1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite Duel (movie sceen or real life)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, May 28, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, everyone knows about all the duels that have happened in the past. Most notably the gun battles in the old west. Well, I want to know what your favorite dual was, who was fighting, and who won.

My favorite is from the movie Highlander where Connor is challenged to a duel while he is totally wasted and he gets stabbed too many times to count...but in the end he "gives up" and apologies to the French guy.

[Edit] thanks Rally! :rolling:

[ May 28, 2003, 21:21: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Kitrax: It's spelled "duel," not "dual," in this case! :)

My favorite is the duel between Inigo Montoya and Count Ruggerio near the end of "The Princess Bride." I love how Inigo matches the wounds that Ruggerio has given him, and then just kicks butt because "I want my father back, you son of a b*tch!" The subtleness of Mandy Patinkin's parries when he's down is amazing.

Of course, Steve Martin fending off the street toughs with classical fencing moves while wielding a tennis racquet (from "Roxane") is also pretty amazing.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My favorite dual is Tom and Jerry. Hilarious pair.

(Ack, Rallymama, you posted yours a minute before me! :mad: ;) )

My favorite duel was between Homer Simpson and the Hell's Devils leader, where they fight on a mountain with motorcycles. In their hands.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tough question.

The duel in Rob Roy was great ... when Liam Neilson is just about dead and cleaves the british chap in twain.

My daughter is watching the Three Musketeers ... lots of great ones in there!

Speaking of Tom & Jerry ... remember when they did the Three Musketeers theme? Some good sword-work ;)

Probably my #1 would be Luke vs Darth Vader in Episode V, ending with Luke's severed hand. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

My favorite duel would have to be the one between Rob Roy and Archibald Cunningham at the end of Rob Roy. It was very nice to see people acting as if they were using swords and not weightless props.

I agree with Rallymama that the Inigo Montoya - Count Rugen duel in the Princess Bride was great. It is just a pity that the duel between Inigo and Westley wasn't done nearly as well in the film as it was in the book.

6. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hard to choose one.

-Rob Roy. (seems popular)
    -Several one-on-one fights in "The quest"
    -Néo and Smith in the first Matrix.
    -The last scene of "Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo"
    -Jamel Debouzze and Gérard Darmon in "Mission: Cléopâtre" :D
    -Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Zi Yi in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
    -Obi-Wan and Darth Maul in Starwars.
    -Jet Li beating the hell out of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover in "Lethal weapon IV"

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you could call it a duel, in "For a few more dollars" when Lee Van Cleef is shooting Clint Eastwoods hat.

8. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul in "The Phantom Menace".
    2. Luke vs. Vader in "Return of the Jedi".
    3. Rob Roy vs. Cunningham in "Rob Roy".
    4. Russel Crowe vs. 5 gladiators in "Gladiator" (the one where he steps out, butchers the lot of them and goes back in... :cool: )
    5. Jet Li using Aaliyah as a weapon against some woman martial artist in "Romeo Must Die".

The list could go on and on, but I'd better stop here.

9. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Lord Dark Helmet versus Lone Star in Spaceballs

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here are the great ones :thumb:

Lone Star vs. Dark Helmet from "Spaceballs"

King Arthur vs. The Black Knight from "'Monty Python & the Holy Grail"

Bruce Lee vs....well, anybody.

I hate to be a broken record...but Neo vs. Agent Smith in the Matrix was jaw-droppingly cool.

And now...the mother of all epic battles...

My chubby female cat with no claws beating the living sh*t out of a dog 3 times her size. :eek: Simply epic. Go Spud!!! :D

11. The_Anarkist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think that when neo fights with the metal pole is good. I cant really say anymore incase you havent seen it. but when he fights, with the metal rod. That is a good fight scene. As is the one where he fights Smith at the end of the original, in the subway. Either of thsoe are my favourite

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ninja Scroll - Jubei Kubigami vs. Tessai, Jubei vs. Mushizo, Jubei vs. Utsutsu Muzuro, and Jubei vs. Himaru Gemma.

Fist of Legend - Jet Li vs. General Fajita, and Jet Li vs. the older Japanese master (forgot the actor's name)

Oz - Simon Adebisi beating the crap out of both Chucky Pancamo and Peter Schibetta.

Star Wars: Phantom Menace - I actually liked this movie, despite the presence of Jar Jar Binks. Loved the duel of Darth Maul vs. Qui Gon Jin and Obi-Wan.

Terminator 2 - Arnold vs. Robert Patrick.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just thought of the greatest duel of all time. It was in Hot Shots: Part Dux where Charlie Sheene (SP) is fighting Sadam and after awhile the two get tired so they take a break, but their shadows keep fighting. :D :rolling:

14. Woody Woodrow Banned

The final fight of The Count of Monte Cristo

Doc Holliday versus Johnny Ringo-Tombstone

Aragorn and the super Orc-The Fellowship

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Count of Monte Christo. Very nice duel at the end. And of course Star Wars.

16. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmm, Luke vs Vader.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Matrix: Neo against smith (not smiths)

James bond, man with the golden gun: Bond against scaramanga

And one of the best:

Heat: deniro versus pacino (now theres some talent)

18. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Mine is not just a scene but a whole movie. Its title is "Enemy at the gates" and it describes the duel of two snipers, a german and a russian, in the ruins of Stalingrad. The story is true, but unfortunately I can't remember the names of the snipers.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Real: Aaron Burr v. Alexander Hamilton (Burr was a relative of mine...)

Movie:

Qui-Gonn/Obi-Wan v. Darth Maul

Luke v. Vader (a close second)

Any Errol Flynn sword fight!

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @ Sir Bel: Did you know that Errol Flynn's every move was choreographed, while Basil Rathbone was actually a talented fencer? Too bad he always played teh bad guy against Errol, and so had to lose. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.