, and This friendly world, both by REM
    - The two songs we sang along to on the coach home from the school trip to Cologne. They represent the most depressing week of my existence. And if I hadn't been pining so much, I would have enjoyed the hell outta that holiday. Damn.

Duel of the fates, John Williams
    - The song that got me into Star Wars, my best friend AND weaponry! Wow!

Your song, Elton John
    - The default romantic song. I have considered singing it to various women over the years. :)

Across the stars, John Williams
    - An incredibly beautiful piece of music, and coincedentally the song I played the biggest number of times in a row. I played it when first I met Her.

God shuffled his feet, Crash Test Dummies
    - This song signifies the happy times in my life, and highlights my often-neglected well o' hope. I am a positive soul at heart, and this is what this song appeals to. Plus its funny as crap. :D

2. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] 'Dancing in the Moonlight' by Toploader. This was the song that was playing when I found out I was pregnant

3. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hallelujiah!! That has to be my all time favourite song. I also love La Butte from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, and pretty much just Rufus Wainwright in general. But Hallelujiah I think best describes how I feel about love right now. That's Why They Call It the Blues by Elton John always makes me cry as well as Someday Out of the Blue (it reminds me of my last boyfriend, so I have a hard time listening to it.) Another good one is Winter, by Tori Amos.

4. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Superman (Not easy to be me), Five For Fighting.

When it seems the whole world is against me, I listen to this song, realize that no one has it easy, and that everyone is in the same boat. Even Superman has his rough days.

The first time I heard it I felt weird. Then I realized something. It feels like ME. It's never been easy to be me. The weird outcast kid with ADD. I think this song describes everyone sometimes...

[ January 02, 2003, 05:37: Message edited by: The Soul Forever Seeking ]

5. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Chad Kroeger-Hero. My FAVORITE song and everytime I hear it, it makes me nearly cry.

Eze bangs her head against the wall

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    System of a Down - Chop Suey, helps me through a few depressive nights

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A great impact eh. Well if there has ever been a music that has had such a great impact on me then I guess they would be:

-Gunm (don't remember the name, but it's the silent sad song which was connected to Gally's relationship with Yugo)

-The Last of the Mohicans

-Aerith's Theme

-The Piano, Michael Nyman plays his best fantasy song here. I'm still idolizing his skills whenever I'm trying to play the song myself.

Surely there are some others. Though my visual and name-memory is bad, I have an excellent auditorial memory. Comes handy in music making and also makes sure I have close to a hunded or more of not-heard-since-a-decade-ago songs in my head which I don't even remember the names of.
    Still, these are the ones that come to my mind quickly, and each of them surely have had as great an effect on me as any music has.

[ January 02, 2003, 15:36: Message edited by: Forashi ]

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A friend of mine got killed in a motoraccident, and at his funeral they played Rod steward's "i am sailing". Every time i hear that song it gets to me again.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have always loved music! I don't know what you mean about its impact, but there are songs that have meaning for me. Here are a bunch, but if given time, I could probably come up with a million more:

Car Wash by Rose Royce - This is the first song I consciously remember hearing. My mom bought me the movie soundtrack on 8-track...I am old.

Eye of the Tiger by Survivor - What? I'm from near Philly and this hit tune from the Rocky always gets me fired up when I hear it!

Star Wars (Main Theme) by John Williams - I am instantly teleported to when I was 8 years old, the first time I saw Star Wars!

Photograph by Def Leppard - Middle School. First kiss. See, I am a romantic at heart!

Bad (Live version) by U2 - Possibly my favorite all time band. There was a radio station in my home town that did a top 5 at 5pm when I was in high school. We would always be coming home from football practice at 5 o'clock. This song was in the top 5 for a year!

Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin - any song about battle is okay in my book! Plus, Zep was heavily influenced by Tolkien...'Nuff Said!

Radar Love by Golden Earring/Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf/Blinded by the Light (Manfred Mann's Earth Band version) - Greatest driving songs ever!

Purple Rain by Prince - It was the second to last slow song played at my high school dances...Just good memories from this one too.

Beastie Boys - The whole Licensed to Ill album. This cd of Alcohol, parties and girls pretty much summed up my senior year in high school.

Welcome to the Jungle G-n-R - Another good high school party tune...and also the Philadelphia Flyers third period power play song!

She Sells Sanctuary by the Cult - The first song I played when I started dj-ing my college fraternity parties.

Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet - Just always loved this song!

Patience by G-n-R - I remember hearing this song the first time I had sex...

My Hero by the Foo Fighters - Great song! It gets me fired up!

Carmina Burama by Karl Orff - If you've heard it...You know why. In a word - Epic!

Walkin' on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves - Sorry, it makes me smile whenever I hear it!

Desperado by the Eagles and It Cuts You Up by Peter Murphy - kinda weird but these songs remind me of Russia. The staff in the dorm where we had breakfast only had two tapes: The Eagles Greatest Hits and a Peter Murphy tape...So whenever I hear them, I think about my trip to Russia...

May this be Love by Jimi Hendrix - it reminds me of a girl I dated.

In the Middle of the Land by Hoodoo Gurus...Love that drum at the beginning!

Groove is in the Heart by Dee-Lite - It reminds me of the bar I worked in at college. Gotta love to get paid to hang out, drink, meet girls, listen to music, and occasionally fight!

The End / Riders on the Storm by the Doors - a little creepy but they are great!

Thriller by Michael Jackson - What do you want from me?!? I am a product of the 80's!

Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan - Sappy 70's song, but I liked it when I was a puppy.

I like cold beverages by G-Love and Special Sauce - A funny song by a cool Philly band!

Right Here, Right Now by Jesus Jones - Mostly because I remember when the wall came down and the world could change in the blink of an eye!

I Alone by Live - this song suits me...I won't go into details...

Peace Train and Wild World by Cat Stevens - it reminds me of a good friend.

Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas - I used to play this on 45 when I was a kid and ran through my house doing kicks! Haiiii-Ya!

Wicked Game by Chris Isaak - another slow song that reminds me of I girl I dated.

Sleep Now in the Fire by Rage Against the Machine - This song just kicks ass! Whenever I need to get motivated...I play it!

Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn - Good bluesy tune.

Well, I could keep going on and on and on, as you can see, I have a wide range of music I enjoy...If I think of more, I'll post them!

10. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Omg... I dont even want to get started on this topic.. Time wont allow me to list them and allso its way too emotion.. But one side of me wants to. ugh its allready time for me leave. I Got to go. Maybe Ill Take my time later tonight to leave a good post.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Moon and Back - By Savage Garden. This was my favourite song, I used to sit on my bed with the radio and wait until they played it again. It was before we moved away because my mother married - we had to literally flee from him though - he was a maniac who sold some of our stuff

Still be free - Savage Garden. When I suffered from deppression I heard this and I felt as if I understood the song - I love it and whenever I'm sad I play it it helps to cheer me up.

If You're Not The One - Daniel Bedingfield. I just really like this song. It sort of reminds me of things.

Millionaire - Dr. Hook. This song reminds me of my dad - I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in over a year though.

Prepare_for_war - Netstorm(game.) You can feel the anger and fear in it - it isn't actually much but it seems to be a lot.

12. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

AC/DC - Hard as a rock
    The first album I ever bought, and all because this song. I love it!

Metallica - Unforgiven II
    The best metallica song ever. I still listen to it all the time, even though it's years since I bought the album. I just love the beginning when the horns get louder and louder, and then the guitar kicks in. Ooooh! :D

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Stavesacre's Keep Waiting.

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For Feep Sake!! Yerril! I agree with you about Moulin Rouge.
    Tango de Roxanne and Nature Boy are absolutely great! This is the first and only musical I like (love even) and I usually despise them. First thing I did after watching that movie, was buying the soundtrack and cancel everything I should be doing that day.

There is something about The Alan Parson's Project's album 'Eye in the Sky'. It gives you something to think about.

15. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Hmmm i'm not a fan of 80' 90's music you know the old stuff. No offense to you old farts out there. :p

But Hurricane by Bob Dylan has to be one of the best songs out there. It details the life of Rubin "Hurricane Carter" and how his life incidently turns bad. Whenever your down and you think you've had it bad. Listen to this song it will make you realise that your life isnt that bad. :)

16. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton: very beautiful song... reminds me...

I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith: This one almost got me to tears, and sometimes it still does, one of the most beautiful songs ever!

if wrote all the songs that had an impact on my life.. phew! that be a long post ;)

17. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ive got a strange taste in music, or so im told, as I enjoy some really peculiar bands, any way, here are a few songs which I think are signifigant.

The One-Foo Fighters
    I enjoyed the Foo Fighters a while back, with songs like Breakout and Little Me, but this track just whisked me into a whole new level of respect for the band.

Fresh Feeling- eels
    Perhaps the only song I know capable of putting me in an emotional mood. Don;t get me wrong, certain songs make me feel happy, others make me calm, but this one could probably make me cry in the right state of mind. A beautiful track.

Fly Swatter- eels
    This song got me started on the whole eels music side. Odd lyrics sung by E (the singer) which compliment the strange instrumental blend they use.

Warriors of Ice-Rhapsody
    A fast and powerful track which got me listening to symphonic rock and power metal. Class stuff, and Rhapsody even have a fantasy story behind their music.

Defender-Manowar
    This song is brilliant, and their are some lines sung by none other than writer Orsen Welles (I hope I spelt that right)

The Crown and the Ring-Manowar
    Same band but this one is a very light-hearted song, with organs as one of the main instruments despite Manowar being a heavy metal group.

There are more, but then i'd just be babbling again.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Somewhere between "Take This Job and Shove It" and the "Looney Tunes" theme. ;) :D

[ January 03, 2003, 15:11: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

19. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stand - Sly and the Family Stone
    This song (and Sly in general) opened my eyes and helped me move in a more positive direction.

The End - The Doors
    This song reminds me of the people who are no longer with me. Specifically my brother, Brian, and my wifes sister, Pam.

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I cared about music just about a few years ago when a local radio station aired their delicious 715, that was one great list, the best.

Gollum's song - From the second movie album, love it! I wish the third movie was out.

U2 where the streets have no name - need explaining? didn't think so

Coldplay, Yellow - this song introduced me to coldplay, great group.

U2, hold me thrill me kiss me kill me - reminds of on of their concerts I went in Holland.

The verve bitter sweet symphony - that clip is great with those guys walking down a busy street.

And tons of others I can't specifically remember right now. One more though.

Secret of mana theme song, square - Can't help it, that song introduced me to rpg's and still now it sends shivers down my spine when I hear it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.